WNBA star Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russian prison

Griner was convicted on drug charges ( vape cartridge ) in Russia with a judge sentencing her to nine years in a penal colony. Calls to free Griner have escalated, and her lawyers said they plan to file an appeal.

A Russian judge sentenced Brittney Griner to nine years in a penal colony after the WNBA star and two-time United States Olympic gold medalist was found guilty of drug possession.

Griner, who entered a guilty plea weeks ago, apologized to her family and wife.

“I made an honest mistake, and I hope that in your ruling, it doesn’t end my life here," Griner said addressing the judge.

Now that the trial has concluded, negotiations to free Griner are expected to continue between Washington and Moscow during a period of tension between the two countries.

Griner, who had played for Russian team UMMC Ekaterinburg since 2014 during the WNBA offseason, was arrested Feb. 17 at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo airport. Russian authorities said she carried vape cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage; Griner said during the trial that took place in Khmiki, Russia, that she accidentally packed them in haste and pleaded guilty “without intent.” The court, however, claimed she committed the crime deliberately.

Sauce

#freegriner

3 Likes

And how ironic that the countries anthem that she wouldnt stand for is her only hope.

6 Likes

Exactly. But also lets not get all boo hoo for her. She has been there multiple times playing basketball, she KNEW the rules which is zero tolerance in Russia. She pled guilty, because she was. So now she pays the price for breaking their laws. Folks in this country have gotten an attitude that they can do/get away with anything. She just found out it doesn’t apply there. I think arcaic laws like that are nonsence these days, but simply put that matters not.

I will also state that I DO NOT want her traded for a violent arms dealer. She knew exactly in her arrogance what she was doing so now she can pay the price.

And this is OLD news this happened a couple weeks ago at least.

Marty

6 Likes

someone was crying about this here in New York about the 9 years

I lived thru Rockefellers Drugs law here that would get you 1 to life for

a roach in the ashtray of your car :frowning:

and 9 years is harsh

the plants they hacked here last week would have had me in jail 4 or 5 years ago

we roll the dice and take our chances

be well and stay safe

Dequilo

maybe they would trade her for Leonard Peltier

4 Likes

Sorry to hear they are still busting balls my friend.

2 Likes