Why my plants do not like air ventilator?

As soon as I turn on my small fan (got it from computer), plant leaves go down like plants are under or overwatered.
Why actually air ventilator is necessary? I am in 2nd week of flowering, buds starting to form so I do not have any fan at my growbox. And there is almost no smell as well.
My plants just feel better without fan.
Any comments?

1 Like

@philosopher. A proper exchange of air in the grow area is a necessity.
And air movement within your area keeps a whole host of issues away.

A few representative pics in natural light and a bit of info on your grow will help us help you.
And welcome to Growers Network. :+1::v:

5 Likes

@oldguy. Thanks for prompt replay.
It’s my first grow. I live in a middle of nowhere so not worried much about neighbours. Did my growbox myself without any ventilation. Growbox itself is not 100% isolated so I believe plants get fresh air enough.
When the lights are on I find leaves sweating in places where they touch or cover each other.
To avoid sweating I turn my small fan on, but it causes plant leaves to go down as described before. My only guess is that I need watering plants more as air flow makes pants to dry out faster. Could it be so?
Maybe it is ok to grow without fan if my grow area is not 100% isolated?
When the smell will appear? My guess is that if I do not use fan, there will be not much smell.
If the air humidity is ok, but leaves sweat in places where they touch each other, can it cause problems for buds?

Some photos of my stuff attached.

Thanks a lot in advance!

4 Likes

@philosopher. Plants look good overall.
The thing that sticks out most is the leaves sweating when they touch each other.
Not enough air flow.
Plants need to move when the fan is on.
Leaves rustling not plant laying over. :+1:
The sweating on your leaves can cause White powdery mold and bud rot issues in later flower.
Humidity is too high and you need fresh air coming in and heated humid air going out.
Basically a fan is needed to circulate the air inside (your computer fan ) and another one to exhaust the space.
As far as smell. When flowers get larger they will smell a lot. I mean a lot. :grin:
I don’t run a filter and when my plants flower I can smell it outside the house and depending on wind across the yard.
There is no mistaking the smell. :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. Will do my best :+1:

3 Likes

@philosopher. Best of luck with your grow. :+1:
Keep us updated if you don’t mind. Like to see how it works for you. :wink::v:

2 Likes

I will. And I will need advices as this is my first grow and growbox is self made :laughing:
Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah I can only offer advice from the desert here but I or my girls would die w/o fans. In fact in bloom, I needed a tent circulation fan (move air about, move plants to make them stronger, keep pests at bay), an intake fan to pull cool air from outside (600w HPS light, very hot) and an exhaust fan that pulled the hot air out, filtered it and then shot it outside. That last bit was necessary because sure plants in week one or two smell like plants but after that, if you do your job right, folks can’t get w/o 50 feet and smell your ladies, had the cops here three times the first year. Carbon filter on exhaust fixed that.

But yes you want air movement at all stages of growth The muffin fan from the PC may not have the oomph to do what you need but there are many cheap/free alternatives that will work fine…

3 Likes

Definitely need some airflow microclimates are breeding grounds for molds/fungi wpm is a bitch to deal with…

4 Likes

This may sound weird but…thats what I hear. Growing in the desert (even growing indoors, controlled environment, in Las Vegas is still the desert) is interesting because the weather can kill a crop in hours (sun is like a Fing microwave oven) but the cool part (can’t believe I said that) was that I have almost ZERO pests and mold to contend with, the air here is drier than a popcorn fart and so I get to avoid alot of that.

3 Likes

Stagnant air depletes of co2 quickly plants need co2 to produce fat buds i understand what your saying i personally have had issues with inadequate airflow but i live in a completely different environment

4 Likes

You definitely need good air flow and you can get a good understanding by observing mother nature.

1 Like

In your efforts to stop light leaks you may have cut off outside CO2 from getting into the grow. Just a thought. Good luck!

1 Like

Or make your own out of water, sugar and yeast. Little low tech but worked for me for a long time until I went the tank route…

2 Likes