AMA with Matt Christopherson from Twister Trimmers aka Keirton

Hey GNET, at 11 am PST this Wednesday, September 19, we will be serving up another round of an AMA. Look forward to an opportunity to talk directly with Matt Christopherson from Twister. We will be discussing all your burning questions related to automated trimming processes from one of the top industry leaders in this field!

Want to know more? Check out https://www.twistertrimmer.com/

Can’t wait to see you here on Wednesday!

4 Likes

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Happy to be here!

3 Likes

Matt, this is going to be awesome! Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to be here this morning

1 Like

I’ll kick this off with a question I love to ask:

How did you come to be in your position (ie VP Business Development at Kierton)? What is your background? Did you originate in the cannabis space?

2 Likes

I’ve been in the industry for 12+ years & joined the company when were a team of 6. It’s been exciting growth over the decade we’ve been around, now with 50+ employees!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow! That’s super impressive growth! I can definitely appreciate the humble beginnings! I have been watching the growth of your company now for that entire time and I am so very happy to see that you are now an industry leader…congratulations!

What has been the biggest hindrance to that growth? What setbacks have you had with the company along the way?

2 Likes

Hi Matt,

I have a multi part question for you.

Is the Twister line up specifically for Dry Trim only, or are Wet Trim options available?

What is the ideal moisture level to trim with your machines?

What are the biggest benefits of Dry Trimming compared to Wet Trimming?

Look forward to your responses and thank you!

4 Likes

Building a company always has it’s hurdles. Adversity is what makes us stronger. To answer your question, it’s always the problem in finding people - it’s difficult to keep up with the demand with the current job market.

3 Likes

Thanks Brendan. Good questions!

We have both wet & dry trimmers - we sell about at 50/50 ratio.

The ideal moisture content is between 10-13%, with an ideal of 11%. The added bonus is that you don’t need to dry your product down to <8% - meaning it won’t be as fragile with our Twisters vs most trimmers.

One of the biggest benefits is the ‘nose’ of the product. You’ll end up with a better smelling product with more trichomes intact.

5 Likes

Good people can be hard to find!

1 Like

About how much material can your trimmers handle?

1 Like

Well we have several different units that address different harvest sizes. Our trimmers can trim from 10lbs/hour with the T6…or up to 75lbs/hour with our T2 Trimming System.

We recently just launched our T-Zero which will trim approx 500lbs/hr wet weight!!! Boom.

6 Likes

Kind of a mic drop @Growernick - the T-Zero is truly the only commercial trimmer on the market…and we’re kind of excited! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What is your biggest challenge in acquiring customers and/or vendors for the Twister products?

2 Likes

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the response, protecting the “nose” is super important to the consumer in a competitive market these days.

A quick question about your Trim Saver, can you share a little bit of information on how it works and is better than using a traditional vacuum based collections system?

3 Likes

I think the biggest challenge is the preconceived notion that trimmers ‘beat up’ your flowers. It’s been a stigma for many years because there are a lot of poorly built machines on the market. I’m confident that any customer of our products can validate we have much a superior built unit & the compromise vs hand trim is very little.

4 Likes

The Trim Saver was designed after the surge for trim demand (extracts) several years ago. We knew at the time that we could do better than the traditional vacuum & designed a unit that would circumvent the impeller - preventing the trim from being damaged.

4 Likes

Hi Matt,

What would you say the difference between machine trim and hand trim is? There’s a lot of conflicting information out there.

2 Likes

Let’s call a spade a spade - no machine will ever trim the quality of hand trimmers. Anyone that tells you otherwise is lying. A hand manicured flower will be precise & should be ‘handled’ less (with anyone experienced of course).

That said, I would say our units are the closest to hand trim quality that you’ll get. It doesn’t give that ‘shaved’ look - something that most people don’t like.

8 Likes

Heyy Matt,

For a grower whom is seeking to transition from hand trimming to machine trimming, what advice would you give them to gain more confidence in using machines and does your company provide customer assistance after purchase?

Thanks!

2 Likes