Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

Update Monday April 19 - At noon, I put the seeds into their respective shot glasses. Then I prepared several things for later. Plates & paper towels. I found ten hotel clear plastic cups still wrapped in plastic. I washed them anyway. I also found ten small hotel styrofoam cups, not even sure they will be of use. Then I took pics of all the soil, mixes, fertilizers I have on hand at this time. I’m hoping that they will suffice for what I use when I plant the seeds as I am sorta poor right now and don’t want to buy twenty dollar bottles of fertilizer. This is a personal grow just for myself, so it’s not like it’s a business or anything. LOL … I have a few questions that I’ll put in my next post. Thank you all!!! Especially @PreyBird1, who I do consider my primary mentor here.

12 Likes

Questions:

• How long do I need to soak seeds?

• Do I need to wear gloves to handle my personal grow?

• What size pot/tub/planter/fabric pot per plant for outdoor growing?

• Do I cut the bottom of the clear plastic cups out if I’m planning to pull them out of bigger pots later instead of transplanting them?

As always, thank you all.

4 Likes

12 hrs soak max. They need to be removed as soon as the tail showed up or the seedling could drown. I like to just paper towel them. Just in case.

4 Likes

Cut holes.

How big do you want your plants? I’m growing in 3 and 5 gallon pots. People is a LOT bigger for huge plants.

4 Likes

I’m thinking that since these are fresh seeds you provided that I can get away with a very short soak and just move onto the paper towel phase? I would like to do that in an hour or so? Would that be okay? Thanks!

5 Likes

An hour in hydrogen peroxide is what I normally do. Clean start.

5 Likes

Thank you! I’ve been watching your journal(s) because since you live in the same area as I do (judging from your moniker), we share the same outside environment. I think I got the cutting the bottom of the plastic cup thing from you. I’ve read so much I can’t recall everything or everybody.

I have ten seeds (4, 4, and 2) and have no idea how many females I will have. This will be an interesting thing, to sex them. Which brings me a new question … approximately when does that happen? So, since this is a personal grow just for myself, I’m probably good with 3 or 5 gallon pots, etc.

Thank you!

5 Likes

If your growing outside 20 gallon or minimum 10 gallon outdoor the plants can get huge. You dont need to wear gloves. Also sexing plants can take time. Usually a seed from sprout to usable plant is 47 days.

8 Likes

Yeah it will be fine but my seeds sprout in 12-18hrs.

9 Likes

Yup! We have a similar view of the mountain.

It’s not out today for me. It’s too hazy. Can you see it?

My outdoor grow from last year gave me about 2 1/2 ounces per 3 gallon pot.

6 Likes

The strain labels rock! I moved them to the outside of the shot glasses that I put that type of seed into for soaking.

5 Likes

Yes the labels are awesome that’s why i use them.

4 Likes

Okay, got them out of the shot glass soaking phase and into wet paper towels on mild heat with no light getting in. SO EXCITED!

6 Likes

im-so-excited

8 Likes

Well, the forum won’t allow me to just LOL so here it is, the long version

LOL

5 Likes

I hope you can sleep tonight.

5 Likes

Ha! I know you’ve been here and know the feeling. Sorta like xmas eve. I’ll probably check my babies at least twice throughout the night!!

6 Likes

Update … pics … not as exciting and fancy as most pics on this site … beginner’s pics LOL … so the pics are of my paper towel phase and of my mistake in how I prepped my plastic cups and my next batch of plastic cups. And then my first day notes. Pretty unfancy.

So, I have two plates with three sections. I put the three different types of seeds in each section on top of wet paper towels. Then I covered with wet paper towels. Then I put the second plate over the first plate, closing out any light. Then I put on a heating mat. It was pretty warm so I kept putting old baby diapers between the plates and that mat.

I was too scared they dry up so I turned off the heat just now.

Yes, I actually wrote part of the names of the seeds preybird1 gave me on the plate in permanent ink. Probably a bad idea in case I want to use them again for different strains, but they will also be a sort of trophy for me if I’m successful.

Okay, gonna try to get some sleep now … night!!

10 Likes

You are doing great. Keep up the good work…

6 Likes

of all the seedling starter i have tried light warrior was the best.

5 Likes