First Time Poster

Hello,

My name’s Kevin,I just wanted to introduce myself and start picking everyone’s brains. I have been working in a recreational grow for the past year, and I have experience growing hydroponically,and some minor knowledge growing in soil.

I’m trying to learn all I can about living soils, regenerative techniques and cooking with cannabis. I hope to learn all I can, and thank you guys in advance for everything!

But my first question is, what temperature do you guys like most when decarboxylating cannabis in the oven? I have been using 220F but it’s been tasting slightly toasted beyond where I was hoping it to be?

Thoughts?

7 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Growers Network. Your puppy is super cute!

@pptrsha1 you know some cooks here?

2 Likes

i bought an instapot and decarbed in it. supposed to be less smell and idiot proof :grinning:

3 Likes

@happilyretired does a lot with edibles so he might be able to help too

2 Likes

230-40° For 30 to 40 minutes in a casserole dish with a lid on it or I prefer in half-gallon mason jar‘s with the lid slightly loose. This keeps all the moisture in the jar so it shouldn’t be so toasted tasting. It also keeps the house from getting stinky. Leave The lid on the container until completely cooled…:+1:t3::+1:t3:

4 Likes

240 is a good temp for no longer than 45 IMO. If you’re interested in my ice cream recipe lemme know. You too @happilyretired. I’ve worked in kitchens for 13 years so this is something I can help out with as well😀. Also are you making cooking oil, butter, ghee?

4 Likes

I do 240F for 40 minutes for flower, 20 minutes for kief.

4 Likes

Just here to follow this! I’m silently taking notes in the corner haha. I have a few pounds of nice trim that needs used up. And Holy shit, ice cream? @tygergrowx speaking my language

6 Likes

Lemme know if you interested. I can dm it to you or if its cool with the. Originator of this post, I’ll give the recipe. Just know if you make over 100k from it, make sure I get a royalty

6 Likes

I’d definitely be interested. Let me 1st say that I have zero experience with making edibles at all. I have tried a couple of times, with terrible success. Basically Decarb wasn’t happening. Since then I’ve been nervous to try more. I’d have to do some learning on steps after decarb 1st lol.

4 Likes

For decarbing, you wanna make sure you break down the buds well but you have trim and shake so you’re pretty much there. I like to spread it out on a sheet pan. At the temps above with those times, you’ll do great. Or if its in your budget get a Levo and it makes it a whole lot easier.

4 Likes

I had been kinda eyeing one of the cheaper infusers. I’d never heard of the Levo until now. I’ll add it to the list after I expand my rooms.

4 Likes

I’d be super interested in that recipe if you’re willing to share it!

I also was a cook for 10 years and started to make clarified butter, coconut/olive oil to start. I love learning how to infuse common cooking materials to make new dishes other than just a brownie or candy.

5 Likes

If you are interested in learning about living should I highly recommend you check out KIS organics podcast. Any and all episodes are packed full of tons and tons of information on just about any subject! Good luck and happy growing!

3 Likes

My recipe is based off a pound turn into a gallon of olive oil. Also this is a hand churn ice cream recipe.
1 quart of heavy cream (not whipping)
1 can of condensed milk (14oz)
1/2 cup of infused olive oil
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of sugar
Optional - if you wish to put fruit, cookie crumbles, chocolate chips and etc you can add as well

In a large bowl, add the heavy cream and infused oil together. Whip the heavy cream to a nice thickness but don’t over whip it, you want it near milkshake texture. Blend in the sugar as you whip to sweeten it to your preference. (it helps to have a nice cold metal bowl. Quick with whipping.)
In another bowl blend the condensed milk with the vanilla extract and salt. Once blended take half of the whipped cream and blend with the condensed milk bowl together then add to the rest of the whipped cream. After that, you can add your extras in while still blending. Always blend with a whisk. This makes me 5 pints and depending on the thc%, you can have pints average a nice 550mg per pint and there are 4 servings per pint

6 Likes

Excited to see so much interaction! Awesome sauce :heart_eyes::grin::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

So when I was a kid, some of my friends parents had ice cream churn’s. So that would be one of the activities we did at the party is everybody took a turn crank in the handle. Had the vessel in the center and they would put ice around it and put rock salt on it and then you have to sit there and crank it for like an hour or an hour and a half.
That being said my question is do you just mix this up and put it in pints and throw it in the freezer and voilà ice cream? Or do you still gota churn it?

3 Likes

That is quite correct!

4 Likes

Super cool, Thank you @tygergrowx for the recipe I need to try this!

I thought I would show off my ghee, and ask if everyone else gets the same colorization, I love the ghee and it lasts seemingly forever, but doesn’t feel completely dialed in yet…

Both of the jars are obviously clarified butter/ghee and the jar is an olive oil infusion!

6 Likes

Do let me know when you make your first batch and how it comes out. I will say that strawberry has been a top tier then chocolate chip.

3 Likes