Gnats everywhere!

There are thousands of gnats in this tent and I don’t know how to get rid of them. These plants have not been outdoors.
I don’t see any damage or feeding on the plant’s leaves, though.
How can I dispatch these invaders with extreme prejudice without harming the plants?

9 Likes

a layer of perlite on the top of the soil/soil-less will help :slight_smile:

all the best and be safe

Dequilo

10 Likes

Your media is to wet. You need mosquito bits. To water with and yellow sticky traps to catch the fliers. This will stop the gnats. Short term solution. Take a shop vacuum in there and suck em up.

13 Likes

but this is where they came from :frowning: correct that and no more gnats

9 Likes

Mixed up some Diatomaceous earth with clay and lay the top soil with it wet and let it dry out.

9 Likes

Sweet Christ!!!
(insert std meme and wish this grower the best:exe)

I really hope you win this fight. It is winter and burning the house would be inconvenient.

9 Likes

Mosquito bits are 3% bt Israelensis and this is 8 percent bt Israelensis. And liquid!

10 Likes

Hi @ArtVandalay …Slym3r has your best bet…water with the Bacillus thurengensis israelensis and sticky strip your fliers…you will get it under control !

The problem with fungus gnats is that the larva (maggots) feed on your roots…large populations can do significant damage over 14-21 days if not controlled. It can be deceiving, because as you say, you don’t see damage to the foliage…it’s all happening ‘out of site’ !

Good Luck
Bob

11 Likes

Gnats need a water source. Iliminate it, and you will eliminate them my friend. They like moist.

9 Likes

You could help dry out the soil by pointing your fan at it

7 Likes

If ur worried about them attacking ur roots soak them in ironized water :triumph:

7 Likes

By the way I really dig your Lemmy avatar. Great choice!

4 Likes

I took your sage advice and put about a two inch thick layer of perlite on top of the soil in each planter.
The two younger plants in the photos are Bruce Banner. They look healthy to me but I believe the flash, coupled with the led lights, cause their leaf tips to have a yellowish tint.

6 Likes

quickest and easiest way they need to get to the soil to lay eggs cannot

get thru the perlite

all the best and grow well

Dequilo

EDIT let them dry out well and get them on a good wet/dry cycle

9 Likes

Yep a bit too much water (yellow tips) and the mosquito bits are the way to go kills the larva. Never tried the pearlite on the top of the soil. DE will kill them and totally non-toxic. A thousand cuts. It’s cheap too.

All the best, those plants look great.

Marty

8 Likes

Thats what i said brother i hate gnats. Havent had them for years since using Diatomaceous earth and clay powder. But each garden to their own! Plus…you get Silica of the Diatomaceous Earth which is good for plants :potted_plant:

8 Likes

Didn’t you just start growing? :smiley:

9 Likes

4yrs growing bro. 4yrs in this business there is a lot to learn!! But 4yrs is novice. Lets not reveal everything in just one season’ lol

I’m not a show off!!
I have many talents to show but I’m no show off!!

Lets enjoy the friendship ride!

7 Likes

Oh really. Must have mixed stuff up. So many people here… Scuzy.

8 Likes

since I stopped overwatering :slight_smile:

7 Likes