🍃 AMA With Devon Langford aka "Hydro Chef" with Hawthorne Gardening Weds February 20th 11 AM PST

I am amazed at the explosion of interest in hemp since the Farm Bill passed (finally!!!). Are you seeing a serious uptick in interest in hemp over at Hawthorne?

2 Likes

HI Chef. Thank you for being here.
What are some strategies that can be implemented before pests become a problem? For example, keeping a clean environment, or keeping good records, or knowing what pests are actually being pests, etc. I’m working on a set of precautions I can implement.
Thank you

2 Likes

The scene is absolutely blowing up right now. I think it’s safe to say it’s exceeding all expectations. The amount of propagation equipment and consumables these farms will be going through is something rarely seen on the pharmaceutical botanical side of growing. Hawthornes network of stores and distribution warehouse have been and instrumental force in serving this new and upcoming industry.

2 Likes

I want to pitch this language for labels:

“Plants of the Cannabaceae family, including hemp, hops, and other greenhouse-grown plants of the same botanical family.”

2 Likes

It’s a super exciting time for sure! Any fun new product in R&D that you might be able to share with us? :wink:

Hey Hawthorne: give this man a job!

4 Likes

Hey Chef

are there any shipping container fitted set ups?

2 Likes

Thanks for being a part of the AMA. First thing that comes to mind is geographical location. Knowing your local pests is a huge part of setting up preventative measures to prevent these pests from becoming a problem in your garden.

Next is understanding the life cycle of these more common pests or pathogens will help you implement a strategy into prevent them. If you’re dealing with fungus gnats ifor instants and you’re only fighting them with a foliar spray it’s time to start thinking about attacking them in their larva cycle.

One of the most important things to take in the consideration is environmental control and cleanliness. If you’re bringing in fresh air from outside chances are you’re bringing in new insect or pathogens every round. It’s important to check your equipment and keep air-conditioning units clean to prevent mold growth and bug replace filters and dust shrooms etc

6 Likes

What’s up My Dude!? Thanks for the knowledge as always
Cheers

4 Likes

Happy Wednesday @memberdirectory ! We have another amazing AMA kicking off strong! Come on in and join us. Jump into the conversation with Devon at @hydroponicchef!

9 Likes

Hawthorne is constantly pushing the importance of R&D and is committed to bringing new products to the market. One of the many products that were in introduced recently is the Ripen from Gen Hydro https://generalhydroponics.com/ripen

3 Likes

@hydroponicchef: how important is it to clean your dehumidifiers, ductwork, AC’s every cycle – especially if you have PM? Do you have a product in your lineup that can help with that particularly arduous grow chore?

3 Likes

@hydroponicchef how much of a role do terpenes play in your R&D? They are becoming more and more relevant regarding effects and potency.

PS - Thanks for hosting this AMA!

3 Likes

It’s one of the most important process of preventative maintenance. We don’t sit around and wait for our car to break down before we take it to the shop. Same thing should be taken into consideration when preventing outbreaks in your grow area. There are several reputable products out for use in cleaning a grow room and air-conditioning system. H2O2 is a necessity when cleaning also.

6 Likes

Whats your recommended H2O2 product, and does it have an epa reg?

3 Likes

29%-34% H2O2 is a growers best friend – just don’t forget to use those gloves and mask! Proper PPE’s folks! :point_up:

Great advice!

5 Likes

what are some benefits/ cons between Hydro and Aquaponics

3 Likes

and protection from light radiation :wink:

4 Likes

That’s right, how could I ever forget that critical PPE? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hey Alex great question! Not just terpenes but extraction in a whole. There was a time when we would do a lighting layout and you would never even asked the question. “what was the end result desired” Now you have to find out if the gardeners are growing specifically for extraction or weight and or processing? As more and more consumers make a trend towards high-quality top shelf craft cannabis you will see a trend in the gardening products geared towards these desired characteristics. I would say it had a direct effect on the reason products like Gen Hydro Ripen was released to serve that desire to enhance the natural characteristics of the plant and increase oil resin and terpenes

7 Likes