Anybody Pressing Rosin?

To clarify, do you mean that the rosin you collected was 12% of the flower you started with, by weight? What was the cannabinoid content of the flower to begin? I guess a simpler way of asking this is, what were you expecting to yield?

2 Likes

true. except for the fact that some cultivators can make anything flow. it comes down to resin production and type of trichomes your buds contain. as an example, Iā€™ve seen GDP yield nothing multiple times, but sometimes youā€™ll see that one guy who has any strain and its dumping ahah including GDP. the more capitate-sessile and capitate-stalked trichomes the better.

4 Likes

Itā€™s still strain dependent (perhaps pheno dependent would be more appropriate to clarify.) Having ā€œGDPā€ is a broad statement (I have GDP from seed, my neighbor has GDP from clone, etc,) so when growers saying ā€œIā€™m having bad luck with this,ā€ there is some attribution to the characteristics of the plant (we can blame the press instead? Kidding, but you see where Iā€™m going with that?) Iā€™ve seen the frostiest nugs on the planet not squish much rosin (or have to be adjusted for, which can alter the consistency and quality of the rosin.) Just food for thought.

3 Likes

@Sasquash weā€™re talking about e-liquid in another topic, have you ever tried mixing up some e-juice for a vape using rosin before?

2 Likes

I have a 20 ton press that I built a year or so ago. The plates are 7" x 3.5" made from 6061 aluminum with 350 watt cartridge heaters. I designed it based on research I had done. I found that around 1500 pounds per square inch is the number to shoot for if you are concentrating on yields. Temperatures and times will vary based on the product being pressed. Rosin is the most organic form of concentrate available, no hydrocarbons neccessary. So why do people still buy BHO and PHO? Still donā€™t understand that one.

3 Likes

Yesssssā€¦Rosin conversations!

Our team at STM built the worldā€™s most advanced and first fully automatic, commercial grade Rosin Pressā€¦and as you can seeā€¦Iā€™m clearly in love with Rosin vs. other concentrates. Rosin is the only concentrate Iā€™ll ever truly stick to because of the true whole plant spectrum - terps and all cannabinoids intact. Only concentrate that doesnā€™t leave a weird aftertaste and is so much less harsh. Did you guys hear about Michiganā€™s market selling Rosin at $120/g? Gotta be a reason for that, right?!

BTW: Here what we press with - :smiley: -->>

• Plates are 8" x 12" and 100% Food-Grade Stainless Steel Plates
  • Press 3-6 oz of flower, kief, hash - full cycle in 10-15 seconds.
  • No air compressor (fully automatic hydraulic system)
  • 550lb machine - not for the lighthearted!

I like to press high quality buds at around 190-210 F for around 10-15 seconds. Adjust the timing and heat, but only if Iā€™m wanting different consistencies like shatter, budder, etc. Not for nothing, but @Jordan is right in that there are a ton of variables and its two things - either your press is simply not doing the job or as I like to put it - youā€™re trying to squeeze fresh orange juice out of an old, dead orange.

2 Likes