Yellowing leaf tips at top of plants

Hi Everyone!

I’m trying my first grow which has been quite a journey so far. Indica leaning autoflowering seeds were used and I’m growing in Coco with Percolite. I add Cal-Mag plus with each regular watering and add fertilizers twice a week. Some of my plants, especially the insanely larger ones are developing yellow leaf tips towards the top of the plant. Any idea what could be causing this? The flowering cycle should be ending soon, but it has taken longer than timelines on online sites suggested. I just want to make sure the plants don’t die on me right at the end.

Thanks!

5 Likes

No one quote me on this but in cocoa I think you need to be feeding more than twice a week. They look a bit light color to me.

Also, why are they wet?

Your 1st grow looks amazing BTW,

2 Likes

The burnt tips on the leaves are most likely from the plants getting their maximum in nutrients. That’s the way I try to keep mine. You just don’t want it to get any worse. Your plants look like they’re only in about week three or four of flowering. I would say you have it at the very minimum four more weeks to go. You will learn pretty quick with the plants don’t necessarily follow the same calendar as what you’re given by the seed grower. Watch your plants they will tell you what they need when they need it. Start a journal and then all your questions that you ask will get answered in the same place and you will have something you can go back to and refresh your memory. Some pictures of your plants when they’re not wet would be nice, two hours after lights on would be perfect. That seems to be when plants are the happiest when they go through the light cycle, at least in my grow room. Are you doing foliar feeding? If you are how often with what? What type of nutrients are you using.

Some close-up pictures of the leaves when they’re dry and some closer pictures of your flowers would also help in diagnosing your problem as well. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Another thing that I’m seeing here is your plants need all them large leaves stripped off. Probably about 30% of the plant material you have there needs to go. This will direct much much more energy towards your flowers. Never mind I looked back and these are auto flowers. You should be a lot more selective which leaves you remove.

4 Likes

They are still a bit lighter in color but have gotten darker as the grow continued. I had initial issues with PH due to what I later found out to be a soil PH meter that was faulty, but think the PH is on track now. Into my grow I read that Coco doesn’t really provide any natural nutrients, so you could be right about it potentially needing more.

They are wet in this pic because I just used a cal-mag foliar spray because I was worried it was a nutrient deficiency

Thanks! It’s been an interesting journey and definitely learning a lot!

4 Likes

If I were to remove leaves, are there particular ones I’d go for? Such as the largest of them? I think I did read on one source that Auto’s are more prone to stress, so one needs to be careful when pruning. Is that your experience?

2 Likes

We need to figure out your nutrient schedule first. What are you feeding them? Is it just things you’ve put together or is it a specific nutrients system?

1 Like

I took a decent amount off my auto today and kept thinking to myself, “everyone says don’t do to much to the autos”. I hope I dont regret it!

3 Likes

You’ll be OK. Auto flowers are strange if you’re growing the ones they get really big you can do a lot of defoliation on those but if you grow those ones that only get a foot tall and only get like three or four branches you need to be more selective with what you do to those.

2 Likes

Here are some pics of them after the foliar spray dried, although the light was only on for about 15 minutes at this time.

Thanks for letting me know the yellowing is likely from the plants being at their max level of nutrients. It’s also a help to know they look like they could need another 4 weeks to complete the flowering process. The seed sites I was looking at for info had said 3 weeks to complete the flowering process, and it’s already been about 3 1/2 weeks of flowering, so I was starting to think something had gone wrong.
If I’m trying to avoid the yellowing from getting worse, should I back off of fertilizers for a week or so to let the nutrient levels decrease? I am adding cal-mag plus at each feeding because I had read that Coco doesn’t provide any natural nutrients like the ones found in Cal-mag. If I back off fertilizer, would I also need to stop the Cal-Mag during that time? A grow journal is a really good idea, I need to look into starting one.

2 Likes

Right now the ferts I’m feeding them are the Fox Farm Trio ( Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom), although the feeding schedule it provided indicated for me to stop adding the Grow Big from the Trio at this point. I’m also using the Fox Farm flowering bloom powders, and at this stage am using the Cha-Ching with the fert mix. I mix them together twice a week for feeding and just do a cal-mag mixed with just water for feeding in between.

1 Like

You’ll have to let me know how they respond! I plan on growing another set of autos next, so would be good info to have. Fingers crossed your autos take it well!

2 Likes

I’ll tag ya over on my journal.

2 Likes

What kind of nutrients are you using?

1 Like

@happilyretired. Was posted above.

2 Likes

😵‍💫 oops, I missed it.
Well there it is you have a feeding chart. Follow it from here out starting at week three of flower and watch your plants watch the new growth it will tell you what it needs. But when you get to where it says it’s time to flush on the feeding chart post pictures before you stop nutrients. Some strains Flower much longer than others. It’s kind of a judgment call, it would definitely be something to get some input on when the time comes. From what I’ve seen most people stop feeding too early on their first grow’s.

2 Likes