Aphid defensive tactics

I seen to have these guys every grow and am looking for pro active products. Right now I am treating them with a General Hydroponics product called Exile. It is organic and can be used up to harvest. The product works well after discovery but what does everyone use as a deterrent? I just received my order of diatomaceous earth. My girls are in the 4th week of flower. Should I sprinkle some on the top of the grow medium now? The video is applying and the pic is the next day all dead. I am surrounded by mangroves and jungle so the ants are rampant and their best buddies are theses f**kers.

dead

4 Likes

Ok check this out! @mayakid I had aphid problems in my outdoor veggie garden. Ants can live up to 12yrs. They bring the aphids. The aphids are there cows. Look for any ants? I can help kill the ants. I dont like to kill them. But…

Ants Farming Aphids & What to do About It - Real Self-Sufficiency.

5 Likes

Boric acid powder and Sugar.
Mix this powder 1/2 and 1/2 with sugar. Stir into a thick paste - enough so that you can form the mixture into balls. Put the balls all over the place - roll them under appliances, under the sink, etc. The sugar attracts the ants or roaches and they eat the balls, which kills them. It works really, really well. But ants will feed while they scavenge for the queens food. This mix gives enough time to get the sugar back to the queen before the worker ant dies. She eats it and dies. No more ant colony!

7 Likes

Also check out lost coast plant therapy

5 Likes

Nice @cooperm!

Oooh a free sample!

$4.95 for shipping. I got a rose Bush to try this on.

6 Likes

I’m using lost coast weekly nothing but good results with them

4 Likes

this is a great ipm thread!!!

4 Likes

That article creeped me out. The ants bite the wings off the aphids so the can’t escape? WTF!

3 Likes

SSDD Don’t ship to Mexico. Sounds really interesting. I have tried the boric acid @PreyBird1 but it’s an endless supply. Ever seen an ant stampede? They have come over my wall a few times like a black waterfall completely covering my back wall. If you don’t hustle and divert them they’ll come through your house.

2 Likes

Let us know what you think. If it’s worth it I can find a way to get some down here.

@mayakid I dig the organic products from Biosafe Systems and super stoked we now offer Biosafe Systems at Key to Life Supply.
In 2020 we saw and abundance of aphids across USA on, weed, perennials, backyard gardens.
The aphids and or larvae poop all over the top side of leaves is signs of outbreak.
Here is a product that we suggest, offer, and can give you more info about. Azaguard by Biosafe Systems.
Kyle M
Key to Life Supply

3 Likes

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up: Yes aza guard another really good one! I use this every once in a while when I see a small outbreak. Just some tips very important to do IPM sprays in dark or little to no light for 2-6 hours. If you can control temps spraying in lower temperatures works better. Aza guards pretty cool too because it doesn’t really harm the plants but instead I’ve noticed it having similar effects to a foliar spray

2 Likes

Do you ship to Mexico? If not you should take a look. The vote is taking place this week to legalize recreational use of cannabis. Mexico will be the largest consumer base for cannabis in the world. Not only that but one of the articles of the law states clubs can be formed and clubs will be able to form co-ops of up to 150 people. My club roster is full and 2 members have large tracts of land for the co-op to grow on. I’m excited. The rural area I am in we have no choice but to grow our own unless you happen to like Mexican brick weed.

2 Likes

Absolutely!! I didn’t take the time to mix it, so bought my wife some Terro ant killer…(same deal borax and corn syrup) Gotta keep feeding them as long as they carry it off! Nukes ants of all kinds and the beauty of it is it IS NOT a pesticide and they will NEVER develop immunity to it!!

3 Likes

Lady bugs work great on aphids.

3 Likes

Spent about an hour and a half online yesterday looking for a provider of ladybugs. I might be able to have them delivered to the city, 1 1/2 hour one way and then I have to coordinate to be there when then arrive. I’ve seen what shippers in Mexico do to packages. Ladybug jelly.

1 Like

woow, sorry. my local hydro store carries them in house. They run about $15 per 800 or so

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=live+ladybugs+for+aphid+control&i=lawngarden&crid=13KFRH5WEJUJW&sprefix=live+ladybugs+%2Clawngarden%2C208&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_14

1 Like

That is the key, eliminate the ants so the cows do not come home to roost.

That article creeped me out. The ants bite the wings off the aphids so the can’t escape? WTF!

:rofl: :rofl:Still cant get over what mantis females do to the willing males. Nature can be cruel.

6 Likes

There is no way to get rid of the ants. I live surrounded by jungle and mangroves.

2 Likes

I plant sunflowers wherever I can. Aphids chew on stalk, let’s off scent, lady bugs are attracted by scent, ladybugs eats aphids.
Has worked well in my garden. I dont have as big of Ant problem as you but they are around.

1 Like