Femanizing pollen and seeds. And an STS how to!

So second generation fem seeds are a big no no?

7 Likes

Yes you cannot femm a fem. Because femmanizing makes the plants genetics weak. And if you make a weak plant and weaken it further its not a good thing. And should be avoided. It could turn back to hemp!

6 Likes

Cannabis plants are really amazing there more like and invertebrate in some ways than a plant. Being Dioecious and annual. You can do femmanized breeding. Just not chemically forced 2x. There are ways.

@TheMadFlascher
What do you think about the long term consequences of feminized breeding in the cannabis plant? Like a long term consequences on the species like reduced diversity in the gene pool due to lack of males?

One of the first successful femmanizing was in bannanas.

Banana is prime example of feminization of a crop; it has been endangered many times due to diseases and pest. They were even talking about losing all these banana trees forever.

Also what are your thoughts on the
Gynoecious male? Im looking for this triat now in a couple males. Exciting stuff. Been reading more into males and more breeding about trying to get an ideal sire. Check this out! I read that all the earlier flowering males have a tendency to push the plants back to hemp and away from higher thc producing plants because the late flowering males are a ressesive gene. And the early flowering ones are normal genes.
"So, back in the days ago, when we originally found cannabis is was more than likely hemp. The best hemp plants are males that have barely begun to flower. These make shorter fibers and a finer cloth. For clothing and many other uses.

So imagine … cannabis is just a hemp plant… you pick all the early-flowering males and make hemp with the plants. Now the late flowering males that have the more recessive male flowering seeds The next generation is seeded by males that flowered their gender late and the group is pushed towards dank. As this cycle continues, eventually you have higher thc, just by selecting the later declared males by harvesting the easiest to identify males for their finer fiber. You were missing the males that produced more thc. Moving the group of plants away from hemp and more towards high thc producing offspring. We could reverse male plants but they still wont get the extra chromosome that gynoecious male exibits. I want one that flowers late and shoots a pistil or 2! To bad i cant tell if the seeds are male or not. I want some of the testing kits coming out where you can tell if its male or female by sampling a small bit of leaf. Ok i got to go to bed enough for tonight.

7 Likes

Hey prey,
I am going to try and engage you in this discussion, but first I must tell you (or confess to you) that Genetics is not my forte!! I had one Genetics class in my major and it was given by a Indian Phd. Nice guy and very knowledgeable, but lectured in a monotone voice that kinda reminded me of eating raw cream of wheat!!!
I found the information about early flowering of hemp males vs. late flowering males carrying the THC genes pretty interesting and was not aware of that!
You are probably aware that your example of bananas is a expression of triploid genes. Evidently the original breeding stocks consisted of two varieties one a diploid (normal genes) and one a tetraploid.
Triploid genes can be induced (but I have NO IDEA how it’s done!) and the triploids have given us seedless grapes, naval oranges, and most recently seedless watermelon.
Forgive me again when you talk about ‘Gynoecious males’. I am vagely familiar with Gynoecious plants (mainly in the cucurbit family). As I understood it, original breeding stock produced a over abundance of male flowers . Through breeding they were able to produce Gyonecious plants which instead produced prolific numbers of female flowers early season yet still some males (minimally) later in the season.
prey, at this point, I am not too concerned about long term consequences of feminized breeding in cannabis. Currently, I can think of no other crop that entertains as much interest in breeding as cannabis (for better or worse!). As I see it, 1. Breeders like yourself recognize that the strong chemicals used to induce feminization will indeed have a deleterious effect on genetic stability of the treated plants. 2. You are more aware than any of us of the tremendous work required to STABALIZE a desireable phenotype…this requires cross breeding/back breeding so I see the strong male plant’s genetic contribution as pretty significant in the process!!
Again, I apologize for my lack of authority on the subject and hope you aren’t too disappointed!!

7 Likes

Damn rf im very disappointed lol

7 Likes

Not disappointed at all. I did know about the recessive gene either. Its very interesting!

5 Likes

I’m just starting to learn this and following closely. So questions arise😁 when I first read the question I thought, you want the 2 mains and that is a trait of the mother also seen from other sprouted seeds. So it must be a dominant trait if it IS reproduced in the offspring. Bx the clone with the mother and BB+BB ALWAYS =BB
But now I’m guessing that bx only works if you have a male correct? Or not that you couldn’t isolate that trait with 2 fems but because they are the same fems you could be bastardizing ( for lack of a better term) future generations??? Am I following correctly?

8 Likes

Yeah you got the gist of it. BX works with a male. Otherwise you have to force the flowering. This basically how they made femmanized seeds. And it sensiseeds and white? Damn cant rember the other one. But they would take 2 plants and stress it ouy by playing with the light schedule and pruning to cause male flowers to grow. You can do some cool things to the cannabis/hemp plant. Male hunting is awesome but getting them to begin with is tricky for smaller guys like me. I dont have room to pop 100 seeds or more at once but in smaller amounts. I have cloned males before so i can have it for later. You just have to remove the pre-flower pods.

8 Likes

This might be a completely stupid question as I have done my very best to never grow a male. Been successful :raised_hands: do the males put out pods without being flipped? You can’t just veg until ready to flip?

6 Likes

Yes they got pre-flowers they will mature and pollinate.
At every node theres 2 sets so 4x on each branch set.

6 Likes

DUH!!! The ones used to sex the plant, brain fart…

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to make sence of this since I got it.

6 Likes

Kinda like a Rubics cube!!!

I greatly admire @PreyBird1 's tenacity and talented gift to persue the wonderful world of genetics!

I am always amazed by the fact that EVERYONE has their unique talents to persue, and indeed make the world whole!!

7 Likes

Hey i like you and your knowledge also. You helped me when i was doing sts femmanizing. @TheMadFlascher your awesome. Oh and my flower runs coming to an end. Do you want to do the bud buster test now! I have the room now? And a few clones i can do a side by side test.

9 Likes

Yes I wanna see you run this stuff! @preybird1

5 Likes

@PreyBird1 I am also very interested in BBP and would love to see you do a side x side!

6 Likes

Oh we are i have many clones and well have some controlled enviroments. So we should have some solid results.

6 Likes

Here’s the 2nd seed sprouted from my STS seeds. She lacked apical dominance. No topping or training. 4th week of flower.

Here’s one of her clones. YES, YES, STS! I’m calling them all STS plants. Sisters Through Science.

10 Likes

Ok folks here we go.
Were going to reverse a strain i just Love. Its called Goji crasher. And this plants is just gigantic! And sooo beautiful. I grew this plant back from a revegged bud so it was a monster cropped cut. It took months to get it back and i almost lost it. Anyways here we gooooo.

The farthest left plant up on top is the one i chose a the polinator.

Ok get set up.

1.Magnetic stirrer
2. 2x 500ml beakers
3. 3x bottles of water 16ozs from costco.
4. Weight boats
5. digital scale
6. 2x 500 ml brown bottles
7. 500ml spray bottle
8. Silverthiosulphate
9. Silver nitrate
10. Safety gear glasses, gloves, apron, mask.

Put a beaker on the magnetic stirrer.

Pour a bottle of water to 500ml mark. Start the stirring.

Weight out .5 gram of silver nitrate and slowly dump it into the stirring beaker.

Stir for about 25 seconds or until disolved.
20220714_193108
Pour the solution into bottle marked “A”

Now put the 2nd beaker on stirring plate. And pour in a bottle of water to 500 ml mark.

Get it stirring and slowly add 2.5g of thiosulfate slowy.

Stir it for 45 secons or until disolved. Then pour the solution into the bottle marked “B”
Now we have both parts to make the final solution.

Now take 50ml of part “B” and pour into a clean beaker. And stirr it up.

then take 50ml of part “A” and slowly add as it stirrs in.

Looks slightly yellow.

Now add this to the spray bottle and pour in approx 800ml so basically add another bottle of water until the solution in the bottle is touching the base of the neck of the bottle where the sprayer attaches.

Ok the solutions ready.
Now cover the root zone with a barrier to keep the sts liquid spray off the plants rootzone.

were goind to spray at the nodes. Turn off the fan and wear a mask.

So here on the nodes spray the sts avoid the leaves.

Now were spraying for 5 days before flip and every night for 5 days up to that flip. And then every 5 days for 30 days.

7 Likes

Here is one of my femmanized strains i made and sent out to @coaltrain and he did a kick ass job of growing it out.

8 Likes