Why do people buy premixed soil?

When you mix your own soil, you are assured that all components and quantities are correct. Additionally, that premix may have what you need, but is it in its natural form?

4 Likes

Would you share your soil recipe?

2 Likes

4 Likes

That plus any 8 bags of organic potting soil. I start with the base soil, worm castings, blood meal, bone meal, and guano first. Use hands and Pour back-and-forth between two five- gallon buckets

3 Likes

Awesome thanks! I have been using Roots Organic. You are saying add your recipe to 8 bags (how many cu?)of something like this?

4 Likes

I dont wanna miss speak. When u see pallets of organic top soil, there’s one size. Get 8. It doesnt go bad. The recipe is good for five five-gallon pots.

4 Likes

Out of convenience. When u make ur own mix you have to let it sit for so long to activate. I used to make my own mix and found it annoying.

I used subcools older recipe and it was fun but didnt like letting it sit and mixing for so long before It could be used.

Why make ur own when u can buy bags that are ready to go. They already have it down to a science.

5 Likes

I think to answer your question and mixing soil for the first time in 8 months yesterday, my body can answer why people buy promix/premixed soil. Even yesterday I was cutting corners and not mixing it as well as I could.

Garden 1 - Muscles 0.

5 Likes

:rofl::thinking:it really boils down to how badly you want those stratospheric % numbers. It is real deal holyfield work and brains. You are constantly rebalancing an ever changing equation. I got my soil recipe from a phenomenal grower in Maine. First person I saw use a ladder to tend a plant. He was kind enough to share his recipe. I pass in the same spirit. Premixed soils (foxfarm) charge a serious mark up for the service. Then, you are trusting that everything is in there, but do you know? No!

Never ever did I think:
I’d grow weed
I’d photo it
I’d share it
Where I come from, one plant is still a felony. When I started growing, it was from a profit motivated view. Feminized seeds and the best of everything. East TN is perfect for outdoor.
Guerrilla growing is a whole different game. You are putting it all on the line. Why play the game, only hoping for marginal outcomes? The Golden Leaf I grew actually burnt my nose, when I smelled the grinder.
So for me, the mentality has always been, if I’m gonna pop a seed I’m all in. Anything less would be a slight against myself, and every other person that worse stainless bracelets for reefer.:microphone::arrow_down:

5 Likes

Cuz my shits the bomb baby!

1 Like