Anybody Pressing Rosin?

Thinking about pressing sugar leaf and kief. Would like to know what kind of yield can be expected from each and also best press configuration - plate type & size?

7 Likes

I’m not experienced in rosin pressing, but I would like to learn more as well.

Adding onto your question, what companies are making the best quality rosin presses out there? Which companies are most popular and why?

4 Likes

@tasiakelle Do you use Rosin presses?

2 Likes

Nate, I’ll Let you know how it goes. We are purchasing a Sasquash Press this week and will be giving it a shot.

4 Likes

Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Post some pictures once you’ve had a chance to try it out!

2 Likes

9 Likes

We got the Sasquash in today. Will keep you posted on how the pressing goes!

4 Likes

That is a nice looking machine! How much force does it exert to press the rosin?

3 Likes

What pore sizes do you use?

1 Like

Thanks Nicholas. From the information that I have gathered, you want to
pre-press at 10 to 15 psi and increase up to 110 - 115 psi. I’m sure that
different material i.e.; flower / kief reacts differently to temperature
and pressure. Here comes the learning curve! I’ll keep you posted.

Bart Bennett
Biochron, Inc.
(509) 979-8724

5 Likes

We are going to use 35mu bags for our kief and 120mu bags for our flower. Pressing today!

7 Likes

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

3 Likes

Update on the rosin pressing - we pressed 8 bags of “A” bud flower, (each weighing 14g) and 2 bags of kief, (one bag weighing 10g and one weighing 2g). We varied temperature from 190 to 220 degrees f and pressing time from 45 sec. to 4 min. Our “sweet spot” on flower seemed to be at 220 degrees for 2 1/2 min.
Our over all yield on the flower was lower than we had hoped at 12% but the solvent less rosin that we produced is absolutely gorgeous and we will get better. Attached is a pic of the final product.

12 Likes

That looks beautiful! How did the kief perform vs the flower?

3 Likes

Our first kief run was a disaster! We blew the bag out on the 10g run. The 2g run worked much better with a yield of about 70%. Both were pressed at 190 degrees for 1 min. Pained me to see 10g of kief ruined in 60 seconds!

7 Likes

Ouch. I feel your pain.

3 Likes

Here is a link to a short video of 1 of our flower presses from yesterday

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSo9pM1h68w/?taken-by=goodgoodgarden

5 Likes

Thanks so much for getting back to us with detailed feedback! How you feeling about the Sasquatch post purchase?

4 Likes

Thanks for posting the photo and video. Glad that the second run came out better! It sounds like the machine is fairly noisy from the video. Is it bad enough that you’d want to wear earplugs if you were doing it for an extended period?

2 Likes

Nate,

We purchased the Sasquash used and it is the V1 so it is exactly as expected. I think the pressing technology, as with most things in this industry, is changing rapidly. If we can determine that consistent yields are obtainable and if we see a good market for our rosin I think we will be looking to upgrade our press in the future. If money were no object and I could’ve purchased any press out there I would have likely gone with Pikes Peak Pure Pressure. Maybe we need to do a Growers House Review?

7 Likes