šŸƒ AMA with Eric Olsen of High Caliper Growing (AKA Smart Pots) Wednesday, June 26th at 11 AM PST

Itā€™s that simple, huh? Does the vinegar get rid of the little root mass that stick inside the woven threads of the fabric? I have used enzymes in the past to eat that detritus, but it can get pricey when you are doing hundreds or thousands of pots. Vinegar would be much more cost effective

4 Likes

Smart Pots is made in America, and we do tons of custom tray jobs. Shoot me an email with your contact info, how many you need and dimensions, and weā€™ll work on a quote for you asap. As for watering, I will start in the center, let that soak in a bit, then work on the outsides.

For containers, whether itā€™s hard plastic, or fabric Smart Pots, you want about 10-15% of your top feed, to come out the bottom. This ensures that you havenā€™t missed any nooks or crannys of your medium.

4 Likes

email me Eric@smartpots.com

2 Likes

I let the roots dry completely and use a stiff bristle brush to sweep them off, but itā€™s time consuming and Iā€™m do about about 20 pots usually.

4 Likes

Iā€™d say yes, enzymes would be the best way to break down those roots, but I donā€™t go too anal on cleaning my pots. I love adding enzymes to my nutes and figure any left behind roots will eventually get broken down and eaten by microbes.

3 Likes

yes, lots of growers will turn their pots inside out and let them bake in the sun (if that is an option) as the sun will disinfect most of anything bad on your containers.

4 Likes

What do you think about air pots and the new mesh pots?

3 Likes

I just remember the griping of staff as we were cleaning out thousands of Smart Pots in 2X6 troughsā€¦especially on cold days! I like the vinegar solution you bring to the table :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yeah it dries the root tendrils, then I brush them away. First I wash them, but still have the calcification at the top of the pots.

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m lazy and hate scubbing. Vinegar is a miracle cleaner. Been using it on my entire house lately to fight the dreaded ā€œblack moldā€ which is in every CA home.

5 Likes

I hear mixing with hydrogen peroxide is the best, 1 part vinegar to 4 parts hydrogen peroxide?

2 Likes

Air Pots seem okay, but still you have pretty big holes that your medium can spill out of. Mesh pots are a little better than Air Pots but Iā€™ve heard the longevity, especially outdoors (full UV) can be an issue.

4 Likes

Nice! I just hate hearing growers using bleach. It breaks down Smart Pots (and everything else) to where they donā€™t last as long, and isnā€™t good for the plants. Vinegar and H2O2, all day!

5 Likes

Hypochlorous acid has been a hot topic on the forum this past week; have you heard of any growers using it as a cleanser for Smart Pots?

3 Likes

LOL, was reading about that on the forum yesterday! I have no personal experience, but if anyone does, esp with Smart Pots, Iā€™d love too hear it (good, bad or neutral).

4 Likes

I might be down to try something like that out. I have some Smart Pots around the grow somewhereā€¦

3 Likes

is hypochlorous acid a product that many hydro stores are selling? Where is the best source?

3 Likes

Good question. Does anyone here on the forum have some hypochlorous acid products they might recommend?

4 Likes

I posted it earlier, but if people have any Smart Pot questions or needs (custom tray liners, odd custom jobs, questions) to please shoot me an email: Eric@smartpots.com. I also am on Instagram: @eric.smartpots and love learning, as Iā€™m a grower myself.

I laugh at growers who say, ā€œI donā€™t need to learn anything new, or try any new productsā€ because, on a commercial level, your competition is learning and innovating.

If you arenā€™t growing, youā€™re dying.

3 Likes

True story. The cannabis industry is evolving every day!

Where do you see the industry in 5 years? Where will Smart Pots fit into the mix?

3 Likes