Diy led grow light NEED HELP

Okay so i built this

both 150w leds from ebay one 6500k the other one 2700k

but now that i came to test it, its only 204 ppfd 15cm away

however the lights are bright as fuck so i think the app isnt working correctly, it does work with led bulbs tho.
maybe its because the light looks like this on camera it seems to be like blinking. My question then is Whats wrong? and can i grow anything under these?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Um how are you powering it? Its blinking because theres no current control. Is it on raw 12v
@jessi23

2 Likes

240v i believie

2 Likes

I can’t get specs for that. On power source use. Usually they blink.because its not enough power to the boards. It needs a driver to increase power safely, If thats just wired up. Thats dangerous friend. do not use that! Fire hazard

4 Likes

what kind of a driver would i need?

1 Like

A couple of things -

1.) The diodes on the PCB are not top BIN so the quality of photons will be off

2.) You need the proper color temp (Kelvin) for bloom (3500k and under). No idea what these run…

You may be able to grow an Auto under it…

Give it shot :+1:t2: May work out. There are several good companies that sell kits if you wanna just scrap that light :v:t2:

1 Like

i’ve got this, could that work?

1 Like

i have one 150w 2700k and one 150w 6500k chips

1 Like

Gotcha :+1:t2: You may be able to grow a small plant… not sure though.

The wiring on that fixture is making my eye twitch … :rofl: may want to wire in series using WAGO’s or IP64 connectors… That looks dangerous. Be safe :v:t2:

1 Like

naaah man, i even tried whether i wired it correctly and the heatsink isnt under current by touching it

1 Like

you can never be too carefull you know wbetter get shocked when i expect it hahahahahahha

Heres what i would look at.

Or led chips.

looks amazing but that would be 62dollars shipping for me haha

1 Like

Where you at? I see im in the wrong thread.

Ok well damn. Sorry. Tried.

1 Like

That’s a Constant Voltage power supply, you want a Constant Current driver for LEDs…what you have in the pic takes your 120/220V from the wall and outputs a constant 12V (unlikely enough to power both COBs, hence the flicker).

1 Like

second light i ordered came in and that one is much better 30cm from light:

1 Like

If the lights is not hot lower it down more.

1 Like

I’d still be careful if you’re running off that 12V output supply you showed…like @PreyBird1 and @poseidon said, you’re flirting with danger. If you’re trying to supply 150 W of power to those lights with a constant 12 V being fed, then using:

P = V x I

150W = 12V (I)

I = 12.5 A of current being supplied, which will max out each board. Most QBs that have top of the line Samsung diodes (e.g. HLG) max out around 4 Amps of current (4000 mAh) before you risk damaging the LED emitters on board…you’re over triple that with your Constant Volt supply.

2 Likes