🍃 AMA with Reggie Gaudino of Steep Hill Cannabis Testing Weds, May 29th, 2019 11 AM PST

… also, thank you for being here, @reggie . It’s really an extraordinary opportunity to be able to ask questions live. And thank you GrowersNetwork for making this AMA possible.

6 Likes

I think DNA sequencing can do anything. I think the problem is, people don’t know the right question to ask.
At the end of the day a DNA sequence is just 1 billion or so A’s, G’s, T’s, and C’s. It’s not till you have a whole bunch of DNA sequences and you can compare them, that you can see what’s what.

So from the breeder perspective there is breeding, protecting, screening. But from the academic perspective there is lineage, there is haplotyping and grouping which give information about geography, migration, relation, function, control, genetic linkage, etc.

It’s like a map, that you can keep zooming in on like Google earth. EVerytime you zoom in you get a different picture.

9 Likes

thank you for making me feel better about the situation. They were just coming across as they are the new kid on the block and ahead. That clearly is not the case so thank you for your time and responses!

7 Likes

This is the goal of any agricultural science program

6 Likes

@reggie, where do you see cannabis IP, testing, genetic sequencing in five years?

Where do you see the U.S. and broader global cannabis industry in five years?

6 Likes

Do you see the Major international AG corporations taking grasp of these smaller companies or will there always be a market for the AG farmer? Also, Illumina is using an Array to look at genes within the plants at a young stage and see if they have the genomics that they are trying to create.

4 Likes

What can growers do to help you obtain better governmental policies?

3 Likes

I think they will all converge. Some states are considering requiring genetic tags for track and trace. so genetic information will be a part of future regulatory control.

I would hope a global industry is established, so product can flow around the world. It’s the only way it will scale.

5 Likes

Have any states rolled that out? How might that system function?

3 Likes

I think the industry will split. THere will be big Ag companies making consistent reproducible from batch to batch products, and there will be craft breeders. They are 2 separate industries. You can’t do artesean/craft breeder on larger scale.

marker assisted breeding is marker assisted breeding, whether you do it on an array or by looking for specific gene targets one by one. they all get you the same information, but some are more efficient and time saving than others. but they also cost more. And all marker assisted breeding starts at seedling stage.

7 Likes

Deschedule. Until that happens research is stifled.

5 Likes

I don’t think any have rolled it out yet, but i believe Massachusetts was considering it, and it is likely to be required to go international so they can track diversion.

3 Likes

Is there meaningful research being conducted here in the U.S. through private grants that you are aware of? Are there any other workarounds save for conventional grants that might allow for cannabis research prior to rescheduling?

2 Likes

I agree that there will always be the passion and means for craft breeders in the industry like Beef needs a Butcher it will be a dying trade. Much respect for all your input here!

4 Likes

Private grants? none that i know of. THere are some limited funds that are being give to universities, but the restrictions on that research are huge. WHich is why medical research is lagging behind Israel and other countries.

most genetic research is currently being funded by companies paying for itself like Steep Hill.

6 Likes

I should have said, PUSH for descheduling. there needs to be a serious grassroots effort to force our representatives in government to get this descheduled.

it’s killing R&D and academic research

9 Likes

it was my pleasure

5 Likes

and yes there is a work around, but that work around needs to be better conceived than the now defunct OCP. OCP was a great idea for a great cause, but it obviously had some flaws in the foundation. But, i believe it was built with the right heart and spirit.

SOmething like this needs to come from the industry, but from the breeders and cultivators. Where they build a framework where they share the data and costs and use companies like mine to give them the data. This way it truly is built by the industry for the industry.

6 Likes

One more reason the research Steep Hill is doing is so very vital to the future of our industry. We really do appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions today. Thanks for helping restore some of the transparency to cannabis genetics and, in so doing, engender more trust in cannabis genetic sequencing, chemotyping and testing.

Do you feel our industry is working toward that point?

5 Likes

Thanks Nick, it was a great set of questions, and I was happy to participate. I hope that we can do more to educate the industry about what the tools are good for and what the realities of IP are.

And yes, i do think that the industry is working towards that. The people who were at OCP with me, LOVE this industry and want to help protect it. We had a meeting today about what the next version of OCP should be, and how it should be built, and how things like @Strainly cannabis license platform are great things for the industry to explore and embrace. Additionally, things like medicinal genomics, Blockchain registry. All these things will help promote the industry in its efforts to grow and protect itself

7 Likes