When does the smell of weed get strong? During drying or Curing?

I’m in the process of drying my harvest. Is it supposed to smell strong now or when I cure?

My temperature is between 60 and 75 and humidity at 40-55. But The temperature has mainly been at 65° & humidity has been between 48% and 50%. I know it fluctuates but my area humidity is low 30s and the temperature is in the 20s right now.

If you could help please enlighten me with a few words.

4 Likes

Usually lose most smell during dry and it comes back during cure. Make sure not to let it get too dry hanging or taste and smell will be hayish. On e my outside of buds feel dry and crispy almost and inner is moist i kar mine with hygrometers and watch the jars if it gets over 65 rh i open shake a bit and lay on its side for a whike. Shake again and cover til rh gets up there again. Once rh maintains between 58 and 62rh for 24 hrs or more u can leave the jars alone for cure. Ive had best luck this way just have to watch jars and shake them up quite a bit til rh is stable so u dont mold any. Good luck

9 Likes

Ok thanks Bro and am trying to make sure I don’t over dry also. None of the steams are snapping their jus bending. So I think am good on that part at least. I just got some widemouth mason jars and I just ordered some humidifier meters for the jars they should be here Wednesday and at the same time my plants should be dry do you think I need to get a I R meter also to help identify if the plants are dry or not?

3 Likes

@Growmanwilk18 , great advice from @Mark0427. And also as soon as the stems snap you will know they are ready to be bottled. Just something to remember is if its cold/wet/rain around you, make sure the buds dont mold, this can be done by burping the jars daily.

3 Likes

i think lower temps an humidity when drying make a better cure. you got this! i am a beginner but i have done summer and winter. winter does better for me. read @kapouic journal and @hoppiefrog talking about cold curing. please dont confuse RH with jar humidity. its alot to learn but its worth it

8 Likes

For sure rh and moisture content are different

8 Likes

@hoppiefrog so you cure in the refrigerator?

4 Likes

Winter is great especially if you have a unheated basement that stays in the 50’s-60’s. BUT NEVER put them outside to dry when it is freezing out. Ask me how I know lol. Frozen and re-thawed is a mess.

8 Likes

I would cry.
Plus, I thought Missouri was in the South, and didn’t get cold.
:rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

Missouri gets snow. My neighbors are from st louis area. They daughter and grandkids still live there.

4 Likes

If you can say, what State are you in Mark?

3 Likes

Michigan. Go blue. Lol

3 Likes

:flushed::flushed:
I don’t know why I thought you were in a southern State.
Married into Go Blue family.
A loyal bunch you all are.
One of my bucket list items is to see a game in the Big House

3 Likes

I dont watch sport nor follow any. Only sport i do is grow mary jane. Its a rough sport sometimes.

5 Likes

Amen brother.
GO WEED GROW!

5 Likes

Well, it’s hard to say if there will be smell in your weed… Is it your first grow…? In what week did you harvest?

2 Likes

@Growmanwilk18 did ur meters get to u yet and hows the dry coming alone bud. Ya got some pics to show us all??? Love to seebyour progress

2 Likes

My first grow smelled like straight doodoo… Or it had a serious lack of smell and taste. Takes a couple times to get it right!

4 Likes

What did you change in your grow to help with aroma?

4 Likes

Nutrients and feeding was a big part. And my growing tactics weren’t that great… I cropped early which didn’t help either. It was a snow balls of newby mistakes that ended up with very little terps at the end! It was a big disappointment.

5 Likes