First time: what should I grow?

Hey everyone,

I currently live in a recreationally legal state and have thought about growing a small personal batch. I’ve been debating between a THC dominant strain or growing for CBD because I plan to be a part of a hemp grow op next year, however we are hiring a lead grower so I don’t “need” to know how to grow, but still want to learn. Does anyone have any recommendations on a strain to try out that isn’t super sensitive? Should I do a THC strain because I can or grow some hemp to get a feel before next year starts? Any seed sources to check out or info I should know before getting a tent and taking a crack at it? Any advice is appreciated!!

Thx!

Leds use diodes and yes they are included;)

I can help with seeds. My one piece of advice. Don’t not know how to grow. You have to know your business. With certain knowledge it will come back at some point and bite you in the butt

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I plan to be in the field assisting next year to learn. As much as I can but in the meantime, wanted to try my hand at this. Do you have any seed recommendations? I feel like I should do hemp / cbd strain as that is what I’ll be growing next year, but if the plant similarities are similar, a solid genetic feminized relatively beginner THC strain would work too. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Hey what’s up Stylez and Welcome!

There are a few resources on line that will help you choose a strain to your liking. In the end, that’s really what it’s about right, what is it you’d like to see grown and try? Places like https://www.leafly.com/ and https://www.wikileaf.com/ can give you some insight on the type of strains you’re interested in. My advice as a first time grower would be to make sure you look for strains that are easy to grow and are good yielders. Some strains are finicky and take A LOT of care and know-how and other strains are very susceptible to a variety of pests and other issues like Powdery Mildew (PM). Then there are easy to grow strains that are NOT susceptible to those things and all they need is good watering. Another thing you might want to look for are feminized seeds.That way you don’t have to play the guessing game on whether or not the plant(s) you are growing are male or female. Good luck brother!

4 Likes

I’ve used leafly before for looking up different strains but never knew they had growing information on there’ thanks. Any light recommendations for a smaller 1-2 plant tent?

2 Likes

What you grow is a matter of personal taste, but all of it can be really fun and rewarding if you have the right materials!
Before buying any hardware for you tent, like lights, meters, fans and everything else, do some research here. There’s thread for most of those things, otherwise, just ask the people here for their opinions. That way you’ll avoid most unpleasant mistakes, you’ll save plenty of money/ressources and have more time to enjoy yourself instead of battling problems.

3 Likes

Yah, not trying to break the bank / go too intricate as most my money is in the bigger venture next year, but a ± $200 small indoor op would be cool to build I think

1 Like

These answers are confirmed

4 Likes

That budget is going to have to go way up my man

4 Likes

What lights do you recommend for a 2x2x6-ish sized enclosure? Something simple for a single plant or two

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Rapid-LED-CXB3590-Light-Fixture/dp/B07BN4RVC3/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?keywords=cobb+grow+light+led&qid=1573360777&sprefix=cobb+grow+&sr=8-7

2 Likes

Quantum board all the way… Not the best for other situations but for a tent that big like mine it’ll do justice with heat output to light ratio

3 Likes

I have many different types I’ve used over the years and to this day. Cree Cobb’s are awesome. Especially the cxb3590

3 Likes

Facts Cree Cobs Are Awesome i use Optic led there fantastic.

3 Likes

Cree diodes are the best out

2 Likes

are the descriptions on that link correct? Do I want the middle selection, 3500? says for both flower and veg… also silly question, but does it include the bulb? or is it just recessed inside the cone? lol

2 Likes

There’s no bulb, it’s led. It’s included. :wink:

1 Like

They 3500k works for full life cycle. Otherwise they offer a veg only version. I own 6 of these. They are just what you need

2 Likes

So it looks like GGT are the best brand but might be a touch out of my price range, is there a close 2nd? Also, I want fabric pots, correct?

1 Like