When does the smell of weed get strong? During drying or Curing?

Shit after my first plant i figured it out. My sticks never snapped when i jarred it. Depended on how the outer part of the bud felt. If it felt like it was drying too fast i snipped them all into jars and just watched the jars so they dried slower in the jars for me. Takes alot of twisting turning and laying jars on the sides and all but it worked super well for ne this way as a beginner. At night time until they maintaines a good rh. I would leave jar open but leave the lid on the jar upside down covering half or a bit more of the jar so it didnt dry fast at night. Hope this help u on ur first one to make it come out good and not hay taste. It worked for me. U can do it.

5 Likes

good morning and good day to everyone one!

6 Likes

ROFL…yeah right my poor motorcycle is getting old all by itself lol…

3 Likes

My meters are coming today and I definitely can send some pictures of the progress

2 Likes

I started week 12 of my flower. Bro

3 Likes

Sir Dabs-A-Lot👌🏾

2 Likes

Thanks bro and my plants where kind of the same too bro.

1 Like

Here’s a update: after 6 days of drying my buds are dry to the touch and since this is my 1st time I didn’t want to over dry so at the moment the stems didn’t snap. But I put them in jars and now there curing.

2 Likes

What I noticed with my last few harvests, is that there is a HUGE spike in the grassy smell the day after harvest which dissipates during the week or so of drying. Then it just smelled like weed.

I cure in mason jars in a dark closet. Each time I burp the jars, I take a good sniff and I have noticed that my buds start off with a “weed“ smell which goes away over time. And that is when I will start to notice other terp (fruit and pine) smells.

But the smell of weed was strongest during drying. Thank goodness the fan in the basement bathroom works so well. The whole house would have smelled like fresh weed. Which I probably wouldn’t mind, I just don’t want it in my house for a week.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say what could have happened to your bud man. The are so many things that could go wrong throughout the grow process. I’ve lost taste one time when I had a apartment inspection. I had to put 50 plants in a uhaul truck for like 24 hours during the summer in San Diego. After that the plants grew… But very poor taste and smell… How far along the drying and curing are you on?

2 Likes

Looks good too me. What did it smell like when you cropped… And how does it smell now?

1 Like

Damn bro that sucks and I dried for 6 days and now I jus started curing 10 hours ago. After I burped it for the 1st time I could smell the weed smell fine.

When I cut them down they didn’t smell now is a sweet smell too it now.

2 Likes

Damn man… If your plants didn’t have a very danky pungent smell when you cropped, it’s not a good sign. Cannabis is at its best when it’s alive. A cropped plant is decomposing. After it’s cropped you just try to preserve the terps that’s already in the plant. Some dankyness might come out. But more then likely there was a mistake along the way. That maybe shocked them and stopped the terp production. Many things can slow that down. I noticed also a increase in trichomes after I switched to full spectrum leds.

1 Like

This is a pertinent question that each owner may relate to. You know how it goes; sometimes you can put the best-smelling marijuana in a jar, go back to it a few days later, and discover that it either smells like old laundry, has little to no smell, or has none at all.

The amount of moisture determines the aroma quality of buds that have been preserved. Drying must be done correctly as the first step in this procedure, and a grow room or small cabinet area is ideal for this. Most experts agree that a good drying temperature is between 15 and 20 °C, with a humidity level between 30 and 50%. Most producers utilize different methods to help create the proper air circulation needed for this procedure.

The taste and smell of the cannabis or edibles weed will be very faint when it has been properly dried. Nothing compared to the overpowering smell that was present in the first few days following harvest or during trimming. While some would start smoking their cultivated cannabis from this point on and take this loss of fragrance for granted, others take extra steps to preserve the aroma of their meticulously grown cannabis. The following stage is known as “curing.”

Curing is comparable to how items like wine and cheese age. Although the major consideration while curing cannabis is humidity rather than a fermentation process. Because some moisture remains in the cannabis despite the fact that the majority of the moisture has evaporated and left the plant throughout the drying process. You may prevent the flower from drying out too quickly and the evaporation of the weed’s aromatic terpenes by storing your marijuana in air-sealed glass jars. leaving you with a piece of dry grass that is musky, funky-smelling, and unpleasant. Visit Grassdoor, to buy the best chocolate weed edibles.

5 Likes

Just when you thought that thread was about to be archived, something like this comes along…

:rofl:

5 Likes

I was hoping to see how to slow the drying process down in a very low tech way.

5 Likes
  • Whole plant drying as much as you can, don’t wet trim
  • 60/60 rule (55-60% RH at 60° F)
  • I’m experimenting with pretty much no direct airflow, therefore I keep my RH a bit lower now to prevent mold, but I want to see if I can get to that 60% RH again with pretty much no airflow to slow down the drying even more and prevent the outside of the buds from drying sooner than the inside.
6 Likes

Update: ok, i let them hang dry on the main branches for 5 or 6 days. I noticed the crispiness on day 5. I did some research and noticed; you are supposed to jar them when they are kind of crispy on yhe outside while still having a spongy feel to it. Today im trimming, the buds are dry, but the next 4 weeks will be a solwer controlled dry of the buds. They still smell dank as the day i cut them down. The chlorophyll i still breaking down and they WILL still have some moisture. This is good. When you jar them for a day or two they should be gaining some sponginess back. Almost the consistency of a finished bud. During the cure process its going to harden up a bit while still being spongy. I understood the concept better after watching a few videos and heating the phrase “what you’re smoking is the dried bones of the weed.” If that’s the case, its evident why people can screw up the drying part. Maintain your funk by leaving the leaves on the plant and slowly drying her out. It will pay off.

4 Likes

Exactly right! The slower the better, trying to get all parts of you bud (outside, inside) at the same moisture level. Dry too quick and you’re screwing the outside of your buds, destroying cannabinoids & terpenes. Jar up, put a little hygrometer with em and try to keep it around 62% for a month (or 2 - better) and you’re sweet… For vaping, I like to keep em at 62% as well, for smoking probably better to go just below that, around 58…

5 Likes

I’ve been reading allot about this lately with my recent harvest an this is one thing I found
Flower Room Humidity and Temperature

The ideal cannabis flowering humidity is between 40% to 60%. During flower, lowering your relative humidity level can help prevent mold and mildew from forming.Jul 12, 2022

5 Likes