When to start topping

Hey, so my plant has grown a bit, should I top it ? I don’t want to rush it and ruin it tho. Maybe wait for another pair of leafs ?

@kapouic @Ladithief @docdre @piper @oldguy

8 Likes

@jardinero. Some folks top after the 4 th node but I like to have a couple more to start with a stronger plant.
I’d wait for another to come out. :+1::v:

8 Likes

Ok, ty :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I normally top after the 4th node. But I normally just keep the 2 or 4 strongest stems after veg.

Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

5 Likes

I let her go to 6-7 nodes, top her back down to 3-4.
Then train outwards for a week. Ready to flip if you want.
Bonus - you get a pretty good clone from her top.

Sprout - 3 to 5 days
Seedling - 10 days to 2 weeks
Vegetative - photos, as long as you want (2 months min). Autos have their own schedule. (the 2 month thing is to reach the full potential)
Transition - from veg to flower–10 days to 2 weeks
Flower - 65 to 70 days assuming something don’t go wrong

read the plant … be the plant … smoke the plant …

stay golden …

8 Likes

:open_mouth: 3 nodes thats a big cut, I wouldn’t have the heart to do that :smile: (not with the first one at least). Topping it just a little bit its enough no ?
Btw they say that this strain is ready to harvest only after 8 weeks :smile: (seems like a bullshit tho xd)

3 Likes

Usually they mean 8 weeks flowering… often it doesn’t take vegetating into account… :nerd_face:

5 Likes

oh right, that would explain it :joy: I thought it was weird

5 Likes

And don’t forget, you can clone what you take off… So you’ll have 2 plants for the price of one! :smiley:

6 Likes

oh ye I wanted to do that, but thought it is usually taken after it grows a lot bigger :smile: so than its a better idea to wait and top it after more nods and than have the clone like piper said ?

3 Likes

You don’t want it to be to “woody” before the cut :wink:

4 Likes

Definitely get better root balls from young growth cuts;) @jardinero I prefer to top a seedling at the 6th nodes I find it gives me the best yeilds per sq ft if you have the height to work with .this will add 6" or so to the canopy. The goal imo is to fill the space with a solid canopy that is 18-36" deep so as to catch as close to 100% of the light before it hits the ground. I find topping at the 4th node is best for sea of green. Once again this is just what I have found in my experience:)

5 Likes

well thank you all for your advices :smile: so I will wait a bit for more nods and will get back to you :smile: definitely won’t do it on my own

3 Likes

Hey so, she is much bigger now and already growing 7th nod. I am thinking of topping and than applying LST ? I hope its not too late :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
But how much should I top it ?

@kapouic @oldguy @Ladithief

4 Likes

@jardinero. I’m pretty conservative. But I’d only take 1 or 2 nodes.
:v:

2 Likes

So about there ? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: And should I do some LST too ?

3 Likes

About there looks good. You can start lst anytime.
May want to give it a week or so to recover from the topping before doing too much training tho.
:v:

2 Likes

Alright wil do that :smile: thx!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. :sunglasses::v:

2 Likes

And btw I have put the cutting into a water, is it possible to make a clone out of it, eventhough its so small :grin:?

4 Likes