First Grow!

Hey, guys! I need some re-assurance or advice: Here are my seedlings as of today. I am concerned that the leaves might be telling me something–but it doesn’t help that I am color blind. They seem to be very thirsty and I watered them 3x yesterday. I know that’s a lot but the soil is drying up fast.

Temp. is 86F. RH is 48 right now but was close to 60 yesterday. That’s not good according to the VPD chart. I will get the humidity up and the temp down today! Exhaust fan is off; small circulation fan is on near bottom.

Are these three doing ok? Note the names on the photos below and I am showing two photos of the Blue Dream.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Blue Dream 1-15-21 (2) Blue Dream 1-15-21 (1)

Blue Dream

5 Likes

Gelato 1-15-21

Gelato

5 Likes

Northern Lights 1-15-21

Northern Lights

4 Likes

@dan10–I got the meter app and I figured out how to use it! (That’s progress for me.) Right now I have Mars 1000 at a foot above, doesn’t seem to warm to the hand. And the PPFD ranges betwee 223 and 306. According to https://medium.com/@sabinedowner/the-ultimate-lighting-guide-for-cannabis-cultivation-cc60b22df835 "Seedlings, clones, and mother plants can be successful with just 200 to 400 μmol∙m-2∙s-1 PPFD. : So, I am going to assume I am doing ok.

Thanks for your help. Any thoughts on my photos from today–not sure if those leaves are supposed to have those shapes and those colors!

1 Like

Hi, good you got the apps working make sure the apps i set to LUX not FC(foot candle)if available from the app, it is different, make sure that the conversion website is to the correct spectrum(Natural Light) you can also you test PPFD result by comparing at different height(12,18, inches)from MarsHYDRO published data , the light is 1 foot above canopy the light intensity must set very low ?, the temperature is very high not good, for me seedling temp approx. 75-80f, the seedling leaves should be turning darker green not lighter green(bleaching/light burn), it is difficult to tell from the pictures.

2 Likes

Ah! Good to know. I have now raised it to 15" above canopy. Kept it at 50% intensity. I think the leaves are a bit yellow. I hope no nute issue! Thanks!

3 Likes

We good, just asking questions and trying to learn everyday.

2 Likes

This is the reason a like to grow because there is a lot to learn and a lot a variable in the whole growing process(and love smoking weed) and cannabis is a weed so it is sturdy plant and can recover from some mistake, I made a lot and that how I am learning.

5 Likes

@grower76 Here is another grower that is just starting out. Read through and see some of their questions and what they are doing.

4 Likes

I am concerned my leaves are bit yellow. (Please note I am color blind --that doesn’t mean I can’t see colors; it means I don’t see them accurately!) Here are some specifics to help you give me advice.

• AUTO seeds planted in final pots on January 5; Sprouted–Jan 8; Currently (January 20) about 2.5 inches high.
  • Mars Hydro TS 1000 in 2.3 x 2.3 x 5.3 ft tent
  • Three fabric pots–2 gallon each. Sitting on plant stands to allow drainage.
  • Soil: Plagron RoyalMix with a layer of Platinium Lite Mix on top.
  • Light: Currently at 75% intensity, 15" above pots. ppdf about 600 (using Korona phone app to measure). 24/0 light cycle
  • Water: ph to 6.0. No nutes. I water slowly 1 cup daily about two inches around plant.
  • Temp and rh: This past week 77F to 80F and 45% to 50% rh. Trying to get rh up.
  • Air: Currently have both exhaust fan on top and small circulation fan on bottom on low. Have two vents open for fresh air but need to close sometimes to increase rh. Have been misting to get rh up.

Some basic questions:
–any feedback on color and what it means is appreciated!
–Raise/lower lights? Change intensity?
–I got some advice that perhaps soil is too hot. If so, what do I do?
–When do I water until I see run off? It seems too early to me.
–I’ve gotten advice from water only 2" around stem to water entire pot; also have been told to wait until it’s completely dry as well as the opposite–to don’t let it get completely dry!

Gelato Blue Dream Northern Lights …All three plants.

6 Likes

They all look perfect so far.

2 Likes

Well, it’s now been 5 days since that last post and although they are larger, they are more yellow and the Blue Dream has a lot of droopy leaves. They don’t look healthy to me. Unfortunately, the yellow doesn’t show so much in these photos.

I didn’t water them on Jan 22, then gave them 6 oz each on the 23 and 24. Temps have been 79 to 81; rh is 37 to 55. PPDF is around 500. (I keep trying to get the rh higher per the VPD chart.)

I keep misting and close vents to get the rh up (no room or money now for a humidifier). I continue to have the small fan on at the canopy and the exhaust fan on low.

I think I am not going to water them today and see what happens.

If you think the soil is too hot, what do I do? (see first post 16 days ago, Jan 5, for the details on my set-up.) Thanks!

3 Likes

To get your humidity up, try @happilyretired method of wetting a towel, hanging it and sticking the tail of it in water. Acts like a wick, keep air blowing on it for condensation and increased RH. It looks like you need to dial in your ambient area first so you can rule out that as your cause. 6oz of water every few days isn’t alot. Hows the soil, wet, moist when you put your finger down an inch or so? They dont take much and even less if the Temp and RH are way off. No transportation
We’ll figure it out…dont panic

3 Likes

Will do: that thing with the towel!

Won’t do: I won’t panic (which to me means take abrupt actions). It’s the opposite–I analyze like crazy. (When people say “don’t overthink it,” I try not to scream. I will be overthinking it no matter what. That’s what I do with everything. Doesn’t bother me to overthink. (However, what I need to do is not irritate people with my “overthoughts”! You will get tired of that fast . . . )

I am lousy at testing wetness of soil. Unless, I just watered it, it always seems dry. And these are fabric pots so they dry more quickly, no?

Does the droopiness of the leaf mean anything to you? Is that rh, hot soil, overwatering? Thanks!

4 Likes

Just a little varigation on a couple of leaves…not anything I would worry about, they look great.

3 Likes

Leaves droop because they have too much or too little water. Is the leaf soft to touch, or stiff and dry feeling? At the size they are, give them about a pint of water every 3 days.

The spots on the leaves, can you do a closeup of both sides of the leaf right there?
How are you watering? Misting them? Do you get the leaves wet while the lights are on? Water droplets act like a magnifying glass and can burn spots into your plants.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding to my post!

• The leaves don’t seem stiff and dry.
  • I am watering by pouring about 6 ounces 2 to 3 inches around the stem.
  • I do mist. To get the humidity up. It doesn’t seem to helping. Those spots could be burns from the light, I know. I am using 24/0 cycle. So yes I water when the lights are on because they are always on.
  • Do you think my soil is too hot? (See description in my first post).

Here is a close up of a leaf and its back as well.

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

Well, I got the humidity up . . .to 83%! Yikes. How: I am using 24/0 lights at 75%. I have been doing your towel as wick trick for two days. So last night I turned off the exhaust, closed the vents, kept the small circulation fan going and this morning noted the 83% with an 81F temp. That’s not a good VPD. In no time, it went down to 65% when I opened the vents.

Leaves are getting worse! Many more are yellow. No good green ones. Here are photos right after watering yesterday.

3 Likes

Well, I think I damaged my first grow. Stunted. Not sure why but still assuming soil was too hot. I have now removed some dead leaves, been watering with milk and espom salt, did some supercropping to the main stem of each of the three did some slight LST–very slight. Although I cracked one stem for sure and one maybe, all three recovered and are facing the light again. Here are some photos.

These is day 28 for these three autos fems:
–Light is now 24" above, full intensity.
–Temp ranges between 75 and 82 F; Rh ranges from 60 to 67%
–Watered yesterday 4 cups to each with epsom and milk until runoff. No nutes. (Hope soil is still hot.)
–Switched lights a week ago from 24/0 to 18/6.
–Removed yellow leaves.
See the top of this discussion for other details (soil, strains, light).

Some questions if you can:

1. Do you think these will still yield any buds considering how I probably stunted them and they are now 28 days?
  2. Seedsman says I should yield 5 to 8 oz from the combined three plants. Do you think I will get at least 2 ounces? Seriously, I am not optimistic.
  3. Do you see buds there at all?
  4. If you have any advice, please share! And with the reasons for making changes as I am trying to learn why I should do what I do.

Forgive me if you feel I’ve abused these girls! Also, if you need better photos, I’d be happy to post some! Thanks, all!

7 Likes