Essential gear to grow from home

So you’ve decided to set up your home grow. Sweet! Now what?!

This thread is to discuss the essential components to get you growing like a pro! There are a few things you will need:

Critical items:
Enclosed Space – tents and closets work well.
Pots
Media
Light
Fans
Nutrients
pH up and pH down
A way to measure ph - pH meter is ideal but reagents work well too

Additional items to consider:
AC
Dehumidifier
PPM meter
Reservoirs
Trays
Irrigation
Inline fans
Odor filtration

To our community members: what gear do you feel is critical to grow from home?

7 Likes

A hepa filter for intake air is good for keeping dust and mold spores out of grow room.
A humidifier and a controller for it would be nice to keep vpd in check.

7 Likes

Humidifier

And lots of

I also highly recommend inkbirds or some other device to help the grower control the environment. Controlling the environment is more than half the battle, in my opinion.

6 Likes

Air movement is a MUST! Fans/dehus/humidifiers are critical components to success with cultivation of plants, all are best controlled with a programmable environmental controller to keep conditions in ideal ranges.

Great point, @pomeroymc!

What in your opinion, is the best environmental controller? I have used Iponic 624’s and 614’s for years but they are very expensive, and, that cost can be a huge barrier for most growers! What are some cost effective controllers some of our @Hobbyist community have used and loved? Any controllers you might recommend straying away from? Why?

6 Likes

The only thing I’ve used so far are inkbirds, they’ve treated me well, so until one goes out, I’m sticking with them. I’m curious also, though, as to what others use and like.

5 Likes

Ionizers or Ozone generators. These can be controversial, as they do need to be set up correctly to be safe. But I find mine necessary in my grow.

6 Likes

I used to use one in the shed between grows, mostly for that dreaded WPM, but have since turned to my sulphur burner for control of that and pests.

But I do use it still once in a blue moon. The sulphur burners come with precautions also. :wink:

5 Likes

Are you using LEDs? And you’ve had no problems?

2 Likes

I cover them. I made velcro towel covers, lol

2 Likes

I like sulfur as a preventative measure against PM. Word of caution: as is true with most foliar sprays, growers should never use sulfur or foliar sprays after the first two weeks after initiating flowering.

Thanks for adding burners, @pomeroymc

4 Likes

Interesting.

3 Likes

Is that just a matter of opinion? I’ve heard and read that everywhere, but I now literally do it on purpose throughout flowering and the night of initial darkness before harvesting. I just make sure to wash my harvest well with hydrogen peroxide/water mix and have yet to taste or smell anything other than my scrumptious weed.

I found Russet mites and gained control of them with my sulphur burning.

I love harvesting and washing and feeling like I’ve killed every bug and every mold spore.

5 Likes

A point to note, I use my ionizers/ozone generators for smell control more than things like powdery mildew.

5 Likes

I like to keep a sensor that can log humidity and temperature. I use one called SensorPush (I think) that uses bluetooth and/or their proprietary gateway to allow for remote monitoring.
It’s useful and seems to do the job better than one of those bargain ones that can only keep an average.
Certainly not essential, but I like my data and this gives me a good chunk of that :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Love sun grown. Dustin of snow last night

3 Likes

yea that mother nature for yea.

2 Likes

Selecting the best location a must learn something new yearly. Full sun till bout 3 pm couple hrs of shade. Intense light at elevation. Must have good wind movement . Then must with mother nature. Love Sun Grown.

5 Likes

My new go to device… my tea bucket and tea equipment…

3 Likes

I used to run a plasma filter in my grow room to clean the air my plants breathe, not for odor elimination. I only stopped because the hepa filters in the plasma filter need replacing, and I keep forgetting.

2 Likes

I will be harassed by the cops if I didn’t have my ozone generator for my exhaust system. Since I got it I haven’t had any visits from the boys in blue;) not that they can do much but they can give me a 2000$ fine for smell by-law infringement lol.

3 Likes