GN Poll: do you add silica?

We want to know how many @growopowners, @GrowOpEmployees, and @mastergrowers use silica as a supplement. Take the poll below:

• I use silica as a supplement
  • I do NOT use silica as a supplement

0 voters

I was Introduced to Rhino Skin back in the day by a buddy out in California!

4 Likes

Do you like using the Rhino Skin?

I do with the 2 part Advanced Nutrients Line also Structural Integrity by humbolt nutrients

Im trying out silica blast now but for the summer I will go back to rhino skin it adds the most rugged performance in my opinion at high dosages even as you can’t really overfeed silica

1 Like

Make sure to use a root cleanser like Hygrozyme or SLF100 if you use every feeding or watering but i have had great results more so when stress bending and stretching the plants.

2 Likes

How late into flowering do you run your silica?

1 Like

I use silica especially with Superthrive and Hygrozyme all the way through veg even with Silica but bending the plants allows the plants to heal and create a great foundation for the buds to develop and major vascular pathways for the flow of nutrients later in flower

2 Likes

When do you cease using the silica?

1 Like

I usually stop Pro Tekt by about week four in bloom when ramping up EC. It tends to up pH some. The main benefit I see is just super rigid stems and overall vigor that once established and after stretch, not much use after that.

1 Like

Potassium silicate will have that effect. Be careful with how silica affects pH

1 Like

Other than pH float, some of the best money in nutes. Dyna Grow Pro Tekt 003 at 1.1 ml/G

1 Like

Pro Tekt from Dyna Gro is a decent potassium silicate. By volume, the actual silica content in the bottle exceeds most comparable products at 7.8%. It’s cheap and effective.

How do you mix your Pro Tekt?

1 Like

It’s an old standard in the horticulture world and cost effective. I always mixed it prior to base nutes because I know it’s really reactive. I’ve run it with Jacks 3-2-1 and back in the day with House and Garden. Never ran with injectors or Dosas but would probably need to be monitored or diluted prior to blending

1 Like

I currently use GH Armor SI, I like to add it after my base, I add my cal mg 1st to get my ppm’s Up before adding vegbloom. The only silica I add 1st is power si or osa 28. I don’t use them as much anymore because they can get expensive. I think most grower should be using a silica, definitely helps with thicker stalks and stronger stems. Helps build the cell, to protect from stress, also potassium help with nutrient uptake. I stop using my silica around week 6, around the same time I stop with calmg.

3 Likes

Flushing only

1 Like

anyone else use elite 91 silica?

Elite 91 SILICIC ACID –

PLANT AVAILABLE BIOACTIVE SILICON

Elite 91 SILICIC ACID contains one of the most powerful, concentrated forms of silicic acid ever achieved in a stable liquid form. It boasts an incredible concentration of 4.1% Monosilicic Acid and 1.2% plant available Silicon, 21 different organic L-amino acids, and contains zinc, boron, molybdenum and manganese for an extra micronutrient boost.

2 Likes

Disclaimer: The following is not an attack on an any manufacturer!

I put the Elite 91 in the same category as Facilitor and Osa28: these are very expensive monosilicic acid blends. They work very well, but I have a very hard time justifying the price. Have you tried any other silica brands, @vinny ?

Ive used bloom and pro tekt. I actually emailed bloom and elite and asked both about their claims. Elite explained how mono silica is plant available via roots while potassium silica is not available via the root zone. bloom never responded. nutrient availably is important in hydro. thats why I prefer it. pro tekt and bloom have the same ingredient just bloom has 10x the concentration. neither have the amino acids or micros available in elite either.

1 Like

Customer service goes a long way toward customer retention! Glad to hear you had a great experience and continue to purchase the Elite 91. How do your girls respond to the Elite 91?

1 Like

honestly ive never notices a big difference while using any silica products. I noticed a huge difference switching from veg bloom stacks well to uc coco cal. like 2 inches of growth the night I switched. plus the stacks well would foul my res in like 2 days. but silica has not shown me huge benefits yet. im unable to flower in my current situation and just vegging moms and selling clones atm.

1 Like