Auto flower not flowering

Hello and thanks for the add.
My wife uses cannabis for her back pain. I am currently growing Blue Dream Auto from ILGM. I have 3 planted in 3 gallon bags using the red Promix medium from Walmart amended with extra perlite and worm casings. I have fed Jacks Classic 20-20-20 at half strength every other watering through the veg stage and have switched a week and a half ago to Open Sesame from fox farms for the start of flowering (I have the trio for the entire flower process). I water at a PH of around 6.2 during flower and at 6.5 during veg. I do not have a way to test the PPM. Lights are Bloom Spectrum 1500 in a 2x2x5 tent using full intensity now in flower running 18/6. Temps run around 72 at night up to around 80 in the day. Humidity now is around 40%. Two fans for the plants and one for the light to help cool it. One 4 inch exhaust fan with carbon filter. My question is I am 7.5 weeks from sprout ( the day they sprouted from the soil ) and I still only have signs of pre flower. It’s been this way for a week and a half. The stretch seems to have begun as they are bigger every day. Why won’t these flower and what should I do? Thanks in advance.

8 Likes

Patience young Padawan… Or something like that. You are almost there, the proof is in the plants :slight_smile:

Those are some healthy, beautiful ladies, and I love the shade of green. While I don’t particularly like auto flowers, I have used them three times. This looks like what happened to me my first time. 7.5 weeks less 1.5 for birth and growth puts you at 6 weeks, this next 4 weeks you should begin to see the bloom and hopefully complete the bloom too.

If the seed should take 10 weeks, I assume it will take 12. Not that the advertisement is incorrect or the manufacturer is wrong, it’s simply how long it seems to take in reality, for me.

While it shouldn’t have any bearing on them, as they are autos, you may want to try 12/12 and see if you can force the action. Otherwise it will happen on its own.

6 Likes

These are auto flowers which means they will flower when they are ready. If you switch them to 12/12 Lighting you can’t go back to 18 hours of light. They will Herm. Don’t do it. If you’re going to grow your entire crop at 18 hours of light from start to finish. because to get your most volume out of the small plants you can run more hours for a bigger flowers. This comes from personal experience losing a whole crop of auto flowers by lowering the hours for photos and then putting auto flowers that weren’t finished yet and with vegging plants when the flowering Photo plants were done.
You will be well served to learn how to read your plants. What the manufacture of the seeds gives you is a target to start looking to harvest. Not a finish date. They almost always take longer then advertised.

12 Likes

This is good to know. I didn’t think it would have any bearing on them with regards to blooming but I never thought about herming! Thank God you follow me and correct my dumb ass.

6 Likes

I also thought that it wouldn’t make a difference when I did it. They’re auto flowers they don’t care what the light is when they’re blooming as what I thought. But reducing the light for three or four weeks and then popping them back into 18 hours to finish didn’t work. It might work for somebody somewhere sometime but my experience says don’t do it.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone. So from what I’m gathering here just leave them at 18/6 and continue and they will flower when they are ready am I correct? Thank you for the comment on how well they look. First time but I have several years growing tomatoes and super hot pepper plants so definitely not new to growing plants.

4 Likes

If ur almost 2 months in and they arent auto flowering then it means the ruderalis cross wasn’t worked in enough and the photoperiod parent is still dominant in the genotype/phenotype, at this point u need to treat it like a photoperiod.
Don’t feel bad though, had the same thing happen to me with sweet tooth in the spring, had 3 seeds from seed supreme, one didn’t come up the other 2 did, one autod and one I had to manually flip, the photo dominant was by far the better of the two plants too, stronger terps and potency

3 Likes

I was wondering if these were more photo than Auto, I prefer photo over auto but these were given to me in the ILGM package as autos. I am just wondering if I should wait another week or whatnot then switch to 12/12 or just wait it out? With 5 feet being my height limit I definitely need to flower soon haha.

2 Likes

I just don’t want to mess anything up by any means so I am really unsure what to do. They are 7.5 weeks from sprout today.

1 Like

Switching lighting hours back and forth on an auto doesn’t make em herm, in the spring I ran autos, some nights I put em under HPS some nights I was to lazy, didn’t make any difference. Might be cultivar specific with some being more sensitive to herm or coincidence but that’s the whole idea of ruderalis genetics is photoperiod(light period) has no bearing on the plants ability to flower and is considered a light neutral plant where as a photo period cannabis plant is considered a short day plant.

Yes u can still piss off an auto waking it up at night or having light leaks but usually most successful way to throw balls is temp swings and inconsistent grow conditions, I’ve selfed a few putting em through hell

3 Likes

My biggest concern is if these are more photo then auto with a lack of ruderalis or that its not switching over as it should. The temps have remained consistent. I also use Callmag once and awhile as needed. I ran high humidity through veg around 55 to 65 percent and now around 40 dropping to 35 when the bags dry up. I have gone from low intensity on the light to high intensity as well as adjusting light height as needed. I think I am doing everything properly from all the research I have done before I started but I am confused as ILGM says it should flower in around 5 weeks as well as some of the videos I have seen of others growing Blue Dream auto from ILGM.

3 Likes

Worst thing that could happen switching to 12/12 is the plants could start to flower and you will save power, don’t seem like a bad risk to me…

Autoflower is a recessive trait
Photo period is a dominant

Cross an autoflower with a photo and all resulting seeds will be photo, cross the offspring of the two and 25% will be auto, cross the autos that appear and your hitting 50%, do it again and your up to 75%, do it again and your close to 100% but not quite there, do it one more time and ur prob seeing a uniform all are auto. Problem is some breeders don’t want to throw away those seeds that are gonna show about 75% or better of the auto traits and go off, majority are auto so that’s their claim. Breeding autos is a lot of work but that work is only quality once u hit about 6 or 7 generations down, anything less than an f6 is prob gonna show these signs. If they were fem it means they took one of those later generation plants an reversed it and selfed itself with its own pollen which is still possible to have the photo parent still end up dominant depending on how far the cultivar was worked

6 Likes

If you’re 7 1/2 weeks from sprouting the seeds then switch it to 12/12 and finish it out.
I didn’t pay close enough attention to how old they are. The main thing I was getting across is that if they are auto flowers once you drop your lights hours for a period of time there is no going back.

7 Likes

I’ve never heard this before. This is very interesting. I have a friend that just crossbred auto flower pollen with a bunch of photos. I’m going to stand back and watch and see how this turns out. :wink::joy::+1:t3:

3 Likes

I’ve tested that theory and it’s not true, some days in the spring they got 24 hrs and some days they got 12, no balls were thrown and had a smooth harvest even with inconsistent lighting schedules, photo periods I would agree with u though

2 Likes

I’d almost guarantee those are all gonna be photos with ruderalis hidden in the genotype but would be absolutely blown away if one of the phenos expressed the auto parent

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone again!
I went back to their website and in the description, it says “starts to flower in 10-14 weeks” I think that is off as I suspect they mean it finished flower in 10-14 weeks as I read and saw somewhere else it should be around 5-6 weeks for flowers to form. I sent ILGM a question as well on this to see what they say. I may give it a few more days and if no signs switch to 12/12 and not look back lol.

4 Likes

Here’s a better illustration

Since photoperiod is a dominant trait we will represent that with A and since ruderalis is a recessive we will represent that with a

A true auto flower is gonna be aa and a true photo is gonna be AA and a photo that carries the ruderalis gene is Aa

So run It through the punnet square and all boxes are Aa and since the photoperiod is the dominant trait thats all your gonna see, but now cross the Aa with an Aa and you finally see an AA,Aa,Aa, and aa, there’s your 25%auto to start working with, 25%photo only and 50% photo that carries the ruderalis

7 Likes

That’s out of my scope. I am personally not interested in breeding or auto flowers for all that matters. I have some seeds for them and I will grow them but that’s just because I get bored.

But I will keep that in my memory. That’s some pretty interesting stuff there… thanks for sharing…:+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

Definitely would be a time consuming endeavor!

4 Likes