Greenhouse installation

Hello everyone! I´m looking for someone with experience on installing greenhouses, i just bought 2 of 300 sqft each and i´m having a lot of trouble finding someone trustable. Located at Las Cruces, New México.

8 Likes

What’s the problem.

5 Likes

I have no experience on building it, actually have no idea on how to build it. #Shameonme

7 Likes

So you bought them, and they don’t have instructions as to the base or foundation they need to be properly installed? There are probably a thousand different designs of greenhouses.

Marty

8 Likes

Many ways of doing it depending on what you bought… One common way is hammering posts in the dirt, where you can insert your hoops in, that you put every … feet. Then throw a plastic over it, that’s the basic. But man, need to know what you bought.

4 Likes

There you go man this is what I mean, found a guy explaining it on youtube:

7 Likes

Correct, we went on the first option and as dumb as it sounds we didn´t get instructions or a design we can follow.

6 Likes

Thank you!!!

5 Likes

Is the kit pre bent and ready to set up? Or did your kit come with a top rail bender jig? I built my green house and theres a site that shows how to bend the posts correctly and they sell the bender!

Here my smaller one i made.

I started my leveling the ground as best i could. I used a hand tamper to flatten the dirt.

1. Level the ground
  2. Make the base square sand box shape.
  3. Put down a few layers of ground cloth.
  4. Place the base and put wooden stakes made of 2x4’s on the inside of frame and make sure the frame is level and tight against the stakes then screw the frame into the stakes. Get a top rail pole and make the posts your gonna pound into the ground get them all cut to length.
  5. Mark each spot for the post locations and then get a small sledge hammer and a wood block. Set your post at the mark you made and pound them into the ground on the inside of the frame using the wood block as a cushion from the hammer blows as not to deform the tube. If you do mash the end a bit just cut it off a tiny bit. But pound the posts until there level with top of the frame.
  6. Now after you pound all the posts into there marked spots were going to prep the hoops. We need to mark how deep they need to insert into the ground posts before bending and paint both ends of the hoops for easy slip in the ground right to your painted depth mark.
  7. Then drill throught the frame into the posts two places and use 1/4" carrage bolts to hold the hoops and ground posts to the frame as one.
  8. Assemble the roof clamps and top rail of the greenhouse. At this point you should have the base and main frame built.
  9. Attach wiggle wire channel to the outside of the hoops. Start at the top of the hoop and add 2 screws about 8" apart. Then go down 1 side of the channel and use tek self tapping screws to secure the channel to the hoops. And then add the channel along the base frame.
  10. Now you can attach the poly film to the hoops with the wiggle wire. Because it doesnt tear the plastic/film. I used plastic poly clips to hold the poly onto the frame as i installed it. Its like an extra pair of hands to hold the film in place. As you pull it tight when installing the wiggle wire chanels
  11. Trim the excess film off if you care.
11 Likes

I gotta say…the first Midwest Thunderstorm and that plastic would be gone. We get 70 mph winds and when they put the storm water line in the back yard and cut down all the trees, I now have a wind tunnel.

Marty

3 Likes

You might have to replace the plastic, the construction will stand tho, if built well.

3 Likes

@MrMonkey420 @sssportsmfg
I got a place that makes thick film. Mine has a 7yr warranty! I can stand on mine. I hit it with a brush cutter by accident and that barely made i tiny cut at the bottom. I was stunned how strong this plastic is. And i may do another layer and air inflate it for more temp increase. I also have heat trapping uv because i use the greenhouse in cooler months

This is the 12mil film i use.

6 Likes

Yep, don’t go for the “Home Depot” option, invest in a durable plastic cover instead and ur good!

3 Likes

Im a greenhouse grower and built mine, ive got access to some chill build plans if u wanna build a real one vs a harbor frieght kit

11 Likes

What are u doing for heat management/exhaust? Or are u only utilizing it in the winter?

7 Likes

Glad you are back @azseaindooin420

7 Likes

@azseaindooin420 thats a wicked greenhouse nice work

6 Likes

Greenhouse construction thread

6 Likes

@elsoegui Have you successfully build your greenhouses in the meantime?

5 Likes

I couldn’t do it with that setup anyway. Missouri has a shit pot full of rules on outside grow construction. It has to be made of a durable material, (wood fencing slats) you can’t see through it or see what is inside at all. The top must be covered with something that has to be broken into (such as chain link fencing) and it cannot be seen into from the top from any surrounding structure (neighbors house). @nacho151 who also lives in MO with me says it has to have razor wire etc. also.

Marty

5 Likes