Def’s First Outdoor Desert Grow

So I took 3 feminized homemade white widow beans, stuck them in water for 24 hours, 2/3 had split and stuck tails out so i just went straight to soil, skipped the paper towel this time. Right now they are in a cheap organic soil with about 30% added perlite. I have FFOF for them to be up potted into later.

Again, this is my first outdoor grow, and I will happily take any advice!

14 Likes

Can’t wait to see your girls growing in the sunshine!

4 Likes

Thanks! I cant wait either! We should have perfect weather for the next month, i still gotta set up a shade screen yet.

3 Likes

Forecast predictions… should I nurse these girls under a light, for the first week? Or would a shade screen be ok I wonder?

3 Likes

I would start giving them a few hours of sunlight each day as soon as they pop soil. My seedlings have gotten between 3-6 hours of sunlight for the past few days before being brought back in to finish up each day under lights. Our temps are not nearly as hot as yours, so I’d imagine that a combo of sunlight and shade would certainly help by not cooking them right away. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Looking good @defnsmokn . Seedlings dont need much to start anyway, so its a good start for them. I hope you get 100% germinated.

3 Likes

In my area of AZ, I start them outside the first few days with almost ZERO direct sun, all dappled sun through shade mesquite branches, or under the eaves of the house. After about 3-4 days (watch for stress or stretching), I move them to just a couple hours of direct sun a day. IF they tolerate that, another couple of days then full sun. They will dry quickly in our 11% RH outside, so monitor the soil! After that, I put them in as much direct sun until mid/late April, then time to really watch for stress as it gets hot.

May one suggest a cheap light meter and some shade cloth be one of your next steps in prep for your outdoor area? I ordered a custom-sized piece from these people. https://www.becoolsolutions.com/products/white-knitted-shade-cloth

Krylon makes a plastic paint called Fusion that bonds well to grow pots. (Rustoleum plastic paint is okay if the pots aren’t traditional smooth grow pots) Maybe paint the outside of your pots before it gets too hot (doing mine over next few days).

I have grown small amounts successfully outdoors in Arizona and that is my approach. Others from hot climates may have a different way.

3 Likes

Thank you for the shade screen link!

I have some white 5 gal buckets that I drilled out holes in, i can always add more holes and wrap the buckets in cardboard or something to block sunlight? Ive also got 5 gal and 7 gal fabric pots, but those are black.

2 Likes

Thanks! Im hoping for 100% as well!

2 Likes

I’m using twenty and twenty-five gallon pots.

3 Likes

I seen them big suckers, i fully believe that those would be the better option, but being my first attempt at outdoors, and in soil, (ive done coco coir) and We arent at our permanent residence yet, hopefully we are there by end of May. So i think the 5 gal buckets would be best for now so they are still mobile, and then maybe i can up pot them once we get a place.

I imagine the more soil you have, the better insulated you can keep the roots, as well as bigger plants.

3 Likes

I could even begin to imagine pots that size.

My little pots. lol!

6 Likes

Big things come in small packages!

2 Likes

Great to see you Def, even greater to see you growing!
:fist:

2 Likes

Hey!!! Good to be growing again! Or atleast attempting to lol

3 Likes

I will be here watching! Congratulations on the move too.
:v:

1 Like

@defnsmokn,
What are you anticipating regarding your very new grow climate, and how it affects your plants?

2 Likes

Im betting I struggle with water cycles, lol i have no idea other than trying to maintain adequate water techniques. Im excited but im ready to get my rooms built lol

3 Likes

I am excited with you brother. I know you will have temp and water issues at first but you will adapt to the area.
I learned this Winter how temperature affects so many variables with the plants.
Lessons learned.
:fist:

2 Likes

With residence change still ahead, it seems you have a good approach and plan.

When it gets HOT midsummer, the bigger pots are easier to facilitate keeping roots cooler.

3 Likes