Will legal clone providers ever switch to autoflower plants from seed?

Wasn’t sure how to word a title on this. What I mean is, considering from one $40 clone (at top price) you can cut dozens of clippings and root them, would it possibly be more lucrative for legal producers (especially the ones in Canada) to start really killer auto flower seeds and sell those plants to consumers?

The only reason my mind is here is because I have a friend who would like to get into seeds but only if you can GM them to not give seeds. I immediately told him that I was out :slight_smile:

I am no GMO all the way.

2 Likes

Totally possible with standard breeding practices, and would be much easier with some help from a lab that can test genetics (a ploidy test), such as Phylos Bioscience.

If he sold seed that was a cross of a diploid parent and a tetraploid parent, the resulting F1 offspring would be a triploid and sterile. It could be cloned, but not bred, if autos were the focus, it would be a one and only. This is genetic engineering to sterilize a line through selective breeding, and has been done for a very (VERY) long time (cheaper than patents in a lot of cases). Another example is seedless watermelon. It is a triploid sterile line that it has been genetically modified through selective breeding.

5 Likes

Wow incredible.

2 Likes

I know one grower that takes cuttings of his flowering autoflower plants, and re-vegges them as clones!

4 Likes

I had a weak auto flower that I was able to do this to for about 6 rounds or so, then it never reverted back to a veg state. It just ended up being a cloned bud until I finally killed it after 3 months, lol.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a mystery to me how the plant does that, especially because it’s an auto. I didn’t believe it till I saw it happen!

4 Likes

Right?

Mine wasn’t labeled an auto, so I was like, “wtf is wrong with this plant?” :joy:

3 Likes

And it was successful many times? I wonder about stability & yield. If you can find out deets I’d love to hear.

1 Like