White tendrils(?) growing around hemp sprouts?

We’ve recently tried our hand at growing hemp and, to our amazement, many of the seeds actually sprouted! So far the space we made for them has looked good an we’ve watered them regularly, but then I spotted white tendrils growing around them. At first glance I thought they were some type of mushroom because they have these striated black almost-caps on the ends. I looked up any info about what it could be but couldn’t find a definite answer, except that it might be a fungus and that some fungus is good for hemp, which eased my mind. However, when I walked out to water today there were even more of the tendrils AND some of them had attached themselves to the leaves of some sprouts! I managed to get most of them off and ripped up the bigger ones but I’m at a loss of what to do from here. So, three questions: what in the worlds are these things? Are they bad for the sprouts? and Should I move the sprouts to pots or keep them where they are?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated! I took two pics, one of the sprout that got the most damage and the tendrils themselves.

Thanks in advance!!

Update: Thank you so much for the answers/advice! I’ve heard more than once now that we should maybe move some of the sprouts to control them which we did (thank you garybo for the tap water tip!) but also left some of the other smaller sprouts alone just in case. And today when checking on them, the tendrils are now gone! I’m not sure if I should be comforted by that, that they might have just died off or if I should still be worried that they might come back?

Any other advice is totally welcomed!

1 Like

I have mushrooms/fungus growing around my plants often but I am in living soil… they come up they die they feed your soil… The book by Jeff Lowenfels “Teaming with Fungi” explains it well

1 Like

That bigger plant that has the speckled leaves looks like it has thrips. Look closely there super micro tiny.

I would put them into a pot and control what type of soil I’m using. When I use a new soil, I soak the soil with tap water so the chlorine in the tap water will kill any bad stuff in the dirt. After the soil dry’s out the chlorine will evaporate.

Good luck and please keep us abreast of how it works out, I’m intrigued.

Thank you so much for the advice! We actually moved some of the bigger sprouts to separate pots and used your tap water tip on the soil! Right now, the white tendrils are no longer growing, but I’m still a little wary about it.

It also kills anything good but there is a study that say you bio-mass recovers in 24 hours…so just make sure you aren’t using any soil with good biomass in it as you are wasting money with that technique… you can always re-amend if required…

1 Like

Both of your comments have made me feel a lot better and a whole lot more optimistic about our sprouts’ chances! Thanks a bunch!

Great. I assume it goes without saying to keep the soil’s ph in the mid 6 as well as your feed water.