Cultivating for juicing cannabis and making smoothies

I’ve been enjoying vegetable/fruit smoothies made with hemp milk, kale, spinach, carrots, banana, orange, and apple lately. Gotta love a Vitamix!
I’d like to start adding raw cannabis to the mix too and am curious to learn from others the optimal stage at which raw cannabis would be the most nutritious/tasty/palatable.
I’ve heard of people using trim leaves from growers that are cultivating flowers; but is there a best practice for cultivating cannabis as a “vegetable”?
I feel like outdoor grown that hasn’t had foliar sprays used would be a good idea.
Do different growth stages taste better than others?
Has anybody sauteed fan leaves?
Who has experience in this area?
Thanks!

5 Likes

@garymorgan posted an interesting video on juicing here, if you haven’t seen it:

They show the juicing setup at around the 7 minute mark.

3 Likes

Really depends on what you’re looking to get out of the smoothie! Different parts of plants have different substances, naturally.

3 Likes

Fun follow-up article from the USDA on including microgreens into your diet:

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events/news/research-news/2017/eat-your-greens-microgreens-that-is/

3 Likes

An article about juicing cannabis and the nutrition it supplies.
https://naturegoingsmart.com/raw-cannabis-juicing-guide/

4 Likes

My new neighbor (they move in around Valentine’s Day) juices her cannabis leaves and makes smoothies from them. I’ve never tried it before. I’ve heard some people say it’s similar to a shot of wheat grass. I’m going to need more leaves I think :grinning:

She also uses the roots to make salves and rubs, literally the entire plant can be used in one way shape or form. I’ve actually got one of her lip balm/chap sticks that contains THC somewhere around the house!

3 Likes

I’m going to try sprouting hemp seeds and start eating them daily . Sprouts are wicked healthy

3 Likes

Would that be kind of like bean sprouts? Because if the taste/texture is similar, that is a match made in sandwich heaven!

3 Likes

Just found this article about hemp sprouts:

4 Likes

Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food!

3 Likes

Absolutely, prevention and reversal of disease through better nutrition.
With the healthcare system failing we all have to look for new ways to stay healthy.
Cannabis juice and sprouts are not psychoactive and can be used by all age groups! :wink:

3 Likes

From that article:

Cannflavin is a flavonoid unique to hemp sprouts

The anti-inflammatory effect of cannflavin was found already in 1985 and shown to be higher than that of aspirin.

That’s amazing! I’d bet probably quite a bit better for your stomach lining too (thinking pill deposits, people eat aspirin and ibuprofen like candy.)

3 Likes

Not only aspirin and other NSAIDs, but think of all of the pharmaceuticals that are targeted toward decreasing inflammation. The cost associated with those compared to growing sprouts in ones kitchen could save a lot of money … and side effects.

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering about this myself. I’ve been doing research and a lot of what is being mentioned here, seems to line up with my own research. Great info everyone, thanks for contributing your knowledge!

2 Likes