Container Size

When choosing a grow pot which do you consider more important: height or diameter ?
Is it better to have a tall narrow pot or a short wide one ?
Thanks

6 Likes

That is a good question. I don’t think I’ve ever seen people’s opinions on this before. This is a good topic!

I’ll take some growers in :wink:
@macgyver_stoner @Ladithief @Packee @myfriendis410 @covertgrower @tdubwilly @hoppiefrog @zparkie2 @imSICKkid @not2sureyet @smhtwo @sdgreene @BudBrother

4 Likes

Diameter roots shoot shallow and wide

3 Likes

Kinda depends on what we are talking.

Hydro I like deep buckets but of course I do DWC. Other forms of hydro do well with shallow buckets.

Also kinda depends on what type of plants your growing. A sea of green that incorporates small plants would do great shallow and wide but if your growing large plants then it’s nice to have that deep anchor.

I think if you can let us know what type of grow your planning on running then we can properly advise

6 Likes

Definitely different for hydro but even with lg plants I do better w a wide 30 gal pots than a tall 30 gal pots

4 Likes

Depends what u can fit I suppose I like the 30 gal fabric bag profile

1 Like

Out doors I need both… I get 60-70mph winds in the summer… last year I had the whole root ball roll on my Skywalker… I propped it up and stacked bags of dirt around it to support it… if it wasn’t deep the pot it would have come right out… if the pot had been too tall it would have tipped… so for me I go for the volume of the pot… it was in 35 gallon… so that is my answer and why I use what I use… I would go bigger but my raised bed they sit in only takes 35gal max size pots… couldn’t buy any this year so I am in 30gal… next year I am revamping and going right into the ground in 3’x4’x12" raised beds I am making…

8 Likes

Thank you for the reference @missiles . I used both types, and next grow I am using super soil and going to use the taller ones because I don’t want my veg roots getting down to the flower soil too soon. I will fill half way up with my mix and the rest with roots organics original. It is good for 4-6 weeks. I am using the wider/lower ones right now and see that the roots can reach halfway pretty quick.

6 Likes

Be careful the two mixes don’t shrink at different rates and tear your roots up

5 Likes

Myself, I’m doing autos in 3 gallon pots .
Next grow probably will use 5 gallon,depending on what this runs roots look like.

2 Likes

I usually run my autos in a 5 gallon and so far I’ve really only had one root ball that looked like it used the whole 5 gallon pot.

6 Likes

When considering this I prefer a short wide container. Cannabis doesn’t typically have deep tap roots from what I read. I grow in 5 gallon fabric pots, however I did pretty well with coco in a 3 gallon. I might switch things up a bit in the future. So there’s always an exception example somewhere.

9 Likes

I simply like a good wide footprint to maintain stability.

8 Likes

This might give you a little guidance @crowkiller

I had always followed the guideline that you needed 1 gallon of pot to every 3/4 of a foot in plant height but this article suggest more pot volume then that

I’m not sure if they address your question directly but hopefully you can find some info that will help you choose @crowkiller

9 Likes

Thanks for the input :+1:

4 Likes

Shallow and wide but that’s mostly depends how large of a plant you want to grow. I currently grow in 400 gallon pots . and as you buy bigger pots (fabric) they get wider and shallower .Of course this is for outdoor and in soil.

2 Likes

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/standard17/uploads/bergmanslab/original/3X/8/7/8755451c0536be12a7a03cd120de6809c803a599.jpeg
5 gallon smartpots of Living Soil.

This is from a 37 gallon tote of Living Soil .
Iv found by my experience that if I top water frequently with small amounts- I can keep the roots short n wide. But when I bottom water at regular amounts, the roots grow further though the soil n wider.
It’s growers choice.

7 Likes

Nice roots @organicgrower4m :wink:

5 Likes

I’m big and cloth outdoors lol

Hydro I’m same as @macgyver_stoner
I’m ebb and flow. So shallow but wide

1 gal pots

7 Likes

I read somewhere that any thing over 16 inches is a waist of soil, it’s better to have wide pots…but, doing a automated coco grow watering 4-6 times a day I can still grow a huge plant (4-6 ounces dry) in 1 1/2 gallon pot.
I also have seen buddy’s that grow fill a ebb and flow tray and do a no till soil grow and the results are fantastic.

4 Likes