Aphid defensive tactics

live
Are these aphids or mites?

4 Likes

Those are not mites. I saw your little video. Those are definitely aphids

5 Likes

I bought a couple of kilos of food grade diatomaceous earth a couple of years ago and never even opened it. Iā€™m going to do a wet application. My girls are in flower so I will avoid the buds as much as possible. I always do a water and H2O2 was after harvest to clean my girls cause they pick up all kinds of crap when they are outside. Any input on application? Iā€™m going to mix 4tbsp. with a gallon of water and use my pump sprayer.

1 Like

Thanks @PreyBird1 I jumped on that a few days ago, got it already. It will make two gallons of dilute spray, what I really like is you can make it up and it stays good for according to them 4 weeks. So you donā€™t have to use it all the same day or it;s bad. Thanks for the link to the freebie !

3 Likes

But does it kill all the good ones too? 300 species. What about bees and wasps etc?

2 Likes

Let me know how it works please @sssportsmfg. Like I said if itā€™s worth it, Iā€™ll find a way to get it down here.

I will if I can get an answer from my state agency that controls the license applications, I canā€™t grow outside until I can get my application amended to include a outside grow. Just not worth going to jail for now that itā€™s legal with a MMJ card which I have. Iā€™m working on it, if I get it and do a grow outside I will sure let you know how it works. I put in a veg garden too, so if my maters get aphids and whatnot I will try it on them.

3 Likes

Thanks. I have reached out to the company also. I have a friend coming sometime soon and maybe Iā€™ll send him a sample to bring. Gonna be a huge market down here.

My thought was you were most interested in how it works on our FAVORITE plant lol.

1 Like

That IS what Iā€™m talking about. Mexico may be getting ready to pull the trigger but they are woefully short on any kind of peripherals. Took me almost 3 mos. to get my light. Iā€™m sure once itā€™s legal things will change. Customer base of 121 million. You could become a millionaire selling just about anything cannabis related once it pops. Thems with the firstest gets the mostest. Iā€™d do something if I wasnā€™t so lazy.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s a little video of a leaf I pulled and dusted with diatomaceous earth. Dusted at 12:30. Letā€™s see how long they keep kicking. Death by a thousand cuts.

4 Likes

Get them all! Lol

3 Likes

I use DE too. Non toxic and it kills them. Good for slugs on the soil too. I bought a 20# bag a couple of years ago food grade. I also mix it in water and drink it a couple times a week, it is actually silica, but changes when digested to calcium for your body.

2 Likes

That is the key, eliminate the ants so the cows do not come home to roost.

That article creeped me out. The ants bite the wings off the aphids so the canā€™t escape? WTF!

:rofl: :rofl:Still cant get over what mantis females do to the willing males. Nature can be cruel.

Hereā€™s a little video of a leaf I pulled and dusted with diatomaceous earth.
@mayakid, its a great soil amendment to help prevent this from happening.

2 Likes

you can get a few thousand lady bugs for pretty cheap. They will devour the aphids.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry I never did get back to you, last year was when I had covid and wound up in the hospital and my garden for all practical purposes died. I also didnā€™t amend my grow license and didnā€™t put anything outside either. The outside thing is a big project that requires building a enclosure with a top covering as well requiring something on the order of steel mesh or chanin link so you can get sun and also keep people out at least to the point that they would have to physically break in the enclosure. So I never tried it and havenā€™t had any bugs other than fungus gnats in my indoor grow. Iā€™m not sure if I am even going to attempt my license change this year as I can grow plenty for my use inside.

Marty

3 Likes

I wish I could get them. Iā€™m so rural we donā€™t have mail service. Closest PO is 4 hours round trip.

3 Likes

Bummer Marty. Hope there are no lingering symptoms. They just finished my new grow room. I do in and out grows. Gas lantern routine during veg cut my electric bill substantially. Just 1 hour of light a night. I have been foliar feeding with compost tea and have not had a problem this grow. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

:wink:

7 Likes

Dude we have a superr aphid problem at my job the cannabis commission makes it so hard to fight back kis every thing we use has to be natural so they have tried jus about everything

3 Likes