First Grow, 5 Autos, all advice appreciated :)

@pm1090,
Like @sssportsmfg is pointing out you have some stretch going on.
These are mine at 1 week old. 1 NL and 1 Blueberry. My light is 24” from top of dirt to bottom of light.
I am using HydroMars600 that comes in their kit.
Hope this helps…
Stay Growing

3 Likes

If you are talking about me…that is not what I said, i said to put a humidity dome i.e. saran wrap over your pots to keep the soil uniformly MOIST…not wet. And to get your light down closer to stop the stretching. @mudman is also correct, water away from the plant to stop damping off, and that in turn will make the soil in your pot more uniformly moist. The saran wrap keeps the top layer from drying out until the little one gets some roots down to the moisture level in the large pot. Just don’t leave the humidity dome or Saran wrap on too long. Also something that will create a humidity dome higher than saran wrap over the top is preferred, but you are already past that unless you can find a large clear dome of some kind. Your doing fine.

6 Likes

Can you take a pic of your lights height from the plants? I don’t think I should lower mine any more…

Bear in mind that it was only lowered from the ceiling about 2 days ago so they are recovering from a lack of light still but their leaves seem to look much healthier and wider today, 1st pic is light height now, last is where it was before 10 minutes ago and pics in between are how the girls are looking just now:

3 Likes

i can tell you one thing…you are going to have a jungle in there…5 plants in that small tent. I have a 5’ x 4’ tent and only 6 plants, and I just got done yesterday defoliating them I took off a full 18 gal trash can full of fan leaves. Best of luck with your grow rooting for ya. Two cardinal rules for beginners.

1. don’t overwater
  2. don’t overfertilize.

That’s the two biggest mistakes first time growers make, including me 50 years ago.

7 Likes

Here ya go. Hope the pictures help.
If you have lowered already, give them a few days and the see where they are.

4 Likes

2 will be getting moved into another space later down the line

Looks like my HPS is lower than your LED, but heat wise its definitely fine

3 Likes

@katmwall I think that was pretty solid info based on what I’ve read. I’ve seen the LST do wonders on the Autos but topping not as much. Some of the Top growers I follow on the tube however do prefer a 20-4 schedule for their autos, but totally preferential.

3 Likes

Whats up with them? Heat? Moved light a bit away now

2 Likes

LOL…I didn’t post any pics of my lights. All is good. Keep your light about 24" from them babies. You are running a fairly low output light @250 watts. I run a Spider Farmer 4000 …1000 watt equivalent LED board.

This is yesterday after I defoliated

These are not auto flowers, they are photo-period. Yesterday was 4 weeks into flower. According to the seed company they take 10 weeks in flower. So a week away from halfway there.

6 Likes

What do you think about changing it to the 600w HPS instead of the 250w MH? Just been told 600w is too much for them, but that was when they were still sprouting!

Maybe time to up the ante?

1 Like

How many plants are you fitting under one SF4000?

1 Like

6, it will cover 5’ x 5’ My tent is 5’x4’ so I leave it open cause they are hanging out lol. My plants are 42" tall from the top of the pots to the top of the plants. The light currently is as high as I can get it, my room is not real tall, it is a coal room in the basement with short ceilings. The light is currently 13" away from the tallest bud. The pots are 12" tall. Here is a pic from the light to the tallest top.

3 Likes

Are you using the dimmer or just running full blast?

1 Like

full blast. When I bought it it was supposed to have a dimmer dial, (the newest version) but Amazon shipped me old stock. I contacted Spider Farmer directly and told them what Amazon did, and they offered to either replace with newest model or give me $100 off. I took the $100 off. I can still dim it, but to do so I have to un-mount the Meanwell driver and turn a small screw then mount the driver to the board again, and there are two drivers so it would be a pain. I just run it as it came set from the factory. Been running it for two grows now.

1 Like

The two sent to me have dimmers so I guess I got the new stuff. My grow area is going to have low ceilings so it’s nice to know I can get the lights that close.

2 Likes

I have a small 6" fan blowing down on the center of the board, and it cools the drivers and the heat off the aluminum board. It keeps the drivers at a little over 80 degrees. Heat is any electronics worst enemy. My tent is only 6’ 6" tall and there is 4 inches from the tent to the ceiling. My main basement is 9’ 1". If I ever get the junk cleaned out I will move the grow out there and build a room. I think your going to love those boards.

The front row is Sativa dominate 80% The back row of three are OG Kush Indica. They are shorter inter-node spacing.

The two picture are two different buds on the OG Kush, they look almost identical.

4 Likes

HPS is a flowering light, too high in the red spectrum for good Veg growing. Before LED I used CMH and HPS. But would grow them in veg under the Ceramic Metal Halide, and flower under the High Pressure Sodium. if your ballast will power it get a good 4000-5000K CMH bulb 400 watts. And veg them under that.

3 Likes

I will point you to the one of the best auto trainers I know of. No disrespect meant to any one else. @peck and I though Sam was in here :thinking:. Both are very good, but Sam is a super wizard at training autos.
Just my 02 for those I have seen :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Please do, I plan to grow both but I have a fascination with autos for some reason!

3 Likes

He should be by soon. I like that autos. Mostly there light schedule. I can normally do as well with autos as a photo. So I chose autos to focus on mainly :grin:

3 Likes