Autoflower Twenty20 contest

I don’t see any mention of a hydro system or what type of system you are using. I do see mention of CoCo and I am of no help there, never used it. Everyone that I know that has used re-claimed rain water, has had nothing but issues, with using it. Most of the issues if I remember correctly, had to do with the PH. What type of Hydro system are you using? Bubble Bucket, DWC, RDWC, Flood to Drain, Aeroponics etc. My first question is always, how much of an air gap do you have between the bottom of your net pot and the water/solution, assuming (and I hate using that word), that we are talking Hydro. Like I said everyone that I know that has tried to use rain water has had nothing but issues.
I have a Twizzlers and Whiskey Zulu above ground now, that I got from the Twenty 20 Auto Race. I also ordered a pack of each from auto but, have not received them yet, I’m sure that they will arrive soon.
My understanding is that there is something about the rain water and the nutrients that we use that just doesn’t jive with each other and it’s not just your nutes. I have spoken with others that use several different types of nutes and have the same issues.
Have you used rain water before on your grows? Any issues? If no, what has changed in/with your water collection system?

3 Likes

Its starts at post 32

2 Likes

I read the whole post before responding and still am not sure what kinda system he is even using

2 Likes

Loco I been racking my brain, I got all new buckets all new airstones and all pure silicone air lines when I started this as it is my first hydro “kinda” grow lol. I haven’t changed anything since I started except the water once so far. I am changing it out every 7 days. I am following the feed chart from the nute maker, I was using baking soda for PH up when I started and when I adjusted the PH mixing the nutes last week, because I didn’t have anything else. The nutrient company told me that the Baking soda was an unknown maybe it keeps nutralizing the acid? I sure can’t figure it out. I am going to use standard PH up and down on the next water change, got it coming. I guess I should do zero unknowns before I blame the nutrients. That will be around Wed or Thursday with the stuff gets here. It will go a little longer than a week on the water change.

2 Likes

I am doing a 5, 5 gallon RDWC setup, 5 gallon bucket for the reservoir and 4 plants in 5 gallon buckets.

2 Likes

Sorry for that lol…you have a whole lot bigger reservoir don’t you?

I’m assuming (there’s that effing word again), that you have never used rain water before? There are too many variables usually associated with rain water. Including what pollutants were in the air at the time it rained. Assuming, damn that word, that you have enough air gap, between the bottom of your net pot and the water/solution, my next suspect would be the rain water water.

1 Like

i don’t think it could have much in the way of pollutants in it at 13ppm could it? I have never had any problem with using it in coco. but then again that is a whole different ballgame.

And a question what would the water level have to do with PH? I have the water about 1" below the net pots. I have 4 different size plants as two seeds didn’t germanate so a couple were behind and I did keep the water level up a little closer to the pot because of that they hardly had any roots when I put them in the hydro buckets so I wanted the water keeping the hydroton a little wetter for the two small ones. I have had them in for over a week and let the water level go down.

I don’t chase numbers like everyone else does. I’m just saying everyone that I know that has tried to use rain water, has had nothing but issues. I ask about the water level because, I have had and have seen plants, that look similar due, to water level being too high. Water level should be at the minimum 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches below net pot. I’m just trying to help with the little bit of knowledge that I have from the info that I have.
Again, I don’t chase numbers. I have had similar looking issues from water level being too high. If water level is too high, plants will suffocate. If all of your roots are in water now, you should have at least a 2" air gap, between net pot and water/solution.
I know another guy that is using well water and his PPM was good and the PH was good and started having issues. He had his well water tested and come to find out, it was high in a salt content, that was bad for the plants. He now uses RO water. I’m just saying even with your numbers in range, you can still have issues. Unfortunately, you have no way of knowing what is contained in your 13 PPM as far as each element good/bad/dunno.
Well that’s just my opinion :v:t4:

2 Likes

@sssportsmfg What is the ppm of the water before nutes? Anything 150ppm and up, the hardness will cause ph to climb. I’m on a well and mine is like 450 before nutes and climbs like that too really fast at my ppm. RO system coming this week to correct it.

He said he was at 13PPM?

1 Like

OKthat is a GREAT answer, I don’t know what is in my rainwater. Maybe OK for coco but not Hydro. I was just scarfing around the internet and googling about rainwater quality in St. Louis. I didn’t find much other than the St. Louis Botanical gardens collects and uses it. But again it doesn’t say if they use it for any kind of water growing system. Unlike a lot of states and cities, St. Louis and Missouri as a whole promotes rainwater collection for gardens lawn watering and car washing and the like. In a lot of states it is illegal to collect it. I will lower my water level down another inch. I appreciate the time and knowledge, I am a complete newbie at Hydro so any information is welcome for me!!

Thanks!!

Well that kills that idea. I know that’s the issue I’m having. Water so hard even ph perfect lets it climb

Yes my rainwater is very low PPM, I always wait until the water has cleaned off my roof and gutters and downspouts and is running clear before I collect it. The PH is always around 6.1 and the PPM is always in the (lowest) 8PPM and has gone as high as 20PPM. It is usually between 13-15.

1 Like

I’ll check back in , in a bit. Gotta finish up a few things :v:t4:
Rain water for those things probably work fine. Just from my experience and people that I have talked to, doesn’t work well for what we are doing.

1 Like

I heard that loud and clear !! If others have problems with it, it sounds like that is mine as well. Can’t think of anything else that I have not checked.

Thanks!

Well it may be because I used Baking soda too…cause that is pretty close to a hard water content…just guessing though.

1 Like

I know a guy that installed a rainwater collection system for his grow. He had very similar issues. He now uses the rainwater for his vegetable garden with no issues. I don’t know why this is, I just know that I have seen/heard of it many times. I just want you to be successful. I would not tell you something that I have not seen or heard about from, what I consider a reliable source. I would just say, I don’t know but, would try to help you find the answer

Wish I was more help, thought I nailed that one since I’m having the same issue

You running hydroton