Alternative to EverClear?

Good morning people of GN. Yesterday I found out I had won a Magical Butter Machine. I am super happy and I started looking into recipes I want to make. I have made some infused coconut oil and infused butter before, no problem. But now I’d like to explore a bit more the dark arts of alcohol extractions. I know it may seem funny to those who are doing real extractions, but a noob has to start somewhere!

A lot of the recipies requires Everclear alcohol, which is not available here in Canada.
Does anybody knows of a food grade safe alternative? Something I could use in the Magical Butter Machine?
@blackthumbbetty , @hoppiefrog, @Ladithief, I know you three are extracting wizards! Or if anybody else has suggestions, that would really help! :nerd_face::face_with_monocle::nerd_face:

As usual, any answers or suggestions are welcome!

3 Likes

I think the machine adds heat? If so alcohol may not be the best for the machine. Dangerous vapor’s;) u can on other hand use anaheadrous ethanol.u can get it thru the liquor store need to order tho. U could try olive oil in the machine or go to pharmacy and ask for the coconut oil product behind the counter.

3 Likes

Here’s one of their recipe on their website :

Ingredients

Magical Tincture

• ¼-1 ounce/7-28 g botanicals per cup/240 ml*, decarbed

• 2-5 cups/475-1180 ml Everclear grain alcohol, 151 or 190 proof (or vegetable glycerin)

• Note: Vegetable glycerin tincture are about 1/3 as potent as an alcohol tincture for the same amount of botanicals

• Important: CAUTION: MATERIALS ARE HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. Could cause injury. Never use an open flame, natural gas or propane burner, or permit smoking around the cooking process.

• Important: Minimum is 2 cups/475 ml. Maximum capacity 5 cups/1180 ml.

How To

Magical Tincture

• Place the ingredients into your MagicalButter machine, and secure the head.

• Press the Temperature button, and select 130°F/55°C (if your model’s lowest option is 160°F/71°C, use that setting). Then press the 4 Hours/Tincture or 8 Hours button (8-hour tincture will have a stronger flavor and deeper intensity).

• After the cycle is complete, unplug the unit at the outlet, and remove the head of the appliance. Put on your LoveGlove™, and pour the pitcher contents slowly through your PurifyFilter™ into a dark glass container.

That’s where I would like to replace the Everclear…

2 Likes

Add a CPL mils of h2o to the ethanol or it will blow up around 20°c for real actually can happen at 16. ;). Also do on ur deck vapor’s are dangerous for real.ive been in hospital a bunch lol

2 Likes

U could also try going to a stillery and ask for the highest proof alcohol u can get (needs to be at least 85%:wink:

2 Likes

Congratulations on the win btw;)

3 Likes

Thanks! Now if only I can grow some incredible ingredients to play with… There will be much rejoicing!!! :wink:

3 Likes

You are well on the way;) also I’m gonna send u some goodies to play with :wink: I can either send some sweet trim or some live resin hash ( the bags I’m sending u will be perfect for making live resin)

2 Likes

I would feel honored to be able to taste your hash.
That would give me a baseline for when I start making my own! :nerd_face:
And thanks for the kind offer!

2 Likes

It’s foolproof;) just a CPL details to pay attention to. You will have hash from every strain and pheno then;)

3 Likes

And thank you for your generous gift, enjoying it right now! Tasty tasty :hugs: @kapouic

2 Likes

If there’s any left, it’s because you must have hidden it from @hoppiefrog!

4 Likes

Hahaha I swear u have known me my whole life;)

2 Likes

I’ve been there and done that. I even gave you my t-shirt! :wink:

3 Likes

tenor-3

3 Likes

You sure did;)

2 Likes

First off only use hat to make butter an such do not try to make oil or dabs with it lol my little brother tried and failed the machine does add heat but not enough to cause a fire or explosion but the vapors are something to think about so use in a well ventilated area with that being said check out this stuff
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Ethyl-Alcohol-1-gal-200-Proof-Absolute-Undenatured-ACS-USP-Grade-P17107.aspx

5 Likes

Great price do they ship to Canada. That’s the stuff tho for sure. Bottle says flash point is 16°c I bet the machine heats up a lot higher than that. But I cant stress enough add a few ml of water the flash point gos up exponentially

3 Likes

DO NOT ADD WATER. DO NOT COOK IT HIGHER THAN 105F.

You do not need a MBM to make extracts. This machine is terrible for that.

1 Like

Alternative to raise flashpoint is other type of alcohol;) but I’m only talking bringing the ethanol down to 99% still way better than moonshine or everclear by far!!!