Advice for new outdoor grow?

@pbaker1111 the good news for you is that if you can be patient and follow guidance…you are in the right place! The guys and gals on this site have grown in just about every medium and method!! If you’re wise enough and take full advantage of their combined experiences, you will save yourself a lot of money and heartache.

Keep in mind everyone here is interested in your success. It will be your responsibility to do your homework! Go to the Univerity heading in the top banner and spend some time reading the great articles. With this preperation, you will be able to ask pertinent and educated questions. You can also use the magnifying glass in the top right banner to search all the topics that have been previously posted on Growers Network…You want to know about supercroping or DWC search these articles before asking questions…respect their time, treat them as the great people they are, and I’m sure you will make a home here! Good Luck

6 Likes

Buy em1 = no fungal issues

2 Likes

I hear that from many ppl. I’ve always had a green thumb and just made the transition easily. Like flash said your already a step ahead with the forum and your plants look like they are just dandy. You have no worries but in other news what are you growing this season in the garden?

1 Like

You use it as a foliar?

EM-1 is new to me! Thanks for the lesson!

2 Likes

Loco, I’m growing several varieties of tomatoes, and they’re my pride and joy. Also have chard and the last spinach and lettuce. Bell peppers, gold potatoes, butter beans, yellow squash, pumpkin, watermelon in the ground, too. Lots of herbs, my favs of which are chives, basil, and parsley. They’re going great this summer for whatever reason. Have some sunflowers this year, too, and I’m learning that some kind of night-feeding bug loves to eat sunflower leaves!

3 Likes

My watermelon and cantaloupe are only about 2 or 3 weeks in…just started to vine up. I got a good jumpstart on my cukes and my zinnias which are kicking ars too. I left out the peppers this year, no one eats them in my house so I just figured I’d cut my losses. I only have cilantro going for herbs but I grow cilantro most of the year anywho. Fresh Cilantro is much tastier, like most everything I guess that goes for. :laughing: Ill remember to tag ya into my corner of the world - I keep somewhat of a journal kinda sorta, not so much that great maybe but not really. . LMAO :rofl:

4 Likes

Man, that’s awesome!! I can’t grow a cantaloupe to save my life. And that’s really tough, cuz it’s my fav fruit. I have tried several times and never grow sweet ones.

1 Like

A quick fact for you…if you want high brix (sugar) in any crop you need to apply a good amout of Potassium, Bitter celery, carrots, lack of flavor in tree fruits or melons all DIRECTLY related to the Potassium provided!! FWIW

5 Likes

That is awesome, sir! I had no idea. I’ve grown stuff using kinda unscientific approaches my dad taught me, and I’m really enjoying learning more of the technical background that makes my dad’s ideas work. Thanks for the lesson. Sincerely appreciate it.

1 Like

All of the above, (foliars as needed)

2 Likes

Well, I went ahead and added a half-dose of the nutrients to the plants. The pots finally felt light enough to water, so I split a half-gallon of water with fertilizer (ended up being a quarter t-spoon lol) between the two of them, having not watered in a few days. The pots/medium are holding water for a long time, I guess because the soil is new. It happens to be Kellogg organic potting mix. I’ve learned a lot in the month since I bought the bag of mix. I think it is too dense, and I suspect that’s why my plants aren’t taking in nutrients/growing larger. I bet if I pulled them up, the roots wouldn’t have penetrated this soil well. Anyway, here’s hoping the nutrients work! :wink:

1 Like

That’s the soil I use in my pots outdoor and I use it to start my plants before I transplant them in the ground.
I will share some pictures of my current grow with you and the pots the plants are in, these pots are all 12 gallon. The ones that are sunk in the ground have no bottom.These plants have only been fed twice since put in the soil. I just now walked out and took these pictures. The wire around the two plants is 4 feet tall. 6 inch squares.

4 Likes

Beautiful temps…8A…are you in southern cali…that sounds like Santa Barbara or Ventura County…?

1 Like

Well, I guess it ain’t the soil! :rofl: Your plants are beautiful! I like the air pots and the ones sunk in ground. They’re bushy and dark colored, just like they oughta be!

I can’t help but wonder how mine may have differed if I’d gotten a nice, early start and beaten a lot of the heat and pests.

I bought a couple 20-gallon cloth pots. When I transplant the Sunset Sherbet, I think it ought to be into one of those cloth bag pots.

1 Like

I’m in Virginia Beach, VA. We used to be 7b until maybe 10 years ago.

3 Likes

If you’re talking about using a 20 gallon pot outdoor starting today. I think you’re wasting your time. The plants won’t have enough time to utilize that soil. I’m fairly certain that your plants will be in flower in less than four weeks.Hell I have some stretching now.

3 Likes

I’m in stretch outside too…

3 Likes

Stuffs going off early this year for some reason. Probably all the early versions that I’m growing.

1 Like

Our sun cycles different this year. Last year I was fine all year. Although we have had tons of rain