🍃 AMA With Devon Langford aka "Hydro Chef" with Hawthorne Gardening Weds February 20th 11 AM PST

@memberdirectory the Famous “Hydro Chef” @hydroponicchef will be leading this weeks AMA and you will NOT want to miss this one.

• Who: Devon Langford aka "Hydro Chef" with Hawthorne
  • What: Identifying and Combating Common Pest and Pathogens
  • Where: Growers Network Forum
  • When : Wednesday, February 20th at 11 AM PST

The Hydro Chef will be sharing his recipe for gardening success using the new EPA registered integrated pest management products from General Hydroponics.

Chef will be going over the application rates and control methods along with tips on identifying and combating common pest and pathogens. The knowledge and recipes are free all you have to pay is attention.

Some of the Brands From Hawthorne Gardening

8 Likes

Thank you to Growers Network for hosting this AMA. I’m looking forward to our discussion on identifying and combating some of the more common pests and pathogens in your garden. My goal is to go over several IPM schedules and products along with application techniques and rates. Together through this platform we can all help to share knowledge about control methods and what works best for you. I’m sure the network will have lots of questions and I would like to start off by asking…
What’s bugging you in your garden?

6 Likes

@memberdirectory. in advance of tomorrow’s AMA with Hawthorne Hydroponics, the @hydroponicchef has asked a question: “what’s bugging you in your garden?”

5 Likes

hey Chef,
Would you go over your products interaction with the mineral salts in solution and how they affect pH and changes in nutrient availability.
thanks

4 Likes

Get ready to have all your Hawthorne questions answered by @hydroponicchef …

3 Likes

Thanks for the question. When it comes to the products that can be used as a root drench like Defguard and AzaMax. It’s advised not to tank mix with nutrients. The main reason for that is because it reduces the effectiveness of the control product. Secondary as plants take up nutrients pH can sometimes fluctuate again reducing the bio effect of the control. When I hear people run into problems with drench products is when using thick or oily products. It’s necessary to use the proper application rates and intervals between use to prevent coating the roots with the substance and depriving it from oxygen.

3 Likes

PM in 25b only market.

2 Likes

Is this a question?

1 Like

I think he’s referring to fighting powdery mildew in a specific licensed market?

2 Likes

Answer to, “what’s bugging me.”

2 Likes

Gotcha! Yeah that makes total sense.

2 Likes

That sucks! What has been your go-to strategy for fighting PM in your 25b market?

4 Likes

procidic, neem/silica tank mix, heavy 16 foliar

2 Likes

@hydroponicchef, have you got something simpler in your IPM lineup to help our friend @seanmaurice that might be applicable in a 25b state?

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with that issue. It can be a tricky problem to solve in any setting. While I am here to talk about control products and IPM I think it’s important to highlight the fact that proper environmental control and cleanliness goes a long way prevent pathogen outbreaks and pest problems. Before we break out the controls like to make sure humidity is in check and proper ventilation and air circulation are taken into account. It’s understandable some variables cannot be controlled and some genetics are just susceptible to certain outbreaks. In those cases most states have a list of products that are considered safe to use on combustibles. https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/cannabis/can_use_pesticide.pdf

5 Likes

It always helps to start out with strong genetics and proper environmental conditions

@seanmaurice, from where did your genetics originate? Does your cultivation facility experience RH fluctuations?

2 Likes

I’m going to be going over several of these products deemed safe for use on cannabis and while there isn’t a magic bullet that cures all problems I do have a schedule of products that can be used in conjunction with each other for a successful IPM strategy.

2 Likes

That list is helpful, thanks. I think there are a couple of things I can use. Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources has plainly stated not to use anything with an EPA. Hopefully we can get them on board with a working list soon.

2 Likes

Are you aware of any pesticide manufacturers pursuing relabeling for Hemp, now that its legal?

2 Likes

More and more hemp questions being asked it’s great to see. A lot of the products that are on the market right now can be used for hemp. Now whether or not they are labeled for it is a different story. A lot of these duel registered products come down to labeling and how it is described or claims they make for their use. I predict that products designed for use on cannabis will get registration on hemp first. And you can bet there are companies in the market right now currently looking on how to get that added to the label.

3 Likes