GN Poll: Do you use an automatic trimmer?

We’d like to know how many growers here are are using trimming equipment. Take the poll below to let us know how you trim your crop.

• Hand Trim
  • Trim Machine

0 voters

Let’s go a little deeper down the rabbit hole: Do you machine trim? Take the poll built by @Cure_Advantage_Ruben here: Buckers, which do you like to use?

Let’s talk about some of your trim strategies.

4 Likes

I have a friend that used to go up to Humbolt to trim. She had a lot of knowledge and I first started growing I asked her to teach me what she knew… I remember her using words like “side-wall,” “street-cut,” “crowsfeat” and “larf,” teaching me techniques like “once around and put her down.”

The conversation around “Bag Appeal” is a good one, and trimming is part of it. We have a trim machine, but it’s so loud that no one goes near it. We trim and watch movies.

5 Likes

In the evolving boutique cannabis market, I also find that hand-trimmed is the preference. For the consumer who wants to buy in bulk at a cheap price, the machine trimmed buds grown by the big commercial farms are often the go-to. Are you finding this to be true in your retail dispensary sales, @Herbert_Ashe?

4 Likes

I much prefer hand trim, especially the “rustic” cut, where only the absolute minimum is taken. After all the point is to remove only the non-trichome leafy portions, the rest is golden. However, as the stage has gotten bigger (1000 pounds a week), the labor force, space requirements, and consistent quality have made us move to machine trim. The latest round of trimmers ( I’ve seen all three majors being used) have improved tremendously. The controls allow for a less intensive trim, so that more of the end product does not resemble “pruned to a cone” nugs. Th end result from today’s auto trimmers should be that one cannot tell a hand trimmed bud from a machine trimmed bud. As cannabis moves to more of a manufactured process, GMP facilities will reign, as they will win on the cleanliness factor and suitability of truly medical material. As for the great trim parties with scissor hash, man those are the days! Peace all.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I actually wrote a blog on this topic about a week ago and i figured I’d share. To @Growernick I agree. the boutique grows really see value in hand trimmed. Especially considering when someone plans to buy flower they really are looking for the potency and aesthetic that can be slighted by automatic trimmers.

https://blog.metro.com/industrial-scientific/hand-trimming-vs.-machine-trimming

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: DL Solicitation w/o pay

I see a lot of facilities indoor and outdoor that use trimmers for their B buds and hand trim all colas and A buds. This is how they can offer both sides to the industry and the price is held higher for the hand trim while the machine trim is sold more on the wholesale side.

4 Likes

Hand trim. I work to hard on my product. I also dont like the way they trim. making your buds look like marbels lol

1 Like

The old ways, are usually the best. Im hands on from seed to cure.

3 Likes

A good hand trim is far superior to anything a machine can do…but (here in Oregon) it just doesn’t pay to use hand trimming for anything but top-shelf indoor product.

Sometimes machine trimming with some manual cleanup (crows’ feet, etc) is a good compromise

3 Likes