Why should we care about cannabis biodiversity?

Hey everyone, :v:

Just wanted to give y’all a heads up about our recent contribution to GrowersNetwok’s blog.
Really appreciate the opportunity to share our views and to get yours on the matter :pray:

We think IP is a critical question as we move toward full legalization. It impacts the entire value chain and patient/consumer experience.

@growopowners @DispensaryOwners @ProcessorOwners @LabOwner @Investors @ServiceProviders @MedicalProfessionals

10 Likes

bumping this one as we believe this is a critical topic for the future of our industry

What are your thoughts about cannabis IP and biodiversity ?

3 Likes

Appreciate your vision, cannabis is a chance for us to do agriculture in a better way.
Respect.

3 Likes

I think there will be room for everyone. I see patented strains as a benefit to the medical community who need specific traits on a consitant basis. The Budwisers will also want predictable and quantitative outcomes. That being said this is not the tobacco industry. Where preple only smoke Marlboro. Today I want an OG and remember that shunk we used to smoke. We all like to be that guy who smokes people out with that shit you’ve never smoked before.
Genetics are defiantly a factor but nothing compared to the the grow style, location, soil and on and on. This is a cultural movement, it’s a shared experience.

3 Likes

Hey everyone,

Here’s our last article on Breeders’ Rights and cannabis biodiversity

We believe the cannabis industry can be innovative and inspiring to the entire agricultural sector (beyond cannabis).

Let’s invent our model and be a source of inspiration!

2 Likes

I absolutely agree, @Strainly! I can back up this concept with my many years of industry experience in which I have seen paradigm shifts happen (mostly in equipment and techniques) that have their roots in the cannabis industry. Conversely, in recent years I have seen some big changes happen as big industry players have made their way into the cannabis space. BIG changes are on the horizon, to be sure.

Now IS the time to preserve not only cannabis genetics and unique cultivars, but also continue to spearhead cutting edge sustainable agricultural practices that ultimately transcend the cannabis space into agriculture at large! The irony is many of these “cutting-edge” agricultural practices are throwbacks to the agriculture as humans have done it (organically) for the last 10,000 years.

Thanks @strainly.io for recognizing a very real and serious need in our industry and taking action!

4 Likes

Agreed on several points. However, there is a risk with patents. As they become prevalent, they drive the industry in a spiral where innovation (new cultivars) happens almost only in a capital intensive context = breeders need strong financial resources to obtain and defend their patents.

It is difficult for the open source and the patent-driven models to coexist unless open source licenses exist.

See our latest article on the topic in Terpenes and Testing Magazine :wink:

3 Likes

I’m all for as much biodiversity in the cannabis market as possible, from the perspective of a long-time consumer and Medical Patient since 2009.

Over the last few years I have seen a drop in the diversity available in various dispensaries in my area and it really bums me out, to be honest. I’m someone who likes to try something new every time and my options have been narrowing down.

4 Likes

That’s an interesting view from the consumers’ end. Fellow breeders: time to step up and create some new genetics! I’m up for the challenge

Variety is the spice of life!

4 Likes

This is a subject that intrigues me a lot, I will read through the thread when I get home and I will comment.

On the left, old 90s hash plant, on the right original Haze.

2 Likes

I still have an Afghooey X Trainwreck originally from Trinity County that’s supposedly many years old. The leaves look just like the ones featured in leaf on the right in your pic. Thanks for adding that @todd.mccormick!

2 Likes

Hey everyone,

A lot of people worry about Big Ag and Big Pharma taking over the cannabis industry and confiscating biodiversity (this week again…).

Is there a way to reduce the negative odds? What can be done…?

Open Source breeding has emerged in Europe and proved to be an effective collaborative approach.

READ MORE

What do you think?

@growopowners @DispensaryOwners @ProcessorOwners @LabOwner @Investors @ServiceProviders @MedicalProfessionals @EquipManufacturers @EquipSuppliers @mastergrowers @GrowOpEmployees @LabEmployees
@growopowners @GrowOpEmployees @DispensaryOwners @mastergrowers @Caregivers @DispensaryEmployees @ThoughtLeaders @Geneticists @NewsMedia

5 Likes

Either lawsuits, or, contacting your local congressional rep to let them know about what’s going on. Companies that think they can patent genetics, should not be allowed to exist. I’d say, with exception, GMO can be patented, but then again, we shouldn’t support that garbage either. Vote with your dollars!

1 Like

Dispensaries in CO have the same selection of strains now as they did 6 months ago. Half the fun used to be going in and seeing something new everytime…

2 Likes

OPEN SOURCE GENETICS!!! It’s a solid approach to the options.

Professor Dave

2 Likes

I’m curious about something… Can someone actually patent a gene, or is it the path to isolating that gene that is patented?
On the one hand I understand genetic engineering to be splicing unrelated gene sequences. This is probably patentable as it could not normally occur in nature, but actually patenting what nature created is not, if I understand correctly, legal.
If I understand correctly, the patent issue comes up with how the markers are detected, right?
Someone cannot patent Bubba Kush, for example, AND they could patent how the markers are detected for Bubba Kush.

2 Likes