Ditch the Old Terminology Indica vs Sativa

This article was recently published by HighTimes and written by one of our GN members, @todd.mccormick . Although cannabis plants are commonly referred to as Indica, Sativa, ruderalis, hybrid, sativa-dominant etc… Its fairly confusing as a grower, consumer of cannabis to understand the exact category your cannabis falls into. This is a nice article about the possible different naming conventions to categorize cannabis. Click here for the full article.

In 2013, Robert Clarke launched a new taxonomy in the world of cannabis, the problem is, it’s a bit complex. Robert breaks down the varieties as follows:

Broad Leaflet Drug = BLD

Narrow Leaflet Drug = NLD

Broad Leaf Hemp = BLH

Narrow Leaf Hemp = NLH

Robert also has another category for ancestors, as there are varieties of cannabis growing around the world that have escaped human cultivation and have become feral once again. For this he uses “PA” for punitive ancestor.

Robert’s 21st century cannabis taxonomy has been around for 10 years now and while it makes a lot of sense, it’s not catching on. I think this is mostly because it’s too complex for people to grasp easily, but that is to be expected considering Robert is a scientist and if you read any of his books, you will see that they are very detailed and well referenced.

The modern cannabis market is made up of hybrids which are incredibly hard to classify as Northern or tropical, Indica, or sativa, because they have attributes of both.

The effects we feel when we smoke or vaporize are controlled by the cannabinoids and terpenes which modulate the effects of the cannabinoids. The analogy I would use is that getting high is like getting on an airplane, the cannabinoids bring you up to altitude and the terpenes are the rudders that control the whole flight.

The terpenes are so important that the entire experience from the bud can be ruined if the bud is over dried, because when it is over dried, the terpenes evaporate and the bud does not taste or smell anywhere near as good as it did when it was fresh.

5 Likes

Yip this is the part I am finding the hardest…SAVE THE TERPS

3 Likes

Cool, dry and dark place in a vaccum sealed container works wonders for me. Its not perfect, but bud lasts longer than a year. Now I am wondering about broad leaf indica varities in South Africa.

3 Likes

This article is already over a year old and is quite interesting as to where the Emerald Cup is heading and what technology they are using to define cannabis.

Our goal is to revolutionize the cannabis industry and change the way people shop for cannabis products. Napro Research and SC Labs have been partners for a decade now in trying to dive deeper into the compounds of cannabis and the nuances of each cultivar. And over time, we’ve realized just how off base the industry is in defining cannabis classes. So what better way to help educate the public than through the high profile industry awards, The Emerald Cup. Working together, we created a new cannabis classification system for the 2022 awards that promises to bridge the disconnect between culture, science, and traditional organoleptic industries. It is based on the terpene fingerprints within each cultivar that are uncovered through lab testing and mapped using PhytoFacts®, a data visualization tool. Here’s how it works. Source

3 Likes

Yes that is definitely the end position I get to but even this time with more care and attention I still seem to have lost over half the smells i estimate.
I had a room that I was able to keep dark and at 60 % RH and under 20 deg C for 5 days.
I then used unbleached paper bags in an airtight barrel to burp for 10 days.

It is still better than I have done before tho…:ok_hand:

3 Likes