🍃 AMA With Faezeh Dousty - Women in Cannabis Thought Leader Wednesday Jan, 2nd 11 AM PST

We need an ISO standard in production.

5 Likes

In what medium are you cultivating? Do you have a personal favorite as a grower?

3 Likes

Very cool.

3 Likes

Do you use a Dutch style bench

3 Likes

Thank you Todd for your comment. I would love to know more about it as well, plastic pots do not concern me as well.

3 Likes

Hey Todd,

Never heard the bulb blew to fire on the plastic - yuck!

3 Likes

We are using soil based medium and I must admit that unfortunately, I personally have not had vast practical experience with other growing media. We had a trial with Rockwool and we will have a trial soon with aeroponics. I hope that I have better useful practical information in the near future.

2 Likes

No. We have not. That is something that I can learn from you.

3 Likes

Is your license vertically integrated? Does your facility process for extraction?

2 Likes

I must explain on that. We are waiting to receive our production licence from Health Canada. The experience that we have gained are from cultivation under personal ACMPR licences. The products will be used for the personal health treatment of licence holders. After we receive our cultivation licence, we plan to apply for processing licence, which allows for extraction.

4 Likes

Have you had many hurdles overcoming the new licensing laws in Canada? What has been the biggest challenge?

3 Likes

I am aware of the water bottles, which is one of the reasons why I never drink out of plastic containers.

But - cost of production is a huge part of success in this industry, and most of all hydroponic equipment used to grow your food (and cannabis) for decades has been made from plastic.

Plastic pots have been used in AG since the 50’s (at least) and I would just like to see the science that can show me what molecules were transferred from a plastic pot to a plant.

I am a vegetarian who eats mostly organic food since 1994, but I am also hesitant to make claims about harmful practices in cultivation, such as using a plastic pots, if it is not based on actual science compared to NPR articles that are about something else (Though I love NPR).

I would point out, most watering lines are PVC or vinyl, the Dosatrons I use are plastic, as as the Octabubbler heads I use to distribute water. The nutrients are sold to us in plastic packages and I could go on and on. Where does one draw the line in the sand of plastic paranoia?

Hope everyone has a great 2019!

7 Likes

I feel the same way, I, too, don’t drink from plastic water bottles. It’s probably the old hippie in me :slight_smile: I make the changes where I can and fortunately, this is where I can make a change. I made it a New Year’s resolution a few years ago to be very conscious about how much plastic I consume - things like plastic bags/straws etc. I avoid it where I can. Happy New Year to all!

3 Likes

We can all learn from your lessons, @cheryl! The world would be a much cleaner and healthier place if we were just a bit more mindful of the plastics we consume! Thanks for sharing that!

3 Likes

It is a new business, so many issues are being revealed after trials and errors. Health Canada is doing a great job in making policies and they are communicating with the industry routinely; however, there are still many details and policies that need to be revised. The main bottleneck is that the legal industry is so young and there have not been enough data and statistics to create a solid basis for many policies.
Just as an example, right now, the same microbial and pesticides criteria applies to both indoor and outdoor, which is very questionable. I trust that policymakers are fully aware of that but until there is not enough data that define the basis of each category, it is to expect well defined criteria.

3 Likes

@memberdirectory, if you haven’t already posted a question in today’s AMA, I implore you to do so. Please join us in our lively AMA with none other than our very own @fdousty!

2 Likes

Dr. D,

Question that I have been pondering for close to 40 years is we grow cannabis like a tomato. Why do me not grow it more like an 8 week Mum. The feed type source is the same. But a week before flowering we would start our bloom feed until flowers are visible. The switch back to a regular feed schedule.

Also I have a feeling we are harvesting about a week late for maximum THC and CBD’S if I read the chromatography for drug analysis correctly we are loosing both THC and CBD through normal aging. The peak looks to be three weeks after flower starts and that would be at 7 weeks.

In a pot mum schedule we would 4 and 4 on a 8 week Mum. With about 2 weeks of bloom feed and the rest 1:1:1:1 NKPCa on the grow. This give outstanding dry wieght in all short day plants comercally grown for cut flowers. Lot of evidence.

How do we design a QA to quantify the out puts of both methods?

Plus if we can crop at 7 vs 8 weeks we get more turns of total space.

Also we are growing to big when I take my really old numbers 8 inch contains give me the best dry wieght per sqft week of production on an S4 spacing model.

I am driving home so will see response in 30 minutes. :upside_down_face:

From the way to active voices in my head
Ethan

4 Likes

I am an old hippy at heart myself and I feel where you are coming from.

What really got me away from plastic water bottles was the microplastics: WHO launches health review after microplastics found in 90% of bottled water | Plastics | The Guardian

I grow as organic as I can, but I do however try to be not too scared of everything around me.

If anyone has any info about cannabis plants picking up chemicals from plastic, please send it over as I will include in in my upcoming cultivation book.

I am much more concerned with growers using PGR’s than I am with them using plastic pots.

6 Likes

This is the most pragmatic way to approach life, @todd.mccormick! I learn much from you!

TRUTH! A largely unspoken dark facet of our industry. The one who shall not me named: PGR Voldemort!

5 Likes

Hi. I love the conversation. What can you say about lab testing for THC? It’s very popular for dispensaries to advertise the percentage of THC in their product, but I feel like the testing can be misleading. The focus is getting a high THC percentage over anything else. Do you see any standardisation in lab testing coming into market?

6 Likes