First Grow!

January 5, I started! I am a first time grower of anything.

• Mars Hydro TS 1000 in 2.3 x 2.3 5.3 ft tent

• Three fabric pots–2 gallon each

• Autoflower fem seeds with heights according to Seedsman (I know, that’s not accurate!) -Northern Lights (31"-59"), Blue Dream (43") Gelato OG (23"-46")

• Plagron RoyaMix with a layer of Platinium Lite Mix on top.

• Soil soaked with pH 6.5.

• Planted seeds in final pots with humidity dome

• Light placed at 25% intensity, 48" above pots. 24/0

. I had some humidity at 99%! Have been adjusting with venting. Getting between 74 and 84 F. Now humidity is at 45%. Soil is damp the whole week (have been doing misting.)

These are photos from Day 5 (today). Look forward to any feedback. (After the feedback, I put some dirt around that stem showing fuzziness in first photo–hope that’s just root hairs!)

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum your soil is way to wet for podlings

6 Likes

Welcome buddy… Look forward to seeing your grow. I think 3 plants are too much for that small area. Unless you were growing from clones and flowering them as soon as they rooted. But until those 3 plants get fully mature. We usually use the 2x4 tents for 3 plants. They will outgrow the width and maybe height if you dont top your plants. Just some thoughts bro

4 Likes

Welcome to GN @sike. Looks like you off to a good start and looking forward to seeing your plants grow. Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Welcome to the GN Family @sike
Hope you learn here as much as we do here.

PS: Your soil is to wet for seedlings that needs to explore, to establish their roots.
The fuzziness looks like mold. To humid around the stem.
Leave them to dry a bit and try and clean of the fuzz with a earbud. Make a lite mix of H202 solution and wet the earbud to clean and disinfect the area.

Happy Growing :seedling:

4 Likes

Yes, I know it’s too wet. I am not sure if it’s because I soaked it the first day before planting (5 days ago!) or it’s because I kept the humidity up with a bowl of water in the tent. I really rarely misted and never gave water to the plant. So I am trying to figure that out for next time.

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback!

2 Likes

I did a lot of asking around online here and in FB. I also kept researching it and I asked my growshop guy who seems experienced. I go many people say it’s 1 pot (3 or 5 gallon) and some saying 2 pots. A few said three pots. When I went to these small (maybe too small?) pots, I decided to try three. Also, many people talking about seeds not sprouting and dying plants so if you want 1 plant three!

1. Tell me: Do I not have to be concerned about the height so much because they are two gallon pots? I just now added the predicted height in my first post (from Seedsman. I know it’s not 100% reliable)
  2. Also, I thought it was recommended to not top autos? If it’s ok, then I don’t mind doing it when they get too tall.

Thanks for the help–keep it coming!

5 Likes

Thanks. Yes, someone said it looks like mold. However, two people said it could be just the “root hairs” and advised I cover it with soil. I assume there is no harm in adding the H202 to clean, true? If so, I will do that.

Sorry, I am so new to this: What’s an earbud?

Thanks for giving feedback and for the welcome! You guys are great!

4 Likes

Hi @sike

This is Cotton Ear Buds.

Don’t add clean H020 to the roots.

Happy Growing :seedling:

3 Likes

2 gal pots are going to increase your height. Your tap root will shoot down first, once it bottoms out, the roots will grow outward. In a 2 gal pot, they will reach the edges very quickly and force vertical growth, because it cant reach laterally any more.

You can absolutely top your autoflowers. I would suggest topping them once you see them push preflowers, (usually around week 4-5).

I would recommend topping them, and since this is your first grow, just leave them in the 2 gal. Next grow you will do different from the things you learn this time around. Topping will force lateral growth, stopping vertical growth from the main stalk.

Let me know if thats confusing lol

6 Likes

Yes, you shouldn’t top autos in late veg because of stress I think. That’s another reason you might run out of head room depending on the strain. And trust me 2.5x 2.5 grows 2 plants very close to each other already. I’m currently doing 2 a little larger plants in 4.5x4. 5. It’s better in many ways because you get better results as in bud structure throughout the plant. You use less nutrients. Less mess… And over all healthier plants. :facepunch:t3::facepunch:t3:

4 Likes

Ah!–just a language difference! I thought you meant an “ear bud” was part of the plant! Ear buds to me are for phones and music. That photo of ear buds I call q-tips or cotton swabs. And I won’t make the H202 full strength–It will be watered down. Thanks!

6 Likes

Thanks. Not confusing at all!

What is my clue it’s in pre-flower stage? Also, I am going to do LST when I see about 4 nodes, do you agree?

3 Likes

Great suggestion! May I ask if you have autos in late veg and what happened? Should I top in early veg? Thanks!

4 Likes

Yep as said clean off the mold growing at the base of the stem…and get a fan on them pronto! As far as the rest…training and topping I will defer to the auto guys, I have grown autos, but long long time ago when they first came out with them. Back then the instructions were don’t touch them in any way shape or form, just plant seed in final pot and grow them as fast as possible. This was back when the seeds all came from Amsterdam and you kept your fingers crossed that they made it through customs.

7 Likes

I have the exhaust fan on. I will turn on the other fan that faces the plants.

Do you think it could be root hairs and not mold? If it’s not mold, any harm in clean it off with watered down H202? Thanks!

4 Likes

Preflower is essentially the stage the plant reveals whether its male or female at. In autoflowers, it keeps right on rolling into flower, where as photos would continue to veg until you flipped lights. Its when the calyxs form on the nodes and push little white hairs out.

5 Likes

Great definition of preflower–Thanks. I have seen some photos of balls vs. hairs–So let me see if I get it: as soon as I see sex I know it’s in pre-flower–is that right?

I assume since I bought fem seeds that are all female unless here are hermies, is that correct? (I am trying to learn with Google/youtube as my friend for research!)

5 Likes

Correct. If your seeds are feminised, you should be fine as far sexing.

5 Likes

I myself have never topped my autos when I did grow them. At the time my understanding was you shouldn’t top them at all because they are so sensitive. But lately I have heard of topping early in veg. I dont do auto flowers anymore unless I plant some outside. I would have to see how developed you’re plants are to say when. But if you have average growth I would probably do 3rd week. But alot of people have different opinions. I would suggest your research for your own conclusions.

4 Likes