Build a small room or buy a bigger tent?

Ah, I see now.

I got a 5x10 for the same reasons you were talking about. 4x8 just wasn’t enough space to fit everything in comfortably. I got this one and have been pretty happy with it.

https://www.tthydroponic.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_158&product_id=2371

@docdre I gotta re do the door. I was only cutting away measuring and just going lol I didn’t think about it needing to be completely dark when I was in the grove. Just gotta cut 4 new pieces and adjust my cross bars then use weather striping, spring and some board to keep it closed.

@devjyarni can already tell there will be a big difference in width. The lower stuff should get better light. I didn’t want to pay the price to buy a bigger tent so I had to do different. Going to start with 1 600w HPS and 2 “1200w” led 100w from the meter. Till I upgrade my circuit to handle 3 600w HPS. I have 2 HPS so far

2 Likes

Uploading: IMG_4998.JPG…

End of day 1. Gonna weave the ceiling for extra strength and rigidity. Need to cut a few more pieces for it but it’s coming. Turning out to be sturdier then I thought.

4 Likes

@sleeperjunky
I understand that fact that you want to redo your door. But for me, my brain works overtime sometimes. And the fact that a “picture says a thousand words”. I worked out already how I will couter the light leak at the door. But the solution is more for a smaller size door. I want to build a mother tent, but maybe not all in the conventional tent building methods. But it’s still a idea for me at this point in time. So I’m sourcing ideas in the meantime.

1 Like

My local hydro store sells zippers that have a double sided tape on the back. They’re used for making zipper doors in temporary walls during construction or renovation. They work great to make a light tight seal when panda film is overlapped by a few inches.

2 Likes

Two 20a breakers is the way to go :wink:

1 Like

Do u know where to get the full porthole style zipper door (not the straight ones u need two of;)

You would be handy to have around I do some metal work but I have my limits lol

@docdre I am about $70 in this so far. 23 3/4" pvc, 10 pack of Mylar, a tarp and couple moving blankets. @devjyarn I seen some of those at Home Depot yesterday in the paint section. They wanted $27 for one so I said eh I’ll just make a door for now. I have springs and weather stripping to help keep light out. @hoppiefrog I was thinking 2 20a as well. I just don’t know how the old lady will react when I feel her she can’t to laundry between 5 pm and 5 am. My breaker panel is a 125a panel. So with the heater/ac going and everything else gotta be careful. I was thinking running sepret circuits for veg and flower and do a few outlets above the tent. Everything I do needs to be reversible when I move lol steel, alum, and SS is life for me. I’m a machinist/fabricator for a small company. We build custom and repair high end diesel trucks and trailers. 99% of our business is from race teams. There is 4 of us working. 3 do everything and 1 guy paints. I have a handyman business with my buddy so that requires to know a lot. You’d be surprised at how much stuff can be applied from thing to another and go hand in hand so to speak lol

4 Likes

For sure I grew up in a drywall and painting /cleaning business family. Since then I do carpentry and some plumbing and electrical .they all kinda carry over at some point or another . makes it easier to do things unknown

2 Likes

I’m a Millwright (Electrician and Mechanical Fitter) by trade, but currently working in the fire industry with smoke detection and suppression systems. I also do the handyman thing, but more for myself, Family and friends. I Love doing DIY, makes you think.

1 Like

I use them for my flower room. A two pack at Lowe’s is 20$. I recommend putting them on something sturdy each side and using something more than the sticky that comes on it. I used liquid nails on drywall and a staple gun after it was dry to make sure it stayed. There’s a lot of zipping and unzipping that goes on, u want it very sturdy.

Oh I have used them lots .I prefer the porthole style they have a great flange on them and a double wide sticky strip .the ones I got td are great as well with real nice sticky .they will only be on for two weeks then I tear it all down .and build another one a table over.

Well after building all day last Saturday I had a dream Sunday morning. This dream was of a much simpilar and sturdier grow room. I drank my morning coffee and smoked my morning smoke and contemplated my next move. I decided to not build a tent but rather extend the existing walls I already built to the ceiling and cutting my old tent up to cover the walls. I need to get another tent to finish my walls but I think it will work out. I have a guy on the line to trade a 4x4 tent for a quarter oz. That’s not a bad deal if you’d ask me. Next I need to get the materials to add another breaker and build a power distribution box on the ceiling to run 3 400w HPS maybe 600 watters. Buddy wanted to say hi too lol

6 Likes

The Best Ideas Comes In The Mornings.
Especially when you had a good nights rest.
Good Luck, really hopes it works out for you.

4 Likes

Well after building the new room a couple weeks ago we are moving to a house from an apt this weekend. I am super stoked to have a garage to work in. Gonna be building a 3x6 and 6x6 room in the garage with 2x4 and ply. Stay tuned!

3 Likes

That’s a great light. I have that in my room. It’s 12’ x 8’.

1 Like

Welp thought it was Jan 2020… went to post here and found I’m a year late…

Maybe this will help with the next place. Best of luck

Here’s the build I’m currently working on

5 Likes

i do that all the time :grinning:

2 Likes