Flushing process

new too growing cannabis… in my first flush right now not using any chemical to speed the flush up… just maybe looking for some advice from other growers on what your flushing process is

5 Likes

Welcome to GN… In my opinion flushing is straight pH pure water nothing else at all… It allows the roots to feed off all remaining nutrients…but main reason is you don’t want your buds tasting like nutrients… It’s like an oil change for plants

5 Likes

I dont flush unless i have a problem the plant has taken in the nutrient cant be flushed out i want them healthy til the end u are starving is all even after chop plants are still using those nutrients long hang and a good cure changes bud never had a taste or burn issue when asked i say a week min due to some of stuff used emerald harvest is pretty clean stuff never a salt build up i cal mag every other adding to feed burned had to split up but definitely made a difference w/ silica

6 Likes

Agreed :100:… Sustainable feed… But I go back to taste and burn… No nutrient residue before chop

5 Likes

To each his own long cure solves taste and burn time at least a week hang and weeks in a jar dirty nutes will need flushed sometimes longer than a week fish nutes can take a month just depends what u use emerald harvest is made from plants and plant proteins such as hemp seed matches more to their genetic needs boosting overall smell and ti dont believe there is a right or wrong just depends on ur setup

6 Likes

In my opinion it depends on if your using organic vs synthetic and dry vs wet nutes. Dry and organic nutes stick around longer and take more time to desolve. I use organic and dry nutes. I like to put mine in the shower on top of a basket so the water can drain. Then I’ll take the shower wand thingy and flush for about 10 mins and let it sit for a half hour and flush some more. Then I’ll take about 10 gal of dechlorinated ph water and flush them with that. I’ll do that for the last week and a half to two. Weeks. Flushing 2 times a week. You can tell how well a plant is flushed by the color of ash in a joint. If it’s black you still have a bunch of nute build up. If it’s white to light gray then your in the clear. I personally don’t like to smoke dirty nutrient weed. I like to starve my plants and get that crap out the last week.

8 Likes

Nicely said

4 Likes

Thanks man. Everyone has their own style and what they like. When I do my homework on stuff I like to get multiple opinions and figure out what I like best. After all we are the ones consuming our own product so it’s kinda like food. Some people are herbavore carnivores junkfoodavore. I will say that if you don’t flush much then have you tried flawless finish from advanced nutrients? I’ve used it a couple times on a quick flush system and was really impressed by it.

4 Likes

I am thinking about this a lot lately. I had planned on a 2 week flush on my current grow, but after keeping a very close eye on the plants I found that after an initial flush with runoff reading .4 EC my plants looked noticeably worse on the 4th day of straight water. I debated whether to pull them ahead of schedule or reintroduce a light feeding. I gave them a very light dose of nutrients(no nitrogen) along with molasses. My Gorilla Zkittles was the only one that spat out a lot of new white pistils, but all the rest looked much better the following day and allowed me to keep pushing ripening. They have achieved a nice fade on the leaves and the trichs have kept improving. I have adopted a feeding schedule that gradually increases EC until somewhere in late wk 6 and immediately begin decreasing from there. I switch to a finishing formula for the last week and I plan on adjusting the “flush” to 4-7 days, starting with 3x volume water flush combined with 2 or 3 flushes throughout the growing cycle. This is in coco/perlite 70/30, larger plants in 3 gallon pots using water soluble hydroponic nutrients. I also reduce light schedule to 11/13 or even 10/14 for the ripening phase to preserve essential oils and terpenes

3 Likes

Many years ago when I was learning to grow cannabis. I was lucky enough to join a circle of 4 very good friends that had a little organization growing cannabis.
Because 1 of them was my uncle.
Back then 90 percent of cannabis was grown outdoors, so the flush was kinda void.
But one of them grew all his personal indoors. And this man always had the kind.
His indoor was 10 times better than all the other product that this groub grew. ( Thinking about it now I don’t know why all of them didn’t grow indoors also) .
Anyway that’s what I wanted, the kind.
I got very lucky and this man took me under his wing.
He didn’t always flush, but when he did he always told me. The flush is a very delicate operation. The number one thing is to NEVER flush to early, because the last few weeks of the grow is very important for bud development. He told me that this is when the flower bods will fill up and add alot of thc and weight to the buds…
He told me that this is the last thing that makes or breaks a good indoor grow.
So the moral to his lesson was.
Always wait until the plants are ripe before you flush.
And to this day I still do wait.
And that was over 40 years ago.
One sad thing about this story is, i am very rarely able to grow the kind this man use to grow. Due to genetics.
I swear that this man’s weed was one hit weed. And you would rush so hard, that you would see stars. And then it was a happy high and it would last for hours.
Man i would give my left nut for some of that shit right now. LMFAO.
I thought I would throw this out there to give you guys something else to think about.
Later…

7 Likes

I run organics but I flush with hi brix molasses and bloom booster with microbes or a.a.c.t

5 Likes

5-14 day flush

3 Likes

I’ll be honest with you I don’t think not flushing is what makes your ash dark, try cutting a branch off a plant and drying it full of nutes.i find little difference if I cut with nutes in buds that way,but j do find major difference in flavor and smoothness. If you look to the cigar/cigarette/rolling paper cos for answers on ash color you will find it is actually baised on ph. If you over feed eve. A little bit you will end up with scale, if you end up with scale your pH will shift and your ash will become dark and the temp of your burn will be low and you will not get a clean burn at all.try running a plant on 1/2 or 3/4 strength nutes I would bet that you will find the ashes will be clean even full of nutrients. I was in the same thought as you until I experimented and did further research :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You just said it my friend " I do find a major difference in flavor and smoothness" :seedling::herb::palm_tree:

6 Likes

And cure time :wink:

6 Likes

Yup burping all that

4 Likes

That is very interesting. My pops and a buddy told me about the ash thing and I never actually did any research on it. I’m going to have to do some more homework on that one now. To the test facility Alfred! :bat:

5 Likes

Nice burn all white ash is what I’ve always been looking for :facepunch::seedling::herb::palm_tree:

4 Likes

Hell yeah I agree. Almost nothing worse then a beautiful bud being harsh and nasty tasting.

5 Likes

Exactly I was so ready to chop my bubba… Took a sample… No way was she ready… Glad I waited… Been flushing for a week… Going another week before chop now

5 Likes