Doobienoobie is here

Seems a lot of people already here that know me but for those that don’t here’s a run down. Still a pretty new grower but a fast learner. Always looking to learn more. I’m a indoor hydroponics grower. Although I plan to try some outdoor growing next year. Got started growing in order to get off pain pills and give me something to do. Here’s a few pics of my two rooms. Both RDWC systems and lights are DIY Samsung F series strip builds. 14,000 btu AC with heat and de-humidifier included. 1/4 HP water chiller I’m setting up currently just waiting on my pump to arrive tomorrow for it. Airflow is provided by 2 6 inch fans and carbon filters circulating air back and forth between rooms and two Super 8 hurricane fans. Nutrients are greenleaf nutrients Megacrop and a few of their supplements. Hydroguard and Enzymes Komplete. Plus a silica additive from Alchemist. I think that about covers it. Feel free to ask any questions.
First room had 5’x4’ of growing space. About 65 gallons of water in that system.

Second room is a substantial upgrade in size. It’s 8’ x 6’ of grow area and more room for other stuff. Right around 100 gallons of water in this room.

Lights there are 6 200 watt sections. 2 50 watt sections and have a few other lights (500 watts more) laying around to fill in gaps.

@dbrn32 @missiles @purpngold74 @budbrother @blackthumbbetty y’all can tag others since I’m not sure who all is here.

12 Likes

Welcome @doobienoobie to the Dankest Side!
erQvkytb_400x400

9 Likes

Thanks Mac!

6 Likes

images%20(14)

Welcome Doobie @doobienoobie :grin: we are so GLAD that you are here! It wouldn’t be the same around here without you!

6 Likes

@doobienoobie

Welcome to growersnetwork, stay golden … :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Awesome Man! Welcome to the family @doobienoobie It’s like an Irish Catholic family, it just keeps gettin bigger. Happy growin

7 Likes

Heck yeah ! Love those lights … very nice doobie.

6 Likes

Love the set up @doobienoobie after you get the pump, let me know how the water chiller works. Been eying one for awhile now.

6 Likes

Thanks all. Will do covert. Got a case of root rot while I was down from surgery and lost a few plants since I couldn’t change the water out. This should prevent that from happening again. Although I am not going to use it in a conventional method. I’m going to use it in both systems by running it through pipes and a copper coil in each reservoir. I’ll add pics shortly.

3 Likes

This place is freakin’ awesome!

~MacG

6 Likes

Try @blackthumbbetty

Good to see you here doob!

5 Likes

@doobienoobie
Chiller coil should give the chiller a longer service life, by operating with “clean water” instead of water with nutrients. I am considering operating a chiller much the same way. By utilizing a small coil to cool incoming air also, but it will cool the nutrient solution as well.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s my hope. I’ll fill the chiller setup with RO water and a good amount of H2O2 to keep it from growing any bacteria or anything inside it. I think it’ll take longer to get the reservoirs down to temp this way but once they are it’ll be easier to maintain for the chiller. I’m going to insulate both chilled and return lines just to help as well.

2 Likes

If you have a decent heat exchanger in there it shouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

12.5’ of 3/8" copper tubing. Bent to fit the res and will sit over the air stones in the reservoir as well which should help move the water over it better.

There’s one of these for each reservoir. I’ll also be placing a 2 inch piece of PVC under it to raise it off the bottom.

4 Likes

Just and FYI guys. Very low ppm, especially when it is super near zero, demineralized, or deionized, although it wouldn’t necessarily leave lime scale like deposits in the copper lines, it could leach copper from the tubing itself.

My aquarium chiller that I use for my hydro, the internal pathway is made of titanium.

Also, the copper in the reservoir may also be stripped of some copper, adding copper to your nutrient mix. This could then reach toxic levels.

These are all things to consider and be aware of.

Most aquarium chillers are designed with salt water in mind, and so are usually pretty resistant to the nutrient salt conditions in a hydro reservoir.

I just run a little flushing agent through it between grows.

Something like this:

~MacG

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for the info. If this works well then I’ll search out some titanium tubing. I know I can get stainless steel tubing this size but never looked for titanium. Any idea if stainless would have similar issues?

I should add I already had the copper so it wasn’t an out of pocket expense. So if I need to go another route I’m not out anything.

3 Likes

I’d imagine stainless steel would hold up better than copper in our slightly acidic reservoirs.

And a little iron isn’t going to hurt.

I’d be much more worried about enough copper leaching into the reservoir to end up with a copper toxicity, than with the stainless steel and a possible iron, toxicity.

The stainless steel would very likely pit much less than the copper and contribute very little iron to your nutrient solution.
~MacG

4 Likes

Awesome thank you sir. Good looking out there as I never even thought of that.

3 Likes

This is kind of why I was hinting at your heat exchanger material. Thanks MacG for the more detailed answer than I would have given.
The other option you have is a plate type heat exchanger. Which are stainless.

5 Likes