Your advice/experience with the Electric Sky ES300 v3?

Howdy! I am a new grower and I’m starting out with a 4 x 4 tent with Electric Sky ES300 LED lights. The second light I ordered was on back order, so I supplemented my one electric sky with one additional 600 W HPS. In weeks seven and eight (the plants are auto Jack Herer) the plants under the electric sky versus the plants under the 600 W HPS reacted in a drastically different manner. The plants under the 600 W HPS outgrew the lights under the electric sky by about 4 inches. For reference, the plants are around 12 to 16 inches tall and I’m LS training.

I apologize for the long post, but I’m puzzled. I am wondering why the electric sky plants remained low and wide while the plants under the HPS really stretched toward the light. I’m not sure if I was giving the plants under the electric sky too much light? Or was the light to close and stunted those plants? I know the electric sky is an outstanding lamp, I just don’t have the confidence or experience in understanding the correct distance and dimmer settings on the ES300? The second ES300 will finally arrive tomorrow!!! so I really want to make certain I understand how to get everything dialed in. Thanks for any advice or recommendations!

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone running this light. Generally speaking, for dimmable LEDs, 12-16 inches is the best height above the plant tops. Your best bet is to get a light meter and use that to dial everything in. Have you ever seen Dr. Bruce Bugbee? He is the Marijuana Master. You can find his vids on You Tube among other places. Here is one on lighting for cannabis. It’s more than worth taking the time to watch. You will be much better prepared to look at lights after watching.

Also, lights that are too close to the plants will cause them to shorten. Move the light higher to make them stretch.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll watch the video.

2 Likes

Hey @cdm I believe the answer to your question is the red u get from hps. They cause the plants to stretch a bit more. That’s why the use metal halide in veg and hps in flower when using HID. Studies have shown cannabis to react differently to blue than red which makes sense considering they are on the opposite ends of the electromagnetic spectrum. Blue makes them bushy and red makes em stretch a bit but they say red good for bud formation. Blue to create bushy plants that can support weight then red flower instead red veg and lanky plants that stretch

1 Like