Cloning your plants

I have been reading up and watching videos on several cloning techniques lately due to my horrible failure attempting to take clones this summer. I was just wondering what the great growers of my favourite forum have to input on this topic. What is your preferred method of cloning??

5 Likes

I’m following this thread. I built a turbo cloner and am almost ready to go DWC in my other tent. I cloned a plant 4 times and 2 survived but very slow to grow.

3 Likes

@PreyBird1 very nice! Do you have any pictures of your builds?

2 Likes

Here is the box it’s a sterlite gasket box. I was having an issue with leakage using a different box.

This box’s lid is not so hot.

4 Likes

I have 4 different pumps and I’m trying to get one that make 100 psi so I can get a super fine mist. I have a new pump that is 120 psi and some really nice misters but they need high psi to function. I just dont know if my drip tubing can handle that pressure. But working 60 hrs a week I have no time to experiment.

3 Likes

Is it possible to transfer this style of clone into a soiless medium or soil? I’m assuming the answer is no but I thought I’d ask anyway…

You can put the clone into whatever medium you want. I think soil into hydro wont work due to the soil all up in the roots. But I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Here is my sprayers. I ended up adding 5 more that squirt up at an angle. This is with a 450 gallon pump.

It works great with 3 gallons of solution/nutrients.

3 Likes

I am certainly not a cloning expert but every cutting that I have taken has grown roots.

The process that I use is not fancy and is very inexpensive.

1. take healthy cuttings
  2. trim all of the leaves leaving half if each leaf
  3. cut the bottom at 45 degrees at or just below an existing node
  4. dip the cut end into Clonex, about 1 - 1.25 inches
  5. place cutting in moist rooting cube (too wet and they will not root or will take a long time)
    If the cube feels more than just slightly moist, it is too wet.
  6. place cubes in tray
  7. mist all leaves with water
  8. cover with a humidity dome.

The real magic, I think, is to keep the cuttings leaves wet most of the time. I mist them several times each day. All cuttings show roots in about 7 - 10 days.

This is not a fancy process but it works well for me.

This same technique will work just putting the prepared cuttings directly into slightly moist soil but it is more difficult to tell when the roots have started and it is more difficult to keep the moisture just right.

6 Likes

My Archaic way is extremely cheap & affective for me, I take 2 soup cups and 1 solo cup with 3 small holes on the bottom for drainage & make a mini green house of sorts, each mini green house receives 175ml of my water slf mixture & then tapped shut, on each cup top has a pinkie sized hole tapped for now that is for ventilation when roots appear or if for some reason the soil was a lower moisture content I’ll add water though the hole with a mini funnel, I’m sure to find a new faster way but I have always had a 100% successful clone doing it this way so that has kept me from trying other ways due to the lack of funds for the big boy clone setups. I have looked into the DIY but I dont want to rely on a pump that could fail and then back to square 1 we go.
https://ibb.co/khjM3QQ

Yes they look dead and droopy but 10 mins under the light and they stand back up and strong.

I never give them any ferts until they show roots out the bottom of the red solo. The only thing that is in the water is SLF100. 5ml to 1 gal is my mixture

4 Likes

I am 100% at the moment using Liquid Karma and silica in 1 gallon of water and DWC technique… I had no room as I can nly do 6 at a time… my perfect streak might end as I had some just sitting in a cup of water waiting for room… the 3 cuttings left won’t be making it to the cloner so they don’t count… they get tossed tomorrow when I top up…

5 Likes

Hey what’s up ? The best , fastest and easiest way I found to clone is with a areo cloner. Many moons ago when I first tried cloning. I tried every possible way And got shit results.
Then I bought a areo cloner and never looked back. I have built 3 more since then. And I get 100% results every time. In fact on Sat. 8/24 I took 46 clones and as of last night Mon. 9/2 all but 4 have started getting roots already.
This is the same way preybird1 is showing you.
But may I say preybird1 that is a nice build but I believe you shouldn’t be using a clear tub. You do not want any light getting into your grow chamber. I think maybe you should paint it white.
Also Dave there is one step when you take clones that a lot of people don’t do.
And that is has soon as you take the clone put it into a cup or something of water. Then when you are ready to install the clone into your cloner cut the end at 45% and install. Just a little thing I learned a long time ago that got me to 100% results.
Anyway good luck bros.

6 Likes

I have a good method of cloning for soil man get ahold of me

2 Likes

We clone with about 95% success and easy as it gets.

We just cut the bottom of the clone at an angle and rough up the stem about 1/4” up. Place it in moist soil with some root powder and let her go. We clone almost every plant at least 3-4 clones. No fancy process but almost complete success.

6 Likes

About a week before taking cuttings, make sure the plant you’re harvesting from has had a decent feed with fulvic acid, kelp and B-vitamins. A kelp/fulvic foliar spray works well.
Try to choose cuttings that have tight enough node spacing to get 2 nodes inside your rooting medium (jiffy, rockwool, aero, soil, coco - it doesn’t matter)
As other have said, place the cut ends immediately in water to limit shock.
I like to remove all leaves except for the top 4. These leaves should be cut so the tips are no longer pointed and about half their original length.
If you’re rooting in jiffy, rockwool, soil or coco use a rooting hormone on the stem. As stated above, you can also scratch or scrape the part of the stem that will be below the surface. Do that before applying the rooting hormone.
If you’re rooting in jiffy, rockwool, soil or coco use a humidity dome for at least the first week. Keep humidity around 100%, day temperature around 22°C, night temperature around 18°C.
If using an aero cloner, no humidity dome is needed. pH the water to 6.3. Day and night temps should be the same.
Plants need about 150 micro moles of light for 18 hours.
Wait for an abundance of roots. Air pruning in rockwool makes plants explode into life when transplanted.

4 Likes

Air pruning?

1 Like

I was thinking of painting it. I still have another black tub I was thinking of putting it into as a flood tray and that could help. I didnt want a clear tote but this one has the best water seal and you can swap it out for a soft rubber tube that make it very water proof.

3 Likes

You can make a gasket by putting oil on the top lip of the bin and use silicone on the lid.lip and gently place.lid on till it dries it will be a bit tough to pull off but it will make a great gasket seal I used to use one to transport babies home from the compassion club

2 Likes

Interesting. Like a veggie oil. My brother suggested a parchment paper maybe the 2 together like a saturated parchment paper silicone and we should have 2 totes. Hhhhmmm.

3 Likes

That could work and a ratchet strap could help w the leaky ones w/o the clip down handle thingy

2 Likes