AMA with Matt Christopherson from Twister Trimmers aka Keirton

Hey GNET @memberdirectory, this AMA is off and running! Please head on over and join the party!

1 Like

The biggest thing when making the transition is get educated. But that goes for any kind of purchase.

Something to be cognizant of is the quality of build. You would never want to buy a car that breaks down after 5000 miles, just to save a couple bucks. Make the investment into QUALITY and you will have that same machine for years & won’t be concerned with downtime.

4 Likes

Being in the industry for over a decade, we have the foundation to support our customers. We have support from 7am-7pm 7 days/week. Something that we definitely pride ourselves in!

4 Likes

What a machine you got there, Matt! Welcome!

2 Likes

Do you load it with a bobcat?

3 Likes

What causes bud to be so non-crystalled on the outside at so many CA dispensaries? Are they tumbling the flower for keif or is that part of the trimming process and if so how would your guys stuff avoid that?
In CA it seems like I have to crack open some of the buds to see the crystals, but in NV everything is covered

3 Likes

The T-Zero? You could. New partnership? :wink:

All jokes aside, it’s a big unit & would need proper commissioning and install.

4 Likes

Anyone out there ever try a Trimbag?

2 Likes

I agree, education in regards to anything is very important.

Totally understandable. Quality machines for long lasting use are best versus cheap machines that will not last or meet the growers expectations.

Wow, that’s great to hear that you provide support 7 days a week. You have a great company and valuable machines.

Thanks for hosting this AMA Matt!

~Kareenabis~
Success Coach

3 Likes

It’s hard to say without knowing more. As the old saying goes ‘garbage in, garbage out’.

If it came down to the trim - which it could be just the strain or growing technique itself - it’s about trimming in an ideal environment. A cold trim room would allow trichomes to be more intact.

2 Likes

When we were charging $200 a lb to trim the expectations were very high. No leaf, no crows feet and everything bigger than your pinky finger nail got trimmed. This was when a lb went for 4K. Now that prices have plummeted has the expectations gone down as well? Is a little leaf or a little wood showing more acceptable?

2 Likes

Ah the Trim Bag. This was a cool idea that came to market. It is a great solution for the grower that has a smaller budget for machines - it’s inexpensive and it does a decent job compared to those top loaded dry machines.

Of course, it can only be used for dry.

2 Likes

Ive heard people give % for the amount of hand trim after it goes through the machine. Do you have a number?

2 Likes

I’m sure once upon a time caligraphy looked so much better than the printed page, but eventually the desire for speed and efficiency took over people’s quaint fantasies about hand written books. Trimming versus trim machines might be the same - we are getting to a place where speed and efficiency are important. Machines are getting better, and you can always go through the buds by hand after. I was a trimmer one season and the family I worked for kept dropping hints about wanting to purchase machines; time is of the essence these days, and there will always be a need for human touch up!

5 Likes

It’s comes back to supply & demand. In most markets there will always be that demand for premium flower…but there is definitely a huge market for mid level product. When prices drop like that people have to find ways to get their cost of production down - nutrients to salts, more greenhouses rather than indoor and, of course, trim machines rather than hand trim.

4 Likes

This number would be hypothetical. We always tell our customers we get you 80-90% there…and encourage some touch ups on a quality control (QC) conveyor to achieve a hand trim finish!

5 Likes

Well said @rebecca. I agree 100%.

4 Likes

What is the maintenance cost?

Do you have people that travel with your machine to provide trim service to growers who have not made the investment?

2 Likes

There is very little maintenance; we have units that are still going strong after 10yrs. The biggest thing is to take care of it - no different than a car. Keep it clean after use and you’ll be in great shape!

2 Likes

My apologies, I forgot to answer the second question. We do not have teammates that travel to trim for you. But we do have Field Experts that will do a demo if you’re interested in purchasing.

4 Likes