Where are you sourcing terpenes for your cartridges?

From where are you sourcing your terpenes? Are you creating your own in-house from plant material, or are you purchasing from a third party? If you are creating your own, can you describe the process for us? Is it cost-effective? Can your terpene extraction process be easily scaled? If you are purchasing terpenes from a third party, from where do you source? Can you share some of your favorite vendors? Do you want to share a bad experience you may have had trying to source terpenes? @memberdirectory today let’s talk terps!

9 Likes

To be out front we are a mfg of botantical terpenes isolates & blends. Syzygy Botanicals produces a high quality product which is tested internally by GCMS, run though distillation to clean out impurities and packaged in a clean room. What we make for you today will be the same in 3 months, 1 year, etc. Give us a try at www.syzygybotanicals.com

6 Likes

I am by no means an expert on terps, but at CannaCon Seattle I met the folks from True Extracts. This is an Arizona based company. I actually visited their retail store in Tempe. They seem to have a pretty good product. I would check them out at TrueExtractsLab.com.

I would talk to Johanna Salmon, she is the owner.

my 2 cents,

Larry

6 Likes

We Like Gold Coast Terpenes coming in at about $3.00 per ml

3 Likes

We separate our live resin extractions into sugar and high-terpene extract. Sugar goes out for sale on its own, the terps get mixed in with distillate for cartridges.

3 Likes

Nice! How are you fractioning your terps from your sugar?

1 Like

Most of the time during the curing process you will naturally get a fairly clean separation into two layers. Very rarely do we have oddball strains - one notable one had terps that were so viscous the crystals remained suspended in solution and never properly settled to the bottom, but this is the exception and not the rule for us. Sometimes you can re-crash it second time when purging it a little more, or just by letting it sit longer, but these are generally very small in comparison to the first crash. You’ll still never really get a clean separation, there’s always going to be some THC in your terps, and some terps in your THC unless you really go through increased efforts to separate the two.

You can just pour them right off the top in most cases, especially if you water bath it with a little tepid or warmish water to help loosen them up and make them a little more runny. We don’t go through that much effort to strain them, because leaving the crystals still damp with terpenes means we still leaven in enough flavoring to make it taste really good.

3 Likes

They are good people, I’ve used their terps. They have many blends to choose from.

1 Like

Can anyone vouch for a terpene extract that is truly indistinguiashable from cannabis derived terpenes? Everything I’ve tried so far hasn’t been close, so jw if that’s an unrealistic expectation. I know it’s not cost effective, but that’s not a major priority so I generally stick with cannabis derived. Blue River terps were great until they had to suspend online sales, Empire Wellness is prettty nice in the meantime. I’m trying MassTerps next, arriving tomorrow. They’re the first local business I’ve seen enter the terp market, from Amherst, MA, not cannabis derived but still looking forward to it. True Extract Lab did an amazing job on the graphic design of their website, I might have to try them next. I wish consumer reports did a review to rely on for good advice, is there an equivalent source for unbiased information in terpines?

2 Likes

Let us know your thoughts on this terp company’s goods when you try them out

1 Like

They arrived today, and initial impressions are they’re spot on. Received their gelato Liqufier, and five different terpene bottles-- granddaddy purp, sour alien, sour diesel, lemon tree and gelato, all have a pleasant and authentic aroma. FIrst time I can say that. Delta 9 Sunset Sherbert terps and Denver Terpenes Grape Stomper, don’t come close, although Denver Terpenes is significantly better than Delta 9. My Girlfriend, who I run all my terpines by, was shocked when I told her the Mass terps weren’t cannabis derived. Comparing their sour diesel to Empire Terpine’s much more expensive cannabis Sour Diesel, I don’t think I’d know the difference in a blind test. Will know for sure when I test for flavor and affect after mixing with distillate & liquifier to fill a CCell cart, but I feel pretty safe vouching for them. I suppose I answered my own original question.

1 Like