Advice for new outdoor grow?

THAT’S HIM!! Haha!

2 Likes

Your plants look awfully lite colored. It might be the strain or they might be a little bit hungry. I know nothing about what you planted them in but they shouldn’t be hungry at this size in any kind of potting soil. Unless it’s used or depleted. Just let them ride. Give them water in a ring two or 3 inches away from the plant. Force the roots to look for water. They will start off slow but when their roots are established you will be rewarded. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thank you, @happilyretired! I agree the plants look light in color. The medium is an organic potting mix I bought from Lowe’s. It’s brand new. Just the same, do you think I ought to add some kind of nutrients? I have some homemade compost and some store-bought Dr Earth fertilizer.

I’ve had a tough time providing the right amount of water to these little ones in big pots, especially during heat. Pot is still plenty heavy, indicating moisture at bottom, but is the soil at the top already too dry? Under the soil, I added a couple inches of gravel to allow better drainage. The medium is still holding water pretty well because it’s new, so I’m totally lost in terms of watering schedule for these babes. Would surely appreciate any thoughts.

1 Like

Oops, I forgot to mention that one’s a Sour Kush Auto, and the other is Zkittlez. Same batch as the Zkittlez I direct sowed in the raised bed. That one is twice the size and much darker. At this moment, they don’t seem to care for the pots/soil I’m using.

1 Like

I don’t know about organic. I use salts. If it were me I’d give it some 20/20/20 fertilizer at half dose. :thinking: you know a safe way to go would be fish emulsion. Plants love it and it might just do the trick. If you use it and have dogs make sure they can’t get to your plants. They will dig up your plant to get to that fish that’s not there. I know that for a fact!
:thinking: maybe @hoppiefrog Can’t help out.

4 Likes

I am not doing organic exclusively. Just stuff I had on hand. Will definitely try a little balanced NPK. All I needed was somebody to tell me it may not kill the babes! Lol! Thank you, sir!

2 Likes

I’m not saying it won’t kill them… i’m saying that’s what I would do. I wouldn’t do nothing. And for me personally if they die I plant more. I don’t have time for a plant that’s a drama queen. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Now, that’s what I’m talking about! Two of my four are thriving, and I have some more seeds on the way. I’ll do my best to bring these gals along, but if they’re not coming along much better when the new seeds arrive, I think it’ll be Adios!

1 Like

No. You nurture those plants like they’re your babies until the very end. I have a nice little plant going outside that I germinated and it popped out to leaves and leaned over and stalled for three weeks before it showed any sign of new growth. Yeah it’s way behind the rest of them but it’s looking really good right now. Besides the fact you haven’t tried to save any yet. Don’t give up before you start. Patience is your friend. Give them a half dose of nutrients in two days they should look a little better. If they don’t will try something different. But I think they will so do it un lets find out! :+1:t3::+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

I really appreciate your support. The stuff in my shed is 4-6-3. Would you recommend any 20-20-20 available at a big box or hardware chain?

Here’s the Sunset Sherbet baby with the spider. Spider’s pretty well hidden, though… :wink:

And here’s the other Zkittlez that is in my garden. Really growing quickly now, putting on a new set of leaves every day, including new baby leaves at the base of the biggest fan leaves. Is that how branches begin?? As you can see, I used a small skewer and some plant training wire to make a little support for this one. She was rocking and rolling in the wind the other day. Would love your feedback on that, too, as I don’t have a clue.

1 Like

Why don’t you look up nearest hydroponic stores. They are everywhere. People grow vegetables in hydroponics to plus the homegrown put a demand for it. Anyways if there’s one that’s not that far away, you can go see what they have as far as nutrient lines. Or just order something off Amazon. If you’re going to go out and purchase something you might as well get something geared to what you’re going to be doing. Give your plants something that you have for now.

1 Like

And wouldn’t you know it—there’s a hydro store about 5 mins from my house. If I’m ever able to grow a viable plant, I’ll owe you half the harvest!

4 Likes

Don’t let them sell you on anything. Look around, look at prices. Decide if you want to go liquid or crystal/powder. If you want to go simple and inexpensive with good results Jack’s 321 is very popular. There is a lot of people on this and other forums that use it. I use a generic 16-16-16 powder that I bought three years ago for veg outside and I use the sea grow bloom that I bought three years ago in flower with Crystal burst added to it on my outdoor. I also add whatever silica is available to strengthen stocks/branches. On my indoor I use completely different stuff.

3 Likes

They sold me on something. I am a sucker. Told me 20-20-20 was nonsense and sold me General Hydroponics FloraNova Grow 7-4-10. Ugh. I’ll order the right stuff on the internet. Lol.

On the bright side, he had tents, fans, and LED’s that I’ve been learning about on the web, so I got to chat with him about those products and get his opinions on a couple things. Quoted me about $600 to set up a 3x3. I ought to be able to do a little better than that buying it piece by piece, right?

4 Likes

Well he’s right. That is better. But when the plants are in veg in the ground outdoor, 20/20/20 or 16/16/16 is cheap and it works great for once a week feeding. For indoor you could do that whole lineup. all kinds of stuff to add. But I would advise getting through grow starting simple. Read up on different nutrient lines, once you decide which one you want to go with. Most of them have a three part base and then you build on that.

4 Likes

Unless soil is previously used, all nutrients should be available if u are using proper potting mix. So I would start to wonder… Did you feed the soil unnecessarily? If so possibly flush soil, if not is soil ph on point (6-6.7 ph) (soil best 6.5-6.7 ish) promix (6-6.2) . Never feed a baby plant before it has a proper set of 5 blade leafs opening unless soil is previously used and even then feed 1/4-1/5 the strength nutes until you see those 5 blade leaves

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s new soil that I’ve not amended with anything. My guess is that they’ve gotten too much sun and/or been over-watered. I don’t know the ph of the soil or the water (rain water I collect).

2 Likes

I was also really bummed when the feller at the hydroponics store told me in no uncertain terms that growing in the summertime in my area is an utter waste of time due to the high nighttime temps and humidity. So I am hoping he was wrong! Lol!

2 Likes

Mildew has ended all my grows prematurely for the most part outside down here. Every summer I say I won’t do it again but I’ve already put 2 outside this summer again. LoL I’m further south then you too and the humidity just blows. I gotta try ya know…I’ll get lucky or figure something out one of these years.

5 Likes

As a new grower, it looks like I may have some tough lessons in store! I can grow pretty much whatever vegetables I want out in my raised bed, so I guess I naively assumed this would be the same… Anyway, I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed. And I’m gonna buy me a tent! Lol!

3 Likes