Auto Flowers ,any hints or tips?

With top feed what kind of schedule should a guy feed 24/7 every cppl hrs

4 Likes

I keep my top feed on 24/7

You gotta be careful about how you set it up though or you could experience damping off but,

This is what I do: @dupa

I use larger net pots, I believe 8", so the drip ring doesn’t sit right next to the trunk. The 4" net pots barely allow for spacing between a big trunk and the drip ring.

I either don’t grow with Rockwool or when I do I rip the Rockwool from the base of the stem when it’s stronger.

I haven’t really mastered running the drip ring 24/7 when the stem is smaller and the damping off potential is there. I run it when it’s a seedling, then turn it off in late seedling/early veg stage, then turn it back on once the trunk is big and strong.

I cover the trunk and drip ring with something that keeps them really dark. This encourages more roots to grow. Don’t use paper products like cardboard, something that “sheds” water and doesn’t absorb it.

5 Likes

Welcome @dupa to the Growers Network!

Yup! This is the key, and to have a very airy medium like hydroton/LECA. Also to be carfeul not having your water level too high in your DWC. Just nearing/touching the bottom of the net pot, and no higher, unless your roots aren’t quite to the bottom of the netpot, again you can raise the water level to just nearing the bottom level of the roots.

~MacG

4 Likes

Thnx man mite have to rig up a top feed n give it a shot

3 Likes

I like the waterfarm air lift type.

~MacG

2 Likes

Gonna have to try sumthin different set one up with drip ring come to check it after cppl hrs good thing I did hose popped off pump flooded my room lol

4 Likes

I run autos with my photos Bc I like having the flexibility to move them through my rooms as I switch and harvest.

The only thing I do different with them is I try not to transplant. They really don’t care for it.

Lots of people will tell u not to HST them but I do with great results. Training them is all about timing and something I find can’t really be taught but more learned if that makes any sense. On your first couple I would play with the nutes and learn that first.

Reading your plants is something that comes with time. Autos are all about timing Windows. Nute manipulation is the biggest key. When u see the first sign of pre flower (first pistils) I give it a powerful (full strength) boost of late veg nutes and I do that for the following week. Then I only feed with ph water and sweetener. I don’t start bloom nutes until I see the stretch is over. This will usually slow the flowering process down and get me extra veg time.

I average 6 oz each auto. Which I know I could increase if I grew in water over soil. But I already have a humidity issue. So that’s not a choice for me. The only auto I ever stunted was a transplant and I will never do that again. It was mislabeled as a photo.

Autos don’t mind training and stress as much as people have been misinformed to believe. That’s the problem with bad info on the internet. People read it and then believe it and then tell others as if it’s fact. It’s not. From experience I can tell u, u can train an auto just like a photo.

Good luck farmer. Glad to have u around to learn. This is a great hobby. Hope u enjoy as much as we do

9 Likes

Thanks for the info.
Do you top or fim your autos ?

6 Likes

Yes I do both. But again timing is key

7 Likes

I super cropped my autos 2 days ago, and they are both turned towards the sun.

7 Likes

Do autos do good in a DWC. I am about to start another batch of 4 autoflowers. 3 are Barney’s farm tangerine dream auto and 1 is auto extreme from Dutch passion. I was planning on doing all in DWC setup but I am getting cold feet. And think I want to do 1 in DWC, 2 in coconut coir. And 1 in a FF potting soil. As I am new to growing my own supply. I have just about finished my first ever grow of 2 Dutch passion auto extreme. In my own mixed super soil of sorts. I am just looking for something relatively simple but able to grow some nice smoke.

6 Likes

images%20(3)

Welcome to Growers Network @happyhippy :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome Happy Hippy.

I find DWC very easy if you have the tools and supplies for it, and don’t mind watching the pH closely.

Soil and Soilless media can buffer the pH a bit, and especially with help from microbes it can somewhat self regulate the pH.

Coco coir can be tricky for some because of cal/mag deficiency problems and sometimes potassium tox. problems due to the the nature of Coconut coir.

A lot of people love Fox Farm, and they have a few different formulas, all that may need special specific needs and possible pH issues on occasion.

My preference is DWC for flowering. I like to keep a stable of genetics in either water culture or soil/soilless, but often I’ll use soilless for the convenience of moving plants around and kind of actually slowing growth done for the ladies in waiting.

~MacG

5 Likes

Personally I think DWC is a great way to grow autos - you can grow the plant without dealing with transplant issues or layering soil in pots, etc.

This particular autoflower (ILGM Blueberry) yielded just under 9oz:

It was on an 8ga square bucket. I germinated the seed in a glass of H2O with a few drops of H2O2, ran it in my cloner for a couple weeks while it got through the seedling stage, and then put it over the 8ga bucket in a 4" net pot.

The plant had issues, too. I topped it once (usually a no-no with autos), and then accidentally split the main stem right down the middle right at the same time it went into flower. It was also my first time using those 8ga square buckets, and I ended up with root rot just a couple weeks into veg and had to cut off most of her roots.

6 Likes

Throw them away. Not a real fan of auto varieties, myself. I want the most a plant can give and because of a shortened grow period, the autos cannot produce to the degree that normal strains do. However, do not think I am any kind of authority of these varieties. That’s just my opinion.

TWW

2 Likes

Autos can do every bit a photo can. If u know what you’re doing. As Al said above. He got 9 oz from that auto. How many photos do u get 9 oz from religiously?

7 Likes

Love to play with auto. Best part of them is you can in them in door at 20/4 and never change the light timing from seed to harvest. The extra light during the flower phase allows to you get some killer size buds for a smaller plant

5 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcoming and responses.

6 Likes

Right on I usually run straight photo periods but am starting to dabble with autos just started a few gonna run em full term in the veg tent pretty awesome I thought lol

5 Likes

Agree with @hoppiefrog

1 Like